First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
Average cost of purchasing & installing charging station?

If you have a 220v outlet already and want a good charger $700
If you need an outlet installed $1500 total
If you want solar, the charger is free of charge with every system we install

We cover 36 states

Those are my prices. Forum members can get 10% off
Sponsored

Last edited:

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
If it can tow the same, I'm all in.
This.

In order to make the EcoDiesel feasible in the JT, they had to up the GVWR a couple hundred pounds and decrease the payload rating a couple hundred pounds. It barely worked and remained somewhat useful as a pickup as long as you're not towing with a family in the truck.

Here you're talking about adding several hundred additional pounds worth of batteries and electrical motors and wiring to an already piggish vehicle for its size. How will they manage payload and towing capability? If they try to account for all of this by yet another increase in GVWR it'll put the Jeep pickup beyond the Ram pickup, which I don't see happening.

On the F-150 hybrid, they're using a 7,350 lb. GVWR so they can get to a max payload of 2,100ish lbs. on certain trims. Most trucks that you see on the lots will likely be in the 1,500ish lb. range. Since the Jeep Gladiator weighs the same as a non-hybrid F-150, I'd expect that a 4xe Gladiator would see the same increase in curb weight as the hybrid F-150. So, they'd have to increase the JT GVWR another several hundred lbs. to maintain any respectable payload and towing ability at all. That's asking for a lot.

It'll be interesting to see how they handle this situation. My guess is that you won't see anywhere near the same tow ratings on the JT 4xe as you do on the current crop of JTs.

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
We also don't know the specs on the Gladiator battery, as it could very well be different than the Wrangler battery. Gladiator weighs more and has different program requirements, especially regarding towing and cooling. The back of the cab is also different... if the battery is housed under the rear seats like it is in the Wrangler.

The battery might be the same as the Wrangler's, it might also be bigger, and it might even be packaged on the chassis totally differently. Might not even have the same range.
Don't see how it could differ, the Wrangler battery is under the back seat and both locations are identical between the Wrangler and Gladiator. They're not going to do anything different for the Gladiator.

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
I will never ever again buy any vehicle with any form of hybrid setup. Gas, or electric, not both.

Also, don't want electric either so there's that. I would never be able to use a fully electric Gladiator how I use a gas one.

But... happy for everyone else to grab them, that's why they can offer the Hemi based on overall fleet mileage.

Sponsored

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
Also someone above mentioned 50mpg. Thatā€™s not accurate 50MPGe is definitely not 50mpg. No Jeep in the traditional format could ever achieve such a thing due to the horrible drag coefficient etc
Yes Jeep states for the Wrangler 4xe a range of "almost 400 miles"
SO call it 395 miles, take the all-electric 25 miles from that = 370 mile gas range.
Fuel tank = 17.2 gal --> 21.5 mpg gas only, 22.97 mpg if you throw in the EV (which is not 'free')
Probably will be quicker than the 392 tho?
The JL hybrid system adds 500# to the vehicle so there's that to consider also.

IamAlan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Snazzberry Willys
Occupation
Retired
Average cost of purchasing & installing charging station?
I've read that the unit is $700 to $1100 and install costs anywhere from $1000 to $2000. You're looking at a two bill minimum.

wvuviv30

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTO
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Live Sound Engineer - Meerkat Sound
After owning a Honda Accord Hybrid... I'll never buy another Hybrid, maybe the Plug-In is different. The hybrid is great if you drive it often and at low speeds (below 40-50 mph).

When I was commuting 150 miles a day (80% highway), was getting the same MPG as the 4cyl. Then COVID hit and I didn't drive but 2-3 miles in a week to the grocery store, well that killed the battery and it wouldn't hold a charge anymore.

I'd like to see the 2.0T as an optional motor as well.

BCC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Retired
As part of living the green life, we bought a Chevy Volt and loved it for 6 or 7 years. The 90 solar panels on the house kept it charged. The electronics in the car failed twice in the last year of ownership, stranding us both times and cost $2500 to repair. We then sold it.

I like the idea of electric assist on a Gladiator, but wouldnā€™t keep one longer than the warranty.

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
As part of living the green life, we bought a Chevy Volt and loved it for 6 or 7 years. The 90 solar panels on the house kept it charged. The electronics in the car failed twice in the last year of ownership, stranding us both times and cost $2500 to repair. We then sold it.

I like the idea of electric assist on a Gladiator, but wouldnā€™t keep one longer than the warranty.
What was the problem with the electronics? I would think the gas engine would keep you from getting stranded, so was it related to something else?

Sponsored

BCC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Retired
What was the problem with the electronics? I would think the gas engine would keep you from getting stranded, so was it related to something else?
In the Volt, the gas engine works as a generator and does not drive the wheels. I donā€™t remember exactly what failed each time. In both instances it was some kind of.a controller for the Electric motor. The point I do remember, was the technician talking about how many addition electronic parts were on the vehicle Than a conventional vehicle

An electric motor has less parts than a combustion engine. So in theory, once the technology matures and battery capacity improves, electric only cars should be more reliable than conventional. Right now, the complexity of having both is just additional fail points, in my view.

The Volt was a great car for the first 125,000 miles we drove it. It was the fact it left us stranded twice that soured us on it, not so much the cost of repair.

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
In the Volt, the gas engine works as a generator and does not drive the wheels. I donā€™t remember exactly what failed each time. In both instances it was some kind of.a controller for the Electric motor. The point I do remember, was the technician talking about how many addition electronic parts were on the vehicle Than a conventional vehicle

An electric motor has less parts than a combustion engine. So in theory, once the technology matures and battery capacity improves, electric only cars should be more reliable than conventional. Right now, the complexity of having both is just additional fail points, in my view.

The Volt was a great car for the first 125,000 miles we drove it. It was the fact it left us stranded twice that soured us on it, not so much the cost of repair.
Thanks for the clarification. I wouldn't base my decision on another brand, however. The advantage we have as Gladiator buyers is that the Wrangler 4xe version will be out first and someone else can be the guinea pigs. ;)

Reactions: BCC

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜06 CRV, ā€˜14 Mazda3, ā€˜20 JTR (Gator)
I already have an plug-In hybrid (Prius Plug-In). It gets 10 miles on a charge before the gas engine runs. Without plugging it in, it gets an average of 50 mpg. So I'm saving 1/5 of a gallon of gas per charge. That saves me $0.45 in gas (at $2.25/gal), but it requires 2.3 kWh to charge up. At $0.20/kWh, it cost me $0.46 in electricity. So, I'm paying more money by charging the vehicle than I would pay in gasoline at the pump. I wish I could save that $200, but I can't.

At $4.00 a gallon, I might be saving, but I would need to charge it over 588 times a year to make up that $200 tax. It takes 2.5 hours to charge by the way.

For those who have a non plug-in hybrid, Ohio charges those vehicles an extra $100 per year for their license plates.

This is a relatively new tax that they added in January 2020.
That doesnā€™t consider the ā€œfreeā€ charge you get while the gas engine is providing the propulsion and the ā€œfreeā€ miles that result. There are probably other pros and cons that are not obvious to the casual observer.

Oil_Burner

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, Explorer, Prius, C6, Diesel Pusher MH
Occupation
Engineer
That doesnā€™t consider the ā€œfreeā€ charge you get while the gas engine is providing the propulsion and the ā€œfreeā€ miles that result. There are probably other pros and cons that are not obvious to the casual observer.
I'm not understanding you, unless you are referring to the benefit of a hybrid vehicle.

I actually have 2 Prius'. A 2010 standard hybrid, and a 2012 which is a plug-in Prius. The 2012, after the battery is depleted from its charge, works exactly like the 2010 hybrid Prius. The primary difference being that the 2012 can reasonable go 10, possibly 12 miles on a charge before it reverts to functioning like a standard hybrid.

The difference is the 2010 hybrid Prius has a $100 extra plate tax. The 2012 Plug-in hybrid Prius has a $200 extra plate tax. Both taxes started on 1/1/2020, long after I purchased the vehicles. Take a Tesla Model S, with 412 miles on electricity. It also has a $200 extra plate tax.

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜06 CRV, ā€˜14 Mazda3, ā€˜20 JTR (Gator)
Iā€™m just saying that you pay cash for gas and cash for electricity to charge at home, but the gas also covers several recharge cycles while in hybrid mode, so those are free re-charges that nets free miles. You need to incorporate those free miles in your calculation of payback on the plate tax as well as the pump tax you are not paying for the miles driven on electric. The better your MPG (which includes your e-miles), the lower your tax per mile (TPM) will be... with the plate tax you need to calculate the TPM on a yearly basis. If you are driving less due to covid then your MPG may be staying constant but your TPM is going to suffer due to the plate tax.
Sponsored