Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Artist
The three are
one: that silly 'A' auto shutoff capability to save on gas, annoying and unnecessary, I think.
two: No dead pedal or decent rest area for left foot
three: The rubber molding around windows, the joint or seam is dead center on the window causing a dirty streak when it rains
see photo
Jeep Gladiator Only three pet peeves about my Gladiator Sport F01F8B62-51A0-4EFF-B74C-A2D487536654
Sponsored

jsalbre

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Sarge Mojave, ‘21 VW Tiguan SEL-P RLine
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Security Engineer, First Sergeant
Having owned a number of different vehicles with stop-start and rented even more I really cant understand the hate for it. I’ve never had it be an inconvenience or safety issue.

Whats the problem? Is it fear of change, “the eco people can’t tell me what to do”, or something else?

JTBurns

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Having owned a number of different vehicles with stop-start and rented even more I really cant understand the hate for it. I’ve never had it be an inconvenience or safety issue.

Whats the problem? Is it fear of change, “the eco people can’t tell me what to do”, or something else?
This is the first vehicle I've had with it and don't really like it. Nothing to do with what eco people think either. I like the environment plenty. To me it just seems like it's going to put unnecessary wear on the starter and maybe other components. Also don't really enjoy when I don't feel I actually get the gas saving benefit of it turning off, like when the light changes green quickly, or the worst is when I'm going to put it in park. Literally turns off for 1 second, seems so senseless. Most times I just deactivate it on the dash.

shyoung1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave(SOLD) 2023 F350 Superduty

I have to agree with you, I don’t see the big deal with ESS.
It works so seamlessly it’s hardly noticeable.
Now if I had had battery problems or something, I might feel differentply.

Sponsored

ScottBeach

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator sport s
Occupation
Engineer
Start up is the most wearing point in an ice. Doing it 20 times in a 30 minute trip seems designed to premature engine failure.
I disable on every start. Still get over 22 mpg

IamAlan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Snazzberry Willys
Occupation
Retired
The air conditioner quits working the entire time you are at a traffic light. The heater stops working the entire time you are at a traffic light. There is a perceptible lag between the time you hit the gas and the time the vehicle actually moves. Instead of operating the starter twice per trip, you operate it a dozen times. Other than that, it's a hell of a system.

BamaJeepTruck

Banned
Banned
First Name
Reinhardt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S

Every time it operates I notice it, it’s just aggravating. I also don’t think going from off to instantly working above idle is good mechanically. I feel it’s like waking up and immediately sprinting. All for something I didn’t ask for and can’t order without.

DailyMoparGuy

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S 3.6L
Occupation
Engineer
I have to agree with the Auto stop/start comment. “Unnecessary” is the perfect word for it. It’s quick for what it is, but I think I’ve left it on by accident about 5 times so far in my 3k miles of driving the Gladiator.

IamAlan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Snazzberry Willys
Occupation
Retired
I have to agree with the Auto stop/start comment. “Unnecessary” is the perfect word for it. It’s quick for what it is, but I think I’ve left it on by accident about 5 times so far in my 3k miles of driving the Gladiator.
I hit "Start" then think "Avengers Assemble!" and hit the "A" button, lol.

Sponsored

Tiny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator SportS, manual, soft top, black
One other thing about the A.S.S. (yep, it's that annoying) is I have the manual. If it stops at a light or something and I push in the clutch, 9/10 if I don't give it a second I kill it. It's like the engine ain't ready for the torque and poops out. Don't have that problem with it disengaged. I switch it off almost every time but when I forget, I'm reminded.

BamaJeepTruck

Banned
Banned
First Name
Reinhardt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
One other thing about the A.S.S. (yep, it's that annoying) is I have the manual. If it stops at a light or something and I push in the clutch, 9/10 if I don't give it a second I kill it. It's like the engine ain't ready for the torque and poops out. Don't have that problem with it disengaged. I switch it off almost every time but when I forget, I'm reminded.
That’s enough to drive you insane. Count my blessings with the auto I guess

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
The ess will become more prevalent as vehicle makers search for best fuel economy, until we drive electric vehicles. There are ways to have it disabled.

There are options for the dead pedal, or set your foot flat on the floor.
Can't help on the door seal, I don't see that stain on hydro Blue.

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
My first experience with ESS was an F150 EcoBoost about 10 years ago. The lag from foot off brake to moving was about 3 seconds. Now, that doesn't seem like very long, unless you're pulling out from a stop sign onto a busy street in Salt Lake City...
I ended up disabling it in the menu.

The Gladiator, now, by the time I have my foot off the brake and over to the gas, it's ready to roll.
And it's not a problem with heating or cooling, because the motor will start if heating or cooling is called for.
Right now I'm driving (a rental) '19 Grand Cherokee, and it's not nearly as smooth with the ESS as the Gladiator.
And, according to Jeep, the starter & related components have all been beefed-up to withstand the ESS cycling.

And it will save fuel, especially if you live where there are Las Vegas-style red lights (I swear to God, the longest red lights in the country!)

Kevin
Sponsored