Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
IT Manager
Hi,

I've seen comments about regearing from 3.73 to 4.10 -- I recently changed my tires on my Sport S to 285/70/17. The main purpose of my vehicle is an overland/camping vehicle along with my every day driver in the city, which is minimal as I work @ home.

Should I re-gear? Why or why not? I am a total noob when it comes to this 'stuff' so forgive my ignorance.
Sponsored

dakota.morgan91

First Name
Dakota
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(ordered) 2021 Gladiator Willys
I can't think of a reason you would not want to aside from the cost of doing it, I mean 4.10's are not anything dramatic... I plan to re-gear myself but will most likely go 4.88 with 35's. One of the positives is having your jeep feel peppier or torquey with those taller tires.

JT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Willys
Hi,

I've seen comments about regearing from 3.73 to 4.10 -- I recently changed my tires on my Sport S to 285/70/17. The main purpose of my vehicle is an overland/camping vehicle along with my every day driver in the city, which is minimal as I work @ home.

Should I re-gear? Why or why not? I am a total noob when it comes to this 'stuff' so forgive my ignorance.
That tiny gear change is not worth the $1500-2000 it will cost. That tire size won't strain anything.

IF you plan on going to 35's at some point, try it first and see if it's too sluggish. If it is, regear to 4.56.

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Only Fans Content Creator
Yeah...id agree 4.1 isnt worth it. if youre trying to keep it mild, 35’s and 4.56. If you know youll never go any bigger than that 285 tire, 4.33...

$.02

Tufelhundin

First Name
Windsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S “sold”, 2022 JTR
Occupation
Gov
I’m running 35’s... we’ll close enough 315/70-17’s and I’m having 4.56 added this coming Monday. Can’t wait to see/feel the difference.

Sponsored

Rummie

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.siestakeyrum.com
Vehicle(s)
20 JT, 15 JKU, 22 BMW 4, Challenger R/T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Rum
Vehicle Showcase
How do you like the pep with the new tires and stock gears? If it has enough pickup for you I would just leave it alone. Those tires shouldn't stress anything too much.

I am not against regearing, btw. I have 5.13s going in next week. But that is on 37s, steelies, bed rack, etc.

Tuggernuts

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Occupation
Truck driver
I’m running 35’s... we’ll close enough 315/70-17’s and I’m having 4.56 added this coming Monday. Can’t wait to see/feel the difference.
Do you have 3.73 or 4.10 now?

Moe_Fugga

Banned
Banned
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
As said before, if you feel like you’ve lost that “get up and go” then new gears could be in order. I went from factory 31s to aftermarket 35s with 3.73 gears and feel the difference mainly at highway speeds. Lots of downshifting to stay at speed. I would like to go to 4.56 eventually to get the highway speed RPMs back into that sweet spot to cut back on all the shifting. I don’t think 3.73 to 4.10 is a big enough jump to spend the couple grand on new gears and install. That’s just my non-expert opinion.

AZJT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
I have a 2020 Overland (3.73 gears) - kept the OEM 18" wheel, put on 285/75/18s (~35") and have had no qualms. Is just a hair of the 'pep' gone from complete standstills? Sure, but not enough for me to complain or consider re-gearing. I'm still hitting mid-18s (or higher) for MPG on my daily commute, and have taken it off-road enough times to know that it's doing just fine.

Tufelhundin

First Name
Windsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Gov
I
Do you have 3.73 or 4.10 now?

I have 3.73’s.

my big thing was I completely lost 8th gear & 6th seems to be the norm at 65mph. I'll see 7th as long as there is zero wind or a tailwind.

Hoping that when I tow my tandem 16' trailer I will see 6th more than Im currently seeing 5th.

I have never seen the mileage that everyone seems to get on this forum. Empty, towing, stock, larger tires, it doesn't matter..I dont see it. So, Im not sure if Ill see an increase there anyway, but if I do it will be appreciated.

As far as pep, it will get up and move pretty good if I spool it up.

Reverse sure sux though, lol.

Sponsored

Tuggernuts

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Occupation
Truck driver
I

I have 3.73’s.

my big thing was I completely lost 8th gear & 6th seems to be the norm at 65mph. I'll see 7th as long as there is zero wind or a tailwind.

Hoping that when I tow my tandem 16' trailer I will see 6th more than Im currently seeing 5th.

I have never seen the mileage that everyone seems to get on this forum. Empty, towing, stock, larger tires, it doesn't matter..I dont see it. So, Im not sure if Ill see an increase there anyway, but if I do it will be appreciated.

As far as pep, it will get up and move pretty good if I spool it up.

Reverse sure sux though, lol.
Please report back with your thoughts on the 4.56 setup. I don’t plan on ever going over a 35” tire so I’d like to keep as little strain on the motor as possible as far as rpm’s go. I have 4.10 gears now.

PDiddy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Architectural Illustrator
I went from 4:10s to 4:88 on 35s. There was not much off a difference going from the stock 33s to 35s, since I kept the stock wheels and tire weight was only a few lbs different.

But I tow a travel trailer and wanted improve my torque or the stock setup. So I regeared it to 4:88. Super fun daily driving it and off roaring. I haven’t towed with the new set up yet.

Tufelhundin

First Name
Windsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Gov
@OMTBiker gave a great review last week or so concerning his JT and 4.56. It's what made me decide to do the same.

Yes, I have the 8sp automatic.

For a little more back story.

Totally stock my Rubicon I saw 17.6MPG once with the normal being 16.8-17.

I had the Mopar lift installed at the dealership at 4400 miles and they were supposed to reprogram the computer for the 35s and said they did reprogram. After the lift and “35s”, technically 315/70R17 BFG KO2, I was lucky to see 16 and the normal was 14-15.6. I would rarely see 8th above 65 and it would immediately drop to 7th or even 6th on slight inclines or overpasses. It would never hold 8th.

Towing a flatbed trailer it would drop to 10mpg, and with our 16’ TT I saw 10MPG once with the typical mileage of 6.6-8 MPG at 60 MPH and needed to stop every 130-150 miles for gas. It was terrible and would have to drop to 4th and 5th if there was a slight headwind, I t would stay in 3rd and 4th climbing the mountains out west and I am not talking the really steep inclines.

My overall average across 16000 miles, 6000 towing miles is 13.9 MPG.

A week ago I installed the AEV Procal Snap in preparation for the regear and checked my tire size, the computer showed 32.7 which would have been the stock tire size so I am pretty sure the dealership did not reprogram the computer for tire size which really ticks me off. I measured my tires which came out at 33.7 actual height, after driving and verifying the speedometer I had to drop down to 33.5 to get within 1 MPH. The speedometer is about 3/4 MPH higher than GPS which was good enough for me,

After the reprogram for the correct tire size the Gladiator would hold 8th better but would still drop a gear with slight gas pedal pressure and on overpasses. It was better and I had a slight improvement in gas mileage.

After the gear change it was immediately noticeable with the available power throughout the gears, it will hold 8th and maintain 70 in 8th easily. It has much more passing power. On the way back from North Carolina to Ohio I averaged 17.7 climbing All of the hills up I77 and would only drop to 7th and very occasionally to 6th on the larger climbs, it has much more power and never felt like it was struggling on the hills like before. I am on my second tank and just over 18MPG.

Cruising at 60-62 and on flat I am seeing 20-24 MPG depending on the terrain variation. Between 70-72 I am seeing 18-20MPG.

The regear definitely helps in getting the powerband down where it is much more noticeable and usable, I did not go with 4.88 as I only have one big towing trip each year and did not feel it was worth it as it is mostly a daily driver. I am extremely please with my choice. I am sure this is going to help with towing but the trailer is in storage until April.

One big recommendation I have is if you are going to regear, stick with Dana Spicer gears and master install kit if your needs are similar to mine. I daily drive, tow and occasional off-road use. The Dana Gears and master kit was so close to factory gears for shims needed.

If anyone is on the Wrangler forum they should reach out to @chevymitchell, he was awesome to work with!

If anyone has any questions or would like to talk about the regear, send me a PM.

Hope this helps!

jdwhichard

First Name
david
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
nurse
Vehicle Showcase
you dont want to go to 4.10 from 3.73 just not enough difference in the swap if you do a gear change do at least 4.56 on the 285s you will pick up extra power over the stock 245s