Sponsored

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Kia Cadenza, 2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S
I'm still waiting for a Jetsons type vehicle but probably not going to happen in my lifetime.
Convert your car into a Homer and be happy. Best you're gonna get.
Sponsored

Mitten2Mountains

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JKU

TheGerman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel
Occupation
IT
The 4xe is already online in us for build and presume ordering.
Built one last night.
There are three models of wranglers
I was going online almost every day to check when I can order the 4xE to replace my JKU with +205k miles on it. And of course I missed the day Jeep finally added to their site. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Sank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 LJR, 22 JTRD
I'll be getting a PHEV Gladiator, for the torque and because I have plenty of solar power at my place, and my commute is relatively PHEV friendly...both combined will make it cheap for me to drive. I'm ok with the added complexity of the systems.

REALLY hoping to order one in the 2022 offering this fall.

Sponsored

brotharon

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Freelance Stamp Collector
I know that haters gonna hate and all, but it really does depend on your application. For me, my gladiator mainly takes me to work and then home again. Work is 7 miles from my house, I commute 14 miles each day (when not at home working because of covid). 25 miles of range take 2.3kw/h to charge. 1 commute leaves me with 11 miles of range remaining. Day 2 is 11 miles on electric and 3 miles on gas. I can go 365 miles on a full tank of gas. 260 commuting days a year (or thereabout) divided by 2 because I only use gas every other day means I use 43.3 gallons of gas a year. My gas bill at 1.70 a gallon (I live in Houston) for the year is 73.66. I still have to charge my Jeep though, and electricity isnt free, so I charge 2.3kwh every other day or 130 times a year at 9.2 cents per kwh (that is the price that I have in my contract and what I pay for electricity after all taxes and delivery charges) leaves me with a bill of $20.33 for electric charging per year which works out to $93.99 with the gasoline per year or $7.83 a month.

With my 3.6 gasser that math is easier. I get 17.5 mpg. My commute, annualized, is 3640 miles which uses 208 gallons of gas. At $1.70 a gallon I spend $353.60 a year or $29.50 a month.

Obviously other things can factor into this equation (tax credits/penalties, registration fees, initial cost of hybrid motor, solar panels on your roof), but, depending on your situation, a hybrid may make more or less sense.

scramboleer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Willys Wagon, 1982 Jeep Scrambler CJ8
Average cost of purchasing & installing charging station?
A good UL-rated, made-in-the-USA 240V "Level 2" home charging station is $400 or $500. It can use an existing dryer circuit or welding circuit in your garage, or you or an electrician can add one to your panel. Costs there range widely.

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I want one because my drive is also about 7mi for work and this is my DD. I also have free charging stations at work that I can use that offsets my electrical costs (personally). I hope they come out with a Sport S version of this for us seeing as we don't have a Sahara, I don't want to be stuck with only an Overland or Rubi. I love my Sport S and all I want to really add to it to make closer to the Rubi is some front swaybar quick discos. I can also do bumpers/fenders/armor/small lift if I think I need those and still save a lot of money w/o getting a Rubi.

As someone who never owes anything in taxes and always gets back (about $1100 this yr) would the EV/hybrid tax credit really do anything for me? Also, does leasing give that tax credit to the lesser/manufacturer?

Would remote starting the 4xe result in it heating/cooling in EV mode if there's energy, or would that auto start the ICE I wonder.

Last thing, should you charge a PHEV every day or only when the battery is essentially drained?

scramboleer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I want one because my drive is also about 7mi for work and this is my DD. I also have free charging stations at work that I can use that offsets my electrical costs (personally). I hope they come out with a Sport S version of this for us seeing as we don't have a Sahara, I don't want to be stuck with only an Overland or Rubi. I love my Sport S and all I want to really add to it to make closer to the Rubi is some front swaybar quick discos. I can also do bumpers/fenders/armor/small lift if I think I need those and still save a lot of money w/o getting a Rubi.

As someone who never owes anything in taxes and always gets back (about $1100 this yr) would the EV/hybrid tax credit really do anything for me? Also, does leasing give that tax credit to the lesser/manufacturer?

Would remote starting the 4xe result in it heating/cooling in EV mode if there's energy, or would that auto start the ICE I wonder.

Last thing, should you charge a PHEV every day or only when the battery is essentially drained?
1. Regarding the tax credit, this post over on the Wrangler forum explains it well. Basically the $7500 is deducted from your taxes. Depending on your withholdings, this impacts how much you pay or get back as refund.

2. One of the awesome things about EVs is that you can precondition them from the grid if they are plugged in. You can set your departure time and desired temp such that the interior warms up to the right temp, and defrosts/defogs the windows in the winter or kicks on the AC and cools down the interior in the summer. It's pretty sweet. You can get into a toasty warm rig on a cold winter morning or when you leave the office for the day during the winter. Likewise in summer.

3. Most car companies leave a buffer in the battery (and reflected on the gauges) such that "100% charge" of the battery as well as on the battery gauge on the dash is actually less than than maximum capacity of the battery, leaving a buffer for longer life. This usable battery capacity is what's used for the EPA calcs as well as daily driving. This is to make it easy on the customer. You simply plug it in and forget about it.

Telsa is different. The buffer that Tesla leaves in their batteries is much smaller, meaning "100%" indicated is much closer to the actual max battery capacity. This is why Tesla recommends that owners only charge to 85% for daily driving, and instead push the "max charge" or whatever it's called the night before a long road trip.

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1. Regarding the tax credit, this post over on the Wrangler forum explains it well. Basically the $7500 is deducted from your taxes. Depending on your withholdings, this impacts how much you pay or get back as refund.

2. One of the awesome things about EVs is that you can precondition them from the grid if they are plugged in. You can set your departure time and desired temp such that the interior warms up to the right temp, and defrosts/defogs the windows in the winter or kicks on the AC and cools down the interior in the summer. It's pretty sweet. You can get into a toasty warm rig on a cold winter morning or when you leave the office for the day during the winter. Likewise in summer.

3. Most car companies leave a buffer in the battery (and reflected on the gauges) such that "100% charge" of the battery as well as on the battery gauge on the dash is actually less than than maximum capacity of the battery, leaving a buffer for longer life. This usable battery capacity is what's used for the EPA calcs as well as daily driving. This is to make it easy on the customer. You simply plug it in and forget about it.

Telsa is different. The buffer that Tesla leaves in their batteries is much smaller, meaning "100%" indicated is much closer to the actual max battery capacity. This is why Tesla recommends that owners only charge to 85% for daily driving, and instead push the "max charge" or whatever it's called the night before a long road trip.
Thanks for the info man, appreciate it.

The thing about the charging the batteries though:

I'm aware that's not showing the true cap of the batteries and there are cells left in reserve (much like a for storage on a computer) so that when a cell fails it can replace it, no problem. My thing is though like many other types of batteries count charges and the more frequently you charge it the faster the battery depletes those cells.

My question was referring more to should I just plug it in at work every day and charge to 100% or plug it in every other day when it's near maybe 20% or less of "cap"? And I'll have to go look at the JL forum to see if leasing would still get me the credit. Either way, thanks again for the answers :)

Sponsored

scramboleer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Roger that.

I'll ask around about how much to charge the battery to on a daily basis.

that_gladiator_kid16

First Name
matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sports S
Occupation
Part time docksman
Vehicle Showcase
why......just why? I would rather have a V8 Gladiator than downgrade to a 4 cylinder jeep with or without a hybrid option! I don't understand why they are doing this. unless you want to compete with something like the new Hummer is it even worth it? i mean the first batch of hummer EVs are going for $100,000+!!!! i don't stand what they are doing. we need the V8!!!!

Higher_Ground

First Name
J. T.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Sport S
Well they are making both for the Wrangler... encourage everyone you know to buy Gladiators so they'll make even more of them.