Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
5-10 years? Way overly optimistic. Can't happen that fast. Not here. Corporate conservation is meaningless in the residential areas impacted by lack of reliable power.
So the Tesla will power the grid?
Battery technology will improve RANGE and lighten them up and make them safer - but the amount of energy is constant. You don't get free power. You can only convert, and to convert back requires the same amount going in that comes out.
If it takes xxx HP to go 500 miles and the battery is down, it takes that much to put it back (and more actually) New batteries mean increased range, lower weight, hopefully cheaper cost, less waste, but doesn't mean the vehicle won't need power from the grid to put back that which is removed. Batteries store - convert electrical energy into chemical storage, then convert it back to electrical energy again. What you remove you must put back. Granted it takes a lot more to put back with the old-school batteries, old technology, but still - what you use must be put back.
Cannot change the laws of physics, cap'n.

Where I live - there's not a single place to charge a vehicle and hydrogen is RARE, here's an example, does anyone believe we'd go up to enough places and ways to charge in 5 to 10 years?
This is Iowa and look even at biodiesel and E85 - hope you aren't running below 1/8 tank and your batteries are fully charge, or you're gonna be stuck. This number hasn't changed much at all in the last 5 years. 3.5 million people - and a total of 852 alternative fuel locations (some private)

Look at the same for California - PATHETIC!

NINE FREAKING BIODIESEL STATIONS? WHAT A CROCK!! We have people making their own here in Iowa. Once in a while you can smell a VW go by and I love the exhaust smell.....
E85 - HAHAHA - I laugh at California, so green, so dumb on fuel - 184 E85 locations?
Wow, the state of Iowa requires their government vehicles to be fueled with E85 - what's up, CA?? Walk the walk, eh?
33,000 public charging stations out of how many MILLIONS of people and cars?
I can't believe that state - gripe about pollution, resources, etc. and how pathetic they are on biodiesel and E85 and even charging stations. (I suspect many of those are older)

A lot of Alaska hotels have outlets at almost every parking spot in their lots - oh, wait, that's for ENGINE HEATERS, not charging - sorry............but imagine the power needed if each one is 1500 watts and you have 20 cars keeping warm out there.

Jeep Gladiator 4XE hybrid for the Gladiator ? ? ? alternbative-fuel

Jeep Gladiator 4XE hybrid for the Gladiator ? ? ? alternbative-fuel-ca
Sponsored

XJADDICTION

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT SS Max Tow, 2005 WK Hemi, 2013 Mustang GT
Occupation
Surgical CSFA
Ok Shadows Papa, hang onto that old way of thinking of yours. Comparing Alaska to California (or current offerings in Iowa) for charging stations is ludicrous.

Have you ever heard of supply and demand?

Laughing at plug ins in Alaska... “oh wait that’s for engine heaters.” ahh yes we get it it’s cold in Alaska and currently they need power for engine heaters. How much grid electricity in Alaska do those plugins for engine heaters use?

A little research will teach you more than enough about EVs, the electrical grid and investments being made.

Obviously you haven’t read my whole post, it is long, but dates for EV conversion by manufacturers and grid support are listed.

One I mentioned;

Ford by 2030 will have all EV vehicles in Europe (that is 9 years away)

Oh yes, you think Europe is the only place they talk about converting to all EVs.

Then what about this?

American Ford fleet vehicles EV or Plug In Hybrid by 2026 🤔 that’s less than 5 years away.

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
American Ford fleet vehicles EV or Plug In Hybrid by 2026 🤔 that’s less than 5 years away.
That is actually smart & should have been the first place they started the push for EV. Then when they have it all figured out with the supposed new battery tech & a standardized charging system network, you could have consumers actually wanting EV's instead of having to bribe them with taxpayer money. I saw an article earlier this week where 20% of EV/hybrid purchasers went back to ICE for their next vehicle so they clearly aren't for everyone (yet).

XJADDICTION

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Surgical CSFA
That is actually smart & should have been the first place they started the push for EV. Then when they have it all figured out with the supposed new battery tech & a standardized charging system network, you could have consumers actually wanting EV's instead of having to bribe them with taxpayer money. I saw an article earlier this week where 20% of EV/hybrid purchasers went back to ICE for their next vehicle so they clearly aren't for everyone (yet).
Agreed, after ceasing my 800-1000 mile med device territory weekly avg. , fuel prices dropped I went back to driving my oil burner DD.

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Kia Cadenza, 2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S
@ShadowsPapa I've tried to speak about this as well but it doesn't seem to get through. It's just not going to happen that fast. There are too many other moving parts that will take a long time to figure out or there will be huge consequences. I've spoken on lack of good power generation and a grid that just can't handle everything but get disregarded lol. I'm not saying this won't happen, especially with the current wind direction in DC, but it's not going to be within the next decade for sure.

We also get global markets into play here. You think if the Na batteries do actually get promised 1K+ mi range that big oil won't be raging and get things changed, you're wrong. You aren't going to get one of the largest market superpowers to die a quiet death. I'm all for EVs but not because they are going to save the Earth. We're just trading our toxicity from 1 place (oil) to another, there's no magic here. This all just feels like a pipe dream the way it's being discussed, and it's not going to be just around the corner. Just upgrading the grid will take over a decade to get infrastructure where it needs to be. Maybe 20-30yrs? Can we skip this BS and just give me a flying car instead? Jetsons style please :D

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Hey, I'm fine with eventual electric - when it's down to a competitive price point, when you can go more than a short distance (everything is at least 30 minutes from us.......), when you can drive a day, or perhaps half a day and take only minutes to charge. We've talked about electric but it just isn't there.
Fleet is one thing, that's a great starting point. And Amazon - good for them, putting their billions to good use and all of their one delivery in a given mile driving is a joke with conventional fuel. I'd hate to see their current gasoline bill when they drive out to us to deliver a $10 item, then drive back 2 miles to the next delivery. What a joke in a conventional car. That's made for hybrids or electric. Amazon needs to go electric, or at least scrap the conventional vehicle types.

I say more like 10-15 years. (at best)
I'm a realist. Ford is trying to look green and tell the world how great and climate conscience they are. Will it really happen that way? All one has to do is look back as some of the old TV shows I've saved - Nova and others, from 10 years ago where they interview people from Ford, Mercedes and others talking about their plans and guess what......... still waiting folks.
Yeah, I AM interested in that sort of thing and in a way look forward to some of it - when it's ready. But the hype always precedes the reality and predictions almost never come true.
Ford can push their marketing talk all they want, how about everyone bookmark this thread and in 10 years, see where we are. If it truly happens, I'll be 100% willing to buy beers for the group. Because I know something has to happen - but...... I also have read and watched and kept track and so far, I don't see predictions that have come through, not even very close.

XJADDICTION

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Surgical CSFA
From Shadows Papa “You think if the Na batteries do actually get promised 1K+ mi range that big oil won't be raging and get things changed, you're wrong.”

I stated above the top oil companies have invested billions in renewable Energy. They are not trying to kill renewable energy, they are looking for the next play for them. There is an end to the means of oil extraction. Increased costs, environmental regulations and limited supply.

Here they are again for you

“Of the six “super-majors” – BP, Shell, Chevron, Total, Eni and Exxon – many of them have pumped billions into clean energy projects”

Take a quick look at renewable energy stocks.

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Kia Cadenza, 2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S
From Shadows Papa “You think if the Na batteries do actually get promised 1K+ mi range that big oil won't be raging and get things changed, you're wrong.”

I stated above the top oil companies have invested billions in renewable Energy. They are not trying to kill renewable energy, they are looking for the next play for them. There is an end to the means of oil extraction. Increased costs, environmental regulations and limited supply.

Here they are again for you

“Of the six “super-majors” – BP, Shell, Chevron, Total, Eni and Exxon – many of them have pumped billions into clean energy projects”

Take a quick look at renewable energy stocks.
That was actually me, not SP.

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
Hey, I'm fine with eventual electric - when it's down to a competitive price point, when you can go more than a short distance (everything is at least 30 minutes from us.......), when you can drive a day, or perhaps half a day and take only minutes to charge. We've talked about electric but it just isn't there.
Fleet is one thing, that's a great starting point. And Amazon - good for them, putting their billions to good use and all of their one delivery in a given mile driving is a joke with conventional fuel. I'd hate to see their current gasoline bill when they drive out to us to deliver a $10 item, then drive back 2 miles to the next delivery. What a joke in a conventional car. That's made for hybrids or electric. Amazon needs to go electric, or at least scrap the conventional vehicle types.

I'm a realist. Ford is trying to look green and tell the world how great and climate conscience they are. Will it really happen that way? All one has to do is look back as some of the old TV shows I've saved - Nova and others, from 10 years ago where they interview people from Ford, Mercedes and others talking about their plans and guess what......... still waiting folks.
Yeah, I AM interested in that sort of thing and in a way look forward to some of it - when it's ready. But the hype always precedes the reality and predictions almost never come true.
Ford can push their marketing talk all they want, how about everyone bookmark this thread and in 10 years, see where we are. If it truly happens, I'll be 100% willing to buy beers for the group. Because I know something has to happen - but...... I also have read and watched and kept track and so far, I don't see predictions that have come through, not even very close.
Yup.

They're a long way off from meaningful electrification of trucks in a price point that regular folks can afford. They're not even there with cars. The much ballyhooed $35k model 3 still doesn't exist. Affordable, useable trucks will be very far behind.

Trucks are experiencing the same intital wtf is this s*** that cars did 10-15 years ago.

It will be 10-15 years until they are where current cars are, which is still not sustainable on battery alone at a price point for all.

Long live the dino.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation

Yep Ford just announced an $18 billion dollar project to build a battery manufacturing facility about 70 miles from me. They claim it's going to produce 5,000 jobs, and give Kentuckians the second highest starting wage in the state among manufacturing jobs.

The first thing that came to mind when I saw the press conference Tuesday was, "I guess that'll keep our state environmental agency busy." Battery manufacturing is horrible for the environment, and the technology has a L O N G way to go before it can be mainstream and compete with gas and diesel vehicles.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Yep Ford just announced an $18 billion dollar project to build a battery manufacturing facility about 70 miles from me. They claim it's going to produce 5,000 jobs, and give Kentuckians the second highest starting wage in the state among manufacturing jobs.

The first thing that came to mind when I saw the press conference Tuesday was, "I guess that'll keep our state environmental agency busy." Battery manufacturing is horrible for the environment, and the technology has a L O N G way to go before it can be mainstream and compete with gas and diesel vehicles.
Why do people think a lot of recycling goes to other countries, and the materials for batteries comes from those countries?
I am not at all against the eventuality of it all - not a bit - but we simply aren't there and we're just shifting the dirt around at this point. And the energy required to make batteries compared to fossil fuels......

Trippin01

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX450h, 23' Supra
Occupation
Deputy Sheriff & Retired Army
Vehicle Showcase
Seriously? Have you lost your minds? Just my thoughts, and opinion follow, which is sort of inline with ShadowsPapa. If you are using your JT as a DD this might be the way for you to go. But the added weight, and a massive battery pack in the bottom of the passenger compartment is a very unappealing safety concern when it comes to off roading and fording depth. The JT was designed as an Off-road truck & should stay that way in my opinion. The thought of keeping it stock and "Settling" for it as a comfy DD makes me cringe to know end. As of today Crude hit $80 a barrel, and gasoline is $4 a gallon in Idaho and $6.50 in parts of CA. so why on earth would you consider this as a DD, hybrid or not, especially if you commute more than 30-40 miles round trip. Do the math, a little commuter car would save tons of $'s on wear and tear of your JT, especially if it was built for Off-roading. while the 20 mile range is slightly appealing to me, as I could drive to and from my place of business with no fuel, by the time I changed the gearing to accommodate off roading capabilities (Bigger tires) and a lift, the electric only range would be a few blocks, and then I would be frying battery packs, and at what price to replace them? $5k- $10k? get an economy car for $10k to drive around town if you like high MPG's.
The Rivian Truck is your ticket if you want a battery powered truck. 400 mile range with a 800- 1000 HP, 1 touch suspension adjustment. The 4Xe Is not enough or there yet. Definitely headed in the right direction As of today there only one plant in Germany can recycle Electric batteries, and our fragile aging grid will not accommodate everyone having an electric car and charging it after work every evening. And for heavens sake, FCA doesn't even have the Diesel dialed in yet.

Here is where my JT was parked last weekend, where was your JT parked? My point? don't try and make it a "around town car", just buy an around town car. I don't want to see FCA Morph the JT into some kind of Whimpey CA compliant POS.

Jeep Gladiator 4XE hybrid for the Gladiator ? ? ? IMG_6800

Last edited:

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Stop speculating already! Go drive a 4xe. Most reasonable people will see it is a viable alternative power plant. It is a true hybrid, so you always have 375 hp and 470 ftlbs of torque. How much money it saves, ehh who knows, it is in the ball park of what I spend to drive other cars. With a level 2 charger, it takes 2 hours to top it off from dead. The jeep has a charge scheduler, so we do at least one charge from 1-3 am when it is cheap.

Not sure what all the teeth mashing is about, ots not like someone is gonna come steal your liquid power cars, they just might beat you off the line and to the next light, is all.

0530211759.jpg

Fcmalie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2021 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Seriously? Have you lost your minds? Just my thoughts, and opinion follow, which is sort of inline with ShadowsPapa. If you are using your JT as a DD this might be the way for you to go. But the added weight, and a massive battery pack in the bottom of the passenger compartment is a very unappealing safety concern when it comes to off roading and fording depth. The JT was designed as an Off-road truck & should stay that way in my opinion. The thought of keeping it stock and "Settling" for it as a comfy DD makes me cringe to know end. As of today Crude hit $80 a barrel, and gasoline is $4 a gallon in Idaho and $6.50 in parts of CA. so why on earth would you consider this as a DD, hybrid or not, especially if you commute more than 30-40 miles round trip. Do the math, a little commuter car would save tons of $'s on wear and tear of your JT, especially if it was built for Off-roading. while the 20 mile range is slightly appealing to me, as I could drive to and from my place of business with no fuel, by the time I changed the gearing to accommodate off roading capabilities (Bigger tires) and a lift, the electric only range would be a few blocks, and then I would be frying battery packs, and at what price to replace them? $5k- $10k? get an economy car for $10k to drive around town if you like high MPG's.
The Rivian Truck is your ticket if you want a battery powered truck. 400 mile range with a 800- 1000 HP, 1 touch suspension adjustment. The 4Xe Is not enough or there yet. Definitely headed in the right direction As of today there only one plant in Germany can recycle Electric batteries, and our fragile aging grid will not accommodate everyone having an electric car and charging it after work every evening. And for heavens sake, FCA doesn't even have the Diesel dialed in yet.

Here is where my JT was parked last weekend, where was your JT parked? My point? don't try and make it a "around town car", just buy an around town car. I don't want to see FCA Morph the JT into some kind of Whimpey CA compliant POS.

Jeep Gladiator 4XE hybrid for the Gladiator ? ? ? 0530211759
You mean gas in my part of CA is cheaper than gas in Idaho? I paid 3.74 a gallon last week and it's continued to drop. The Rivian is already proving offroad EVs are viable, and that fording depth isn't an issue with it.
Sponsored