First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Artist
Having owned a number of different vehicles with stop-start and rented even more I really cant understand the hate for it. I’ve never had it be an inconvenience or safety issue.

Whats the problem? Is it fear of change, “the eco people can’t tell me what to do”, or something else?
Change is good. Don't get it I guess, I am at a light for maybe 30 secs so why shutdown
ESS is shown to save fuel vs leaving the engine running after only a few seconds. SAE studies have shown about an 8% improvement on average.

Almost all of the wear to and engine from starting up is from cold starts, not warm starts, and much of that wear has been negated by improvements in bearing technology. Oils and oiling systems are also better than they were in older engines.

I’ve never been in a vehicle with start-stop that would shut the engine off when the A/C or heat was needed.

I’ve also not been in a vehicle in the last 15 years with start-stop that didn’t have the engine started by the time my foot was all the way off the brake. If any of you are having that problem you should have the dealer take a look because something is wrong.

Starters in start-stop equipped vehicles are designed around the increased use so shutting it off to “save” them is pointless.

Economic and environmental impacts aside, imagine how much more peaceful and less stinky it would be sitting at an intersection in your Jeep with the doors off if the engines of all the cars around you were shut off?
That 8% is then lost to big ol nobby tires driven in the city and oh wait,...stop light...car shuts down, green light, get up and go! my point was that it is a peeve and i must remember to disengage it when i first get in.
Sponsored

OP
OP
AlxCZ

AlxCZ

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Artist
The ess will become more prevalent as vehicle makers search for best fuel economy, until we drive electric vehicles. There are ways to have it disabled.

There are options for the dead pedal, or set your foot flat on the floor.
Can't help on the door seal, I don't see that stain on hydro Blue.
What options please? i am not sure you can bolt anything in place.

BamaJeepTruck

Banned
Banned
First Name
Reinhardt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
I respect everyone’s POV with regard to the environment, however I live in a country responsible for 1.5% of the earths carbon escape in the environment. I see no need to pay carbon taxes here and pay for vehicle controls that have no effect on the air I breathe. Other countries like the US and China, responsible for more than 50% of the carbon escape, yes.
This post deserves more than one “like”. Well said

jsalbre

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Sarge Mojave, ‘21 VW Tiguan SEL-P RLine
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Security Engineer, First Sergeant
Sorry, mate. Start/Stop wasn't introduced to the US until 2012.
I think the US introduction was 2013, but it may have been MY2013 in 2012.

I’ve driven cars outside of the US.

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff

Sponsored

nbajunkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Wyllis
I don't mind the auto off system, when it works. The battery has to charge enough to use it. I drive probably 20 miles round-trip to work and back and it's never "ready". Other pet peave is lack of dead pedal. Last Android auto is finicky. I hate how my earbuds change over to the truck when truck turns on. But audio won't work until Android auto is on or blue tooth on auto is engaged.

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
Having owned a number of different vehicles with stop-start and rented even more I really cant understand the hate for it. I’ve never had it be an inconvenience or safety issue.

Whats the problem? Is it fear of change, “the eco people can’t tell me what to do”, or something else?
It makes the AC stop blowing cold. For someone who lives in the desert, this is an absolute no go

Binfordtools

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Willys
Occupation
Automotive Manager
Vehicle Showcase
three: The rubber molding around windows, the joint or seam is dead center on the window causing a dirty streak when it rains
I have a few comments on this, and please don't take them as being a smart a$$:
1.) Is the "dirty streak" always happening, or just when your Jeep is dirty then it rains?
2.) Why are you opening your windows in the rain? :LOL:
3.) I just looked at mine (picture below - excuse the dirty Jeep, it sits outside) and while there is a seam, the "wiper" function (felt) is straight across. I did a few roll down/ups with my dirty window and saw no streaks at all. I wonder if there is something out of adjustment on yours?
4.) My seam is towards the rear of the Jeep on the window. Is yours actually on the center of the door/window?

Jeep Gladiator Only three pet peeves about my Gladiator Sport 1618922056452

OP
OP
AlxCZ

AlxCZ

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Artist
I have a few comments on this, and please don't take them as being a smart a$$:
1.) Is the "dirty streak" always happening, or just when your Jeep is dirty then it rains?
2.) Why are you opening your windows in the rain? :LOL:
3.) I just looked at mine (picture below - excuse the dirty Jeep, it sits outside) and while there is a seam, the "wiper" function (felt) is straight across. I did a few roll down/ups with my dirty window and saw no streaks at all. I wonder if there is something out of adjustment on yours?
4.) My seam is towards the rear of the Jeep on the window. Is yours actually on the center of the door/window?

Jeep Gladiator Only three pet peeves about my Gladiator Sport 1618922056452
The seam isn't quite dead center but it definetly leaves a streak of dirt that if left for prolonged time would become a stain. I have a white gladiator and it is just something i noticed that seemed as if the mfr could've thought thru better. Windows closed in the rain btw. i am sure any other color is not noticeable at all but it is there.

OP
OP
AlxCZ

AlxCZ

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Artist

Sponsored

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
I thinknitnis an unecessary step on the way to hybrids or electric drive

BamaJeepTruck

Banned
Banned
First Name
Reinhardt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Because the starter is likely to outlast the engine.
Where did you come to that conclusion from? Not trying to be an ass, but are you suggesting modern vehicles never need starter replacement?

rdboyd

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland, 1971 Jeep Cj5
Occupation
Product Development Engineer
I have always found the auto stop feature in cars I have rented over the years to be annoying - loss of heating/cooling, delay in starting when the light changes, etc. I did not expect this sort of system would be used in a manual transmission, so I was a bit surprised to see the (A) button on the dash when I picked up my MT JT. Then after driving a few weeks I decided it must be a non-functioning button left in so they did not have to make 2 different center dash layouts. Finally at some point I came up to a stop light that had just changed to red. Since there were multiple lanes and left turn lights I knew I would be there a while, so I took it out of gear and let the clutch out so I would not have to hold it in for so long. To my surprise the engine shut off. I pushed in the clutch to put it back in gear before the light changed and it restarted. This seems to be much less annoying that the automatic version, since I can choose to use it or not based on how I handle the clutch at a stop. No need to ever push the (A) button to turn it off.

Ogre_FL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wranger JL 2 Door, Gladiator 80th
My worry with the ess isn’t so much at extra starter wear but the lack of oil pressure and circulation when waiting for a long light. I hate thinking there wasn’t any oil moving around 5 seconds and now here I am pulling off the line.

My only peeve at this point is the thick door wiring and strap that hits the side of my shin when I stretch my leg. I like the missing dead petal.
Have you tried the door strap twist trick yet?

Pull the strap off the holder peg and give it a twist (1 or 2 half turns) and then put it back on the peg.
You can do this without disconnecting the harness, or you can disconnect and do it as well.
This will cause it to sit up higher and closer to the side.

Jeep Gladiator Only three pet peeves about my Gladiator Sport 42b7b321-d60c-4dfd-8b88-fc3c39933966-jpe

Jeep Gladiator Only three pet peeves about my Gladiator Sport b7e35a1a-fd83-4250-b00a-20109aa7598b-jpe

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Thank you Kevin, I wasn't sure if I had any place to screw in a dead pedal, I lifted up the carpet and didn't see any bolts that i can remove and replace, am i to drill into the floor?

There's a bolt to remove and replace after installation at the 2:49 mark.
Sponsored