Sponsored

scramboleer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Willys Wagon, 1982 Jeep Scrambler CJ8
We off-road at a off-the-grid family cabin deep in the woods of remote Northern California. I for one am looking forward to the instant torque of the big electric motor. Can't beat torque! The added benefits of smoothness and quietness as well as being able to "refuel" every night in my own garage while I'm sleeping is just a benefit. It also will be able to run on electric for many short daily trips... huge fuel savings. What's not to love?

It will be one of many powertrain choices. We can each pick what works for each of us.
Sponsored

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Kia Cadenza, 2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S
why......just why? I would rather have a V8 Gladiator than downgrade to a 4 cylinder jeep with or without a hybrid option! I don't understand why they are doing this. unless you want to compete with something like the new Hummer is it even worth it? i mean the first batch of hummer EVs are going for $100,000+!!!! i don't stand what they are doing. we need the V8!!!!
Lol, just look through the last 5 pages to see that there are others that DO want this. We'll see how popular the Wrangler 4xe is in the coming year to see how well it will do, but I think a lot of people will like it. The 4cyl Wranglers are already pretty popular as the V6 is fairly gutless AND is down on efficiency, it's just long lived that way.

The prospect of people being able to make large portions or the entirety of their shorter commutes (like me) is highly appealing. My truck is my DD and I love it. It sees some off road fun but not very often. I don't care about a loud obnoxious throaty V8 sound and a rumble from the front for blood to start flowing anywhere to remind me I can get it up still.

I like the quietness of the V6 and will be OK with the 4cyl, especially when it has the electric motor attached. I won't really use the torque except when off roading as I'm not a huge speed demon. Another reason for not really needing or wanting the extra thirsty V8. I'm not mashing the throttle anywhere around town or on the trails and again the noise factor isn't a thing for me. You also have to remember that the 4xe has similar ratings to the V8, so it's not like it's neutered or "unmanly". Remember, some of the worlds best performance hypercars are hybrids, just think of what would've happened (or not) with those if there were more people like you that screamed about hybrids lol.

The prospect of paying less for fuel overall is great, especially for those of us who fear gas prices are going to rise quite a bit in the future. I'm not really bashing the V8, it just isn't for me. Do I go around decrying its existence because I personally don't really want 1? No, I'm glad others will have the option. Maybe don't knee-jerk so hard next time? Especially within for first couple of posts on the site lol, it looks bad.

Last edited:

that_gladiator_kid16

First Name
matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sports S
Occupation
Part time docksman
Vehicle Showcase
well i guess its just me then who loves a lot of horse power then haha

scramboleer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Willys Wagon, 1982 Jeep Scrambler CJ8

Deleted member 30519

I finally purchased a vehicle for the long haul but it looks like gas prices and green deals are gonna be the death of my JT. I noticed someone on here saying gasoline engines could be banned soon. They better look like giving 150% trade in value on my Jeep then . LoL

Sponsored

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
I noticed someone on here saying gasoline engines could be banned soon. They better look like giving 150% trade in value on my Jeep then . LoL
New model releases. No one is banning your existing ICE vehicle.

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
I know that. I was talking about the near distant future...
You said someone mentioned banning gasoline engines in the future. I just said that initiative does not include banning existing ICE vehicles.

Whether that changes in the future is anyone's guess. I'm sure someone will say it will happen, but that is just speculation at this point.

Stop worrying about what may or may not happen and just enjoy your Jeep. <-- (directed at everyone, not you specifically).

Edit: reminds me of this Lexus commercial from 2017:

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
well i guess its just me then who loves a lot of horse power then haha
Not so at all, many people are championing the 392. While it's not what I'm looking for I'm happy it's an option because options are good for us as consumers. We just have to wait to see how many people will actually buy them, it's an expensive option if I remember correctly and I'm sure it gets even worse mileage than the V6.

The V8, I think, will be only for certain hardcore enthusiasts, I doubt it's going to be a big volume seller. I bet you'll see FAR more people buying the 4xe, thus justifying its position in the market far more favorably than a V8. The current politosphere is environmental sensationalist extremism and promoting EVs, without looking at the factual full cost of that environmentally. That is causing a huge shift to these hybrid and EV techs and they are becoming mainstream = larger volume of sales.

I imagine we're going to get to a crunch here in the decade or so with all these PHEV and EVs coming to the consumer where we see the feds have an "oh shit" moment when they realize the grid can't take the growing demand for power consumption by everyone with a newer vehicle. California is already having problems but they're such a weird ultra-left state that they ignore it and would rather blame bald eagle farts than their precious EV goals and will declare open season on the poor birds.

The cost of switching over to EVs is going to be enormous in terms of enviromental and fiscal cost. We don't know yet what the actual cost for any of this is going to be, but boy is it going to be high. With all this in mind I think it will be good for ICE vehicles to be on sale still, which is another reason I like the 392 to be an option.

I know this went a bit sideways sorry, I'm at work and trying to do other things too.

TLDR: Choices good, push to pure EV for everyone quickly = bad. PHEV = good

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You said someone mentioned banning gasoline engines in the future. I just said that initiative does not include banning existing ICE vehicles.

Whether that changes in the future is anyone's guess. I'm sure someone will say it will happen, but that is just speculation at this point.

Stop worrying about what may or may not happen and just enjoy your Jeep. <-- (directed at everyone, not you specifically).

Edit: reminds me of this Lexus commercial from 2017:
Lol, nice signature, just now saw it.

Sponsored

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lol, nice signature, just now saw it.
Lol, thanks; I've been coveting a JT for quite some time now, but the timing to buy just isn't right at the moment. With the rumoured announcement of the JT 4xe, it gives me a good reason to wait. Q3 2022 seems to be the consensus when available, and that timing should put me in a better place to finally pull the trigger.

khockey02

First Name
Kalem
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Lol, thanks; I've been coveting a JT for quite some time now, but the timing to buy just isn't right at the moment. With the rumoured announcement of the JT 4xe, it gives me a good reason to wait. Q3 2022 seems to be the consensus when available, and that timing should put me in a better place to finally pull the trigger.
I’m in a similar boat except that I bought a Sport S last year. I said then I wouldn’t get rid of it unless an electric Gladiator came around... I guess this counts, I just didn’t expect it to happen so soon.
It’ll be nice to have at least a year of proving the platform on wranglers for a more informed decision when orders open up.

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
I like it, because. They announced this first in the jeep wrangler. Then they announced the 392 V8 not long after.

Dqban

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator overland
Occupation
APRN
The grid is gonna handle it just fine. It will it upgraded like everything else. Its not like everyone is going to plug in at the same time anyways and charging off your regular house outlet is still only drawing 110

Dwosgood

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 2000 TJ
I placed an order for a JL Rubicon 4XE on January 25th. My wife and I bought a house and now I have a commute to work through SoCal traffic, so I figure it’s going to save me some money on the front end with gas prices about to sky rocket. The added benefit of the $7500 federal tax credit makes it a much easier purchase to swallow, considering I’m having to trade in my JT lease early.

I’ll certainly miss having my gladiator, but 60 miles a day in stop and go traffic at 16mpg (on a good day) is not sustainable. Even if the 4XE doesn’t meet the projected “50mpge” expectations, it’ll likely be light years better than what I’m getting right now.
Sponsored