4XE hybrid for the Gladiator ? ? ?

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
Don't worry they will just add another tax to gas/diesel + anything ICE-related to pay for doubling the grid delivery capacity.
Then they have to figure out how to catch those unicorns so they can harvest their rainbow farts to create free clean electricity.

That is, until we find this technology:

Battery1.JPG
Sponsored

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
Doesn't matter the type - we don't have the CAPACITY to keep 100% electric vehicles plugged in and recharging. The infrastructure just isn't there, and it's especially apparent in, gasp, of all places, the place that's close to banning ICE, California. Ask some of them about their blackouts - not due to an accident or fool hitting a power pole.
The head of Toyota and of Tesla even agree - their comments are out there. Toyota doesn't care, they don't give a rip - they'll sell vehicles either way no matter what and maintain a huge market share - their thing is that the world isn't ready to go electric due to lack of capacity. It just doesn't exist, and less so in places that would use it the most.

https://observer.com/2020/12/toyota-akio-toyoda-electric-vehicle-japan-transition/

https://www.wsj.com/articles/toyotas-chief-says-electric-vehicles-are-overhyped-11608196665

Musk has said basically the same thing......... the world is not ready in capacity and the auto industry will be in tatters.
Then we get to the - what's the environmental COST of producing and recycling all of those batteries?? What's it cost in clean water, air, and ground? Right now some are saying it's actually just as harmful to go electric.
We love to gloss over the real costs (not just $$) of going all electric or even hybrid too fast with today's technology. There's an environmental impact to be honestly looked at, not all are convinced.
First off: I believe PHEVs are a better choice for many people at the moment. I donā€™t think full EVs are suitable for the majority of people. In the future, they have the potential to become more so if the intent and effort is there.

Secondly: there are many places that have inadequate energy infrastructure. This discussion could very easily devolve into a political one, so letā€™s just leave it alone. If you create a market for them, the public will to improve the infrastructure will follow.

If PHEVs and/or EVs donā€™t work for you, then fine. The same way a sub-compact car or full-sized HD truck is not going to work for me. My issue is people negating the benefits for others just because they arenā€™t applicable to their own circumstances. Conversely, Iā€™m not going to dump on those aforementioned options that arenā€˜t suitable for my needs.

Choice is good. Innovation is good. Technological advancements are what makes our society successful.

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you create a market for them, the public will to improve the infrastructure will follow.
And right here lies the problem = you can't "create" a market. There is demand, or there is not.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
First off: I believe PHEVs are a better choice for many people at the moment. I donā€™t think full EVs are suitable for the majority of people. In the future, they have the potential to become more so if the intent and effort is there.

Secondly: there are many places that have inadequate energy infrastructure. This discussion could very easily devolve into a political one, so letā€™s just leave it alone. If you create a market for them, the public will to improve the infrastructure will follow.

If PHEVs and/or EVs donā€™t work for you, then fine. The same way a sub-compact car or full-sized HD truck is not going to work for me. My issue is people negating the benefits for others just because they arenā€™t applicable to their own circumstances. Conversely, Iā€™m not going to dump on those aforementioned options that arenā€˜t suitable for my needs.

Choice is good. Innovation is good. Technological advancements are what makes our society successful.
I posted the one link to show Japan was one such place along with CA - not picking on them, but they have the best example of something needed badly, but least able to put it in play at this time.
Any densely populated place will have this problem - CA is just an in the news example of power grid problems AND pollution issues.
Pick any place with dense populations for examples of how this won't currently work - or even in the next 20 years. (well, any place with dense populations except Korea, they have it worked out pretty well. I like their public transportation, just wish I could read their signs)

khockey02

First Name
Kalem
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
And right here lies the problem = you can't "create" a market. There is demand, or there is not.
Of course you can create a market. Most people donā€™t know what they want until they see it. Granted it wonā€™t last long if you canā€™t generate the demand.

Sponsored

khockey02

First Name
Kalem
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
I posted the one link to show Japan was one such place along with CA - not picking on them, but they have the best example of something needed badly, but least able to put it in play at this time.
Any densely populated place will have this problem - CA is just an in the news example of power grid problems AND pollution issues.
Pick any place with dense populations for examples of how this won't currently work - or even in the next 20 years. (well, any place with dense populations except Korea, they have it worked out pretty well. I like their public transportation, just wish I could read their signs)
Not to mention most people around where I live in the SF bay have to park on the street and couldnā€™t consistently charge their cars at home if they wanted to. I do think the infrastructure issue is solvable, but not nearly as exciting as shiny new electric toys.

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
"Create" was probably the wrong word. "Identify a problem and address it with a potential solution." Sometimes the solution creates other problems; I get that. But sometimes those new problems are easier to address. And yes: I understand that some may not think there is a problem to start with; that's a discussion better left for another site.

And as @khockey02 mentioned; sometimes there is no market demand until it becomes available. I don't want one of the other PHEVs currently available on the market; a PHEV Jeep Wrangler? Or better yet, a PHEV Gladiator? You betcha. Electricity is cheap and plentiful here; gas: not so much. If I can commute on full EV and save the use of the ICE for long-distance travel? Yes please.

YMMV.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
There was a documentary on Apple a while back - they do create demand. They said so. They said they project out into the future and think of ways they can make people want what they come up with - without a demand, but by creating one. You make something, market it as cool, the greatest thing ever, all your friends will want or have it, you're not cool if you don't have it and bingo - you have created demand where there wasn't any. It's psychology.
Apple uses that a lot. Just look at their older commercials for their music products. You want to be hip and cool and really fun like these images, then you must own this (even if you didn't need it)

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And I should have said the government canā€™t create a market, no matter how much of the Taxpayersā€™ money they give away.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A PHEV with 30 miles range is the greenest car you can buy. For most people it will run 95% electric and it will do so with a battery 1/10th the size of a comparable BEV. Lithium batteries are horrible filthy terrible things. To get 95% of the emissions reduction (and that assumes zero emission electricity, which isn't reasonable) with a battery that's only 1/10th the size is a huge deal.

Sponsored

Trippin01

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX450h, 23' Supra
Occupation
Deputy Sheriff & Retired Army
Vehicle Showcase
I noticed the 4xe package added close to 1000 lbs to the wrangler. This would cut the over all load capacity of the JT by 1/3 to 1/2 the over carrying cap. No thanks. I would rather see a better, 4 cylinder diesel, with better cooling than the current V6 crammed in there, just because they had it lying around.

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I noticed the 4xe package added close to 1000 lbs to the wrangler. This would cut the over all load capacity of the JT by 1/3 to 1/2 the over carrying cap. No thanks.
Do people even research before posting ā€œfactsā€ anymore?

From Jeep.com:

Wrangler 4xe Sahara:
Jeep Gladiator 4XE hybrid for the Gladiator ? ? ? 3F37A867-7D18-4494-93ED-FE00412C85B0

ICE Wrangler Sahara:
Jeep Gladiator 4XE hybrid for the Gladiator ? ? ? 237F1A28-B0CF-4F61-9589-EA23DA5633B8

Trippin01

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX450h, 23' Supra
Occupation
Deputy Sheriff & Retired Army
Vehicle Showcase
I was off 300LBS. It still adds 700 lbs. no thanks. But its a start. I can't wait to see a useful evolution of the hybrids. Its just not there yet.
Sponsored