Emergency POV Lighting

MHulsey91

First Name
Mathew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
I've looked and can not find a post anywhere. I am on a volunteer fire department. We are allowed to run Blue lights on our personally owned vehicles (POV) while responding to the station for emergencies or to the scene of the accident in some situations. Does anyone have a emergency light setup on their JT? I have seen a few but without much detail as to what lights they are running etc. Thanks.
Sponsored

whatevah

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.whatevah.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Mojave
Occupation
EMT
I have a pretty well lit Mojave, but I don't have a current video up at the moment. Here's a quick clip of its initial setup.

Running Soundoff Mpower "quick mount" (adhesive backing, so only have to drill a hole for the wiring) on the sides and under the tailgate. Windshield is all Fed Sig XStream dash lights (4 up top, one at the base). Front bumper is Feniex Fusion surface mounts that I reused from my last Jeep. Back window was a temporary arrange of 2 Feniex Fusion 200 sticks while I was waiting for my rack to arrive. It's now got 2 additional Mpowers on each side of the rack and a Feniex Fusion 800 stick on the back.

The 4 lights across the top of the windshield were a pain in the rear... pulling all of the trim and running the cables, I had to merge the harnesses behind the windshield trim as it couldn't support the weight of the 4 cables running across the trim. Would not recommend going that route... lol Maybe 1 light per side, but not 2!

Terry

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Private Investigator
Vehicle Showcase
I would seek out a qualified emergency vevicle equipment company, one that does public safety vehicles to do the work.

GA D90

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'97 LR Defender , '21 JTR
Occupation
Paramedic
I've looked and can not find a post anywhere. I am on a volunteer fire department. We are allowed to run Blue lights on our personally owned vehicles (POV) while responding to the station for emergencies or to the scene of the accident in some situations. Does anyone have a emergency light setup on their JT? I have seen a few but without much detail as to what lights they are running etc. Thanks.
I use my POV, for call response. Iā€™m a Paramedic in NH.
Iā€™ve been using these guyā€˜s for a very long time. Canā€™t beat the price and quality, and customer support. Itā€™s a smallish company so you get great support if you need it. used a 6 led bar mounted behind the grill, and a mini 4 led windshield bar. Also have a couple single 4ā€™s off the last truck,Iā€™ll mount in the rear at some point. Oh, mounted an old siren amp behind the rear seat, had to get a new smaller speaker and mounted it behind the front bumper. Best thing there hooked up to the aux switches, which is sooo easy!

Hereā€™s the link :
https://www.strobesnmore.com/

Iā€˜ll take some pics tomorrow, so you can get a look.

Oil_Burner

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, Explorer, Prius, C6, Diesel Pusher MH
Occupation
Engineer
Each state has a different requirement for emergency lighting on POVs. I'm not sure what Indiana requires as far as coverage to the front only, or must be 360, etc.

As you know, something like 70% of the country is covered by volunteer departments. You are not the first person from Indiana with a JT or JL that is doing this. Asking on this forum is a great place to get help. People from big cities may not understand that this is a DIY project for almost every firefighter who wants to equip their vehicle for emergency response. If it's not a DIY project, they are getting help from another volunteer firefighter.

Not JT specific, I've seen people put something like this on their front grill area: Red LED strobe

Sponsored

Moabite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Just an FYI...your insurance rates may go up if your provider finds out you are using emergency response lighting on your personal vehicle. I used to run overheads on mine about 25-30 years ago. And your county could be liable for any accidents if they allow lights on a POV, especially if you have not been specifically trained in emergency vehicle operations. In my county, none of the agencies (EMS, fire, SAR, etc.) are allowed to run any type of emergency lighting on POVs anymore. We cannot even turn on the OEM emergency flashers when responding.

GA D90

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'97 LR Defender , '21 JTR
Occupation
Paramedic
Just an FYI...your insurance rates may go up if your provider finds out you are using emergency response lighting on your personal vehicle. I used to run overheads on mine about 25-30 years ago. And your county could be liable for any accidents if they allow lights on a POV, especially if you have not been specifically trained in emergency vehicle operations. In my county, none of the agencies (EMS, fire, SAR, etc.) are allowed to run any type of emergency lighting on POVs anymore. We cannot even turn on the OEM emergency flashers when responding.
Yes, of course it goes without saying that you need to have proper authorization to run emergency equipment. In our state itā€™s town by town, with reciprocity in neighboring towns. We are fully covered with the municipal insurance while responding to a call.
Anyway, assuming the OP is authorized, hereā€™s what I did...
Jeep Gladiator Emergency POV Lighting 7AA686BF-1F9E-42F7-B8B4-5A1371E60D6D

OP
OP
MHulsey91

MHulsey91

First Name
Mathew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Thanks everyone. This is not my first POV setup. This was my JKU that I traded in for my JT. I had changed my mind to not worry about lights at all on this but that changed after having a Accident right down the road from my house. So the search is back on. I would re-use my Feniex Cobra 800 however It did have some pretty decent flashback and I don't want to go through having to make a shroud again. If I remember correctly Indiana does require 360 lighting but I have not had that issue in the past. I really liked my Feniex lights but I have been looking into the Mpower lights because they looked slimmer than the Fusions or Quads. As far as insurance I have not had an issue there either. My fire Departments policy actually covers POVs if they are enroute to station or on scene (not sure how but that's what they told us). I am mainly worried about the rear as Most of the accidents that I go straight to scene are on a highway. I think some Mpowers would be a great start for me with them being small in size and having good light output.

acyuncw

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S
Finished mine up today. I didn't want too much so I went with 4 flush mount LED's in the grill. I pulled the grill off and wired it up on a table. Lesson learned from a prior install - I hooked it up to a 24v leaf blower battery to test the wiring BEFORE i got it all mounted up...

The siren was a little tougher. I removed the plastic air dam and mounted it to the metal cross brace behind the bumper. I put the air dam back because it actually protects the speaker pretty well. Ran the wires through the firewall into the driver's foot well and to the amplifier under the rear seat.

AUX switches made it a lot easier.

8BF56BA2-691D-4C10-8293-129D301A9502.jpeg

C834DACC-ED31-45F3-9D15-E29203DD9158.jpeg

F8268A84-DD01-4447-80AC-1BE764F6F121.jpeg

7D25CA10-7B15-41C5-A913-6DF4E21305D7.jpeg

2027DEDE-B0EB-4AFD-8D75-FC683F1CA97A.jpeg

74AB39A2-0FB3-4601-A766-320DB927D5BA.jpeg

4BCE32F6-EEC7-452C-BE85-3AD36CF57853.jpeg

WMWHV

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel, 1947 Willys CJ2A
Build Thread
Link
I thought I would bump this post with some information I just came across. Sound Off Signal makes a fitted, inside the windshield light bar for the JL/JT with or without the Adaptive Cruise Control. They make it as a part of their "off road" line with white and amber solid lights (https://mpowerlights.com/product/interior-led-lightbars/), but the same part number is available on the soundoff website as an emergency lightbar: https://soundoffsignal.com/product/nforce-interior-led-lightbar/. It looks suspiciously like the interior lightbar a certain offroad company is selling with their in house label for a similar price. I sent Soundoff a note and they confirmed that the bar can be ordered with any combination of lights, colors, etc. The thing is very pricy, but if you are OCD and want something that fits and limits light leakage, this could be the way to go. I will not be buying one any time soon due to the price, but I like the idea of a light bar that could have white for offroad and scene lighting and also have red warning lights in a very subtle package. What I am looking for next is a rear lightbar that will mount across the top of the rear glass on the hard top. I have seen a couple of possibilities, but none that I like. Most are too deep for that application. I might go with something like the mpower fascia light that is very shallow in depth, then mount them to an aluminum channel to run the wires to the side. I have to play with it still, but there might be enough room to tuck the wires behind the glass as it works its way down the side of the top. Drilling holes in the top is not high on my list, but that is also an option.

Sponsored

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
Just curious what the laws are when responding in a pov, do you have to observe traffic laws such as speed limits and stop signs?

WMWHV

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel, 1947 Willys CJ2A
Build Thread
Link
Just curious what the laws are when responding in a pov, do you have to observe traffic laws such as speed limits and stop signs?
That is a question impossible to answer on a forum like this, and I should start out by saying this is not legal advice. Laws and requirements vary greatly by jurisdiction and status of the responder. If you have a question about what is legal where you are, you should consult a qualified attorney.

Trickster

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT HA, 22 Volvo V60 CC, 76 Fiat 124,
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
Never knew this was a thing. Never seen it here where I live. Makes so much sense, as you are responding to an emergency and should be given the ability quicken your response times.
A big thank you for your service, it takes a very special person to be willing to help in events that have others in harms way.
Much respect.šŸ‘šŸ½

Trickster

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT HA, 22 Volvo V60 CC, 76 Fiat 124,
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
That is a question impossible to answer on a forum like this, and I should start out by saying this is not legal advice. Laws and requirements vary greatly by jurisdiction and status of the responder. If you have a question about what is legal where you are, you should consult a qualified attorney.
Consult an attorney?
$$$$
How about a free question to the boss of emergency services.
Pretty sure you will get local bylaws from them.
Just saying.

OP
OP
MHulsey91

MHulsey91

First Name
Mathew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I thought I would bump this post with some information I just came across. Sound Off Signal makes a fitted, inside the windshield light bar for the JL/JT with or without the Adaptive Cruise Control. They make it as a part of their "off road" line with white and amber solid lights (https://mpowerlights.com/product/interior-led-lightbars/), but the same part number is available on the soundoff website as an emergency lightbar: https://soundoffsignal.com/product/nforce-interior-led-lightbar/. It looks suspiciously like the interior lightbar a certain offroad company is selling with their in house label for a similar price. I sent Soundoff a note and they confirmed that the bar can be ordered with any combination of lights, colors, etc. The thing is very pricy, but if you are OCD and want something that fits and limits light leakage, this could be the way to go. I will not be buying one any time soon due to the price, but I like the idea of a light bar that could have white for offroad and scene lighting and also have red warning lights in a very subtle package. What I am looking for next is a rear lightbar that will mount across the top of the rear glass on the hard top. I have seen a couple of possibilities, but none that I like. Most are too deep for that application. I might go with something like the mpower fascia light that is very shallow in depth, then mount them to an aluminum channel to run the wires to the side. I have to play with it still, but there might be enough room to tuck the wires behind the glass as it works its way down the side of the top. Drilling holes in the top is not high on my list, but that is also an option.
I'll have to check them out sometime. I recently just moved and no longer have to cross the highway that I was frequently responding to car accidents on and I'm closer to the station. As of now I don't think im.going to put lights on it. Just don't feel the need for them anymore.
As stated. It does Vary state to state. And fire department to fire department. In Kentucky I believe they can run Red lights with Siren and respond to station like they would responding in the truck from the station. In Indiana we run Blue courtesy lights as they call them. Which means we are signaling to other drivers that we are responding to an emergency, however they don't have to get out of our way unless they want to/ feel it's safe to do so. Now with all this you get into Due Reguard in the way you respond. Even in a fire truck with lights and sirens going if it's a red light you have to stop to make sure everyone sees you and stops before you proceed through. There's certain training that we go through for all this.
Consult an attorney?
$$$$
How about a free question to the boss of emergency services.
Pretty sure you will get local bylaws from them.
Just saying.
Most of the time the AHJ (authority having jurisdiction) knows the state laws already and tells all of their new members when they get on. For my department in particular you can't even run lights on your vehicle until after your first 6 months. Even then our chiefs have revoked peoples permission to do so because they were driving recklessly. So if you were curious about what your local area does then your local volunteer fire department should have your answer.
Sponsored