Sponsored

Happiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner...
She also states that those temperatures cannot be reached under normal circumstances and driving including offroading and towing. I mean the temps they are referencing are incredibly high and I would assume incredibly difficult to obtain. I know I have abused my fair share of vehicles in my youth and have never even heard of a clutch failure! Made one chatter from hot spots though! hahaha

A good question in my mind is how the computer is calculating the temp, which Happiator eluded to. I was preaching this since I saw this recall that there is no way that the truck has a clutch temp sensor and now that has been proven. Again being with how much slip would be necessary to reach those temps, I would have to assume they have that trigger's event set pretty high. Meaning it would need either a long duration of light slip to trigger or VERY heavy load/speed slip. Far above and beyond what we would put the truck through in any normal scenario.
The engineers must know the thermal rate of these materials since that has been studied heavily with the R&D of any friction material. With the knowledge at their fingertips, and the assumed dislike of lawsuits I am sure this will be reliably solved. After much pondering on the subject, I am going to continue with my order and stop worrying about this. Although I feel bad for those who lost their trucks and confidence in FCA, this could happen to any brand. We all need to chill a bit and just wait. I know I dont need more gray hairs! lmao
Has there ever been a recall for something that can occur only under abnormal driving conditions? I honestly don't know, but that just sounds odd. I mean, you could cause all kinds of issues by driving in all sorts of abnormal ways.... but are they going to recall for all those potential issues? A recall to me signals an issue under normal driving conditions, notwithstanding the message from JeepCares. Put another way, something is causing extreme heat even under conditions that most folks would consider to be normal clutch operation. Otherwise, I don't think there would be a recall... it would be more of a "lean how to f'king drive...."

Just my thoughts. I want one these things one day, and the " I Love my F'king Truck" post had me all fired up yesterday. I will wait, however, until they get this issue resolved. Why not just put an over engineered, old school tranny in the thing. Build it like a Jeep!
Sponsored

Onebigyoshi

First Name
Haruyoshi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Sting grey M/T. Prius...
Everyone please be vigilant when signing anything from a lawyer over the internet or phone/email. They may be legit lawyers and not a scam but some of the contracts out there are bait and switch. They promise things and then in the fine details you are left with hefty fees if you don't accept an offer they negotiate or win the case. Just make sure you read the documents.

I almost got stuck with a 1,500 fee regardless of outcome or if I decided not to accept a deal. This was with a lemon law firm who was legit and I talked with numerous people and researched the firm and everything. Caught 1 sentence in the middle of a 5 page contract, and called them out on it as they said repeatedly I would owe nothing regardless of outcome.
Yeah this is exactly what I'm worried about.

dakota.morgan91

First Name
Dakota
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(ordered) 2021 Gladiator Willys
Has there ever been a recall for something that can occur only under abnormal driving conditions? I honestly don't know, but that just sounds odd. I mean, you could cause all kinds of issues by driving in all sorts of abnormal ways.... but are they going to recall for all those potential issues? A recall to me signals an issue under normal driving conditions, notwithstanding the message from JeepCares. Put another way, something is causing extreme heat even under conditions that most folks would consider to be normal clutch operation. Otherwise, I don't think there would be a recall... it would be more of a "lean how to f'king drive...."

Just my thoughts. I want one these things one day, and the " I Love my F'king Truck" post had me all fired up yesterday. I will wait, however, until they get this issue resolved. Why not just put an over engineered, old school tranny in the thing. Build it like a Jeep!
Now I cant argue with that last statement! Hahaha I don't care if it shifts like a sports car, I just want it to be tough! To the first part, you bring up an excellent point. i guess it comes back to who knows? Its all speculation at this point. I am hoping for the best though!

jimbom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 6-Speed Rubicon Gator Gladiator, 2015 Infiniti Q60 6-Speed Sport Coupe (wife's, really), 2003 5-speed Honda Civic Coupe, 1960-something Jeep Gladiator (Matchbox)
Everyone please be vigilant when signing anything from a lawyer over the internet or phone/email. They may be legit lawyers and not a scam but some of the contracts out there are bait and switch. They promise things and then in the fine details you are left with hefty fees if you don't accept an offer they negotiate or win the case. Just make sure you read the documents.

I almost got stuck with a 1,500 fee regardless of outcome or if I decided not to accept a deal. This was with a lemon law firm who was legit and I talked with numerous people and researched the firm and everything. Caught 1 sentence in the middle of a 5 page contract, and called them out on it as they said repeatedly I would owe nothing regardless of outcome.
There's only one group that wins in a class action suit. Those wearing suits.

jimbom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 6-Speed Rubicon Gator Gladiator, 2015 Infiniti Q60 6-Speed Sport Coupe (wife's, really), 2003 5-speed Honda Civic Coupe, 1960-something Jeep Gladiator (Matchbox)

I think what differentiates this failure under only abnormal driving conditions is that it is an abnormal failure. Most fried clutches just stop clutching. This one can explode and cause a catastrophic fire. Instead of addressing the failure mode, now they are just trying to make the clutch "idiot-proof." Not the best approach in my mind.

Many of us probably feel that we don't abuse our clutches and aren't too worried that ours will explode. I'm pretty confident that if mine starts slipping on its own, I'll recognize and remedy that before explosion. For that reason I waited almost a year to address the first recall without worry. And sure enough, it passed the slip test.

I sure hope this software fix doesn't affect normal driving, but that said, I don't plan on having this recall done to my truck. That may mean that I forgo a couple free oil changes and hope I have no other need to take my truck to the dealership in the future for repairs (since they will likely then insist on doing the recall.) So glad I already just got my steering box replaced.

Sponsored

AleYeah

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU Sport, 1976 VW poptop
The bitter irony here is that most people who bought a manual transmission in their JL or JT did so specifically because they wanted to avoid overly sophisticated electronic controls. For their trouble they ended up with a Jeep that will be programmed to kill power via electronic nannies to protect itself. Ahhh....the irony.

It's enough to make a guy cry. Price goes up, quality and engineering goes down.
I think you hit the nail on the head. My tires are worn out on my JK, the oil needs changing, it's filthy... all the signs of "this fella's ready to trade". I'd finally made the decision that a JT was gonna be my next vehicle, and it still may be... but I just set up an appointment with a local shop for new tires (and a 2.5 inch lift) for the Wrangler in early March.

I'll still be watching the forums here with great interest, but I'm officially "out" on the Gladiator for the short term. I'm approaching 99k miles on the original clutch on my JK, which hopefully will continue to be trouble free in the meantime.

Happiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner...
I think what differentiates this failure under only abnormal driving conditions is that it is an abnormal failure. Most fried clutches just stop clutching. This one can explode and cause a catastrophic fire. Instead of addressing the failure mode, now they are just trying to make the clutch "idiot-proof." Not the best approach in my mind.

Many of us probably feel that we don't abuse our clutches and aren't too worried that ours will explode. I'm pretty confident that if mine starts slipping on its own, I'll recognize and remedy that before explosion. For that reason I waited almost a year to address the first recall without worry. And sure enough, it passed the slip test.

I sure hope this software fix doesn't affect normal driving, but that said, I don't plan on having this recall done to my truck. That may mean that I forgo a couple free oil changes and hope I have no other need to take my truck to the dealership in the future for repairs (since they will likely then insist on doing the recall.) So glad I already just got my steering box replaced.
I’ll buy that.

Rex3rd

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Pontiac GTO
My fear is they will discontinue the 6 speed because of all this headache. Let's hope they pull something out of there a$$ and fix this junk before it scares everyone from wanting a 6 speed. I'm weary of it but still not scared, hell if the truck grenades and I go up in flames just know I died a happy man because I finally bought the truck. Someone just please make a custom tailgate sticker for me when I die ;)

SelfmodJT

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jeep JT Willys, 2005 350z con
My fear is they will discontinue the 6 speed because of all this headache. Let's hope they pull something out of there a$$ and fix this junk before it scares everyone from wanting a 6 speed. I'm weary of it but still not scared, hell if the truck grenades and I go up in flames just know I died a happy man because I finally bought the truck. Someone just please make a custom tailgate sticker for me when I die ;)
Like how they discontinued the jeep commercial already🤣🤣🤣
B springstien dwi smh

dakota.morgan91

First Name
Dakota
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Like how they discontinued the jeep commercial already🤣🤣🤣
B springstien dwi smh
Be careful. There was thread earlier on this topic and the guy got banned after bringing up the fact his thread got removed. There is probably more to the story, but it seems like a touchy subject...

Sponsored

dakota.morgan91

First Name
Dakota
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well the upside for us, is the "rare manual gladiator" might help the resale value in the future!

SelfmodJT

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jeep JT Willys, 2005 350z con
Be careful. There was thread earlier on this topic and the guy got banned after bringing up the fact his thread got removed. There is probably more to the story, but it seems like a touchy subject...
I mentioned no politics, lol. Only stating FACTS.

jimbom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well the upside for us, is the "rare manual gladiator" might help the resale value in the future!
But after you rake it in selling your MT Jeep, what do buy then?

MoparDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR manual /2023 ZLE manual /2018 Demon #1399
I guess Bruce violated Jeeps ethics clause....

"So Sad."
Sponsored