Sponsored

Only three pet peeves about my Gladiator Sport

Ogre_FL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wranger JL 2 Door, Gladiator 80th
Having both a Gladiator and a JL I can say the ESS is NOT the same on every jeep.
I know why some hate it and others dont.

My Gladiator is "not awful". I can regulate the brake pedal and keep it from activating.
I still dont like it and push the button often.
It is a pain to HAVE to make a real effort to drive around the system.

It is near impossible to do on the JL.
I can not find that happy place where the jeep stops/holds and the ESS does not activate.
I REALLY hate the activation when you go to put it in park.
Sponsored

red/green hawk

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S with max tow package, 2008 Suburban LTZ
Occupation
ICU Nurse
@Sazabi19 brings up a good point I hadn’t considered and there probably is a difference in ESS stopped and a full shutdown.
The difference is your motor isn't running to charge the alternator. Here's the deal, if the engineers have motives that are pure and clean as the wind driven snow and if the JT is designed like any other new vehicle it is gaurunteed your alternator/starter/battery will all break down the day after your warrany expires. Is the money your "saving" on gas more than the money you'll spend on repairs?

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Kia Cadenza, 2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S
The engineers are usually just given a set of requirements to design and test towards. If the goal is to just last the warranty period, then that’s what you’re going to get. Newer Mercedes are known for systems miraculously failing shortly after the standard lease period and I’d bet money this is why. Hopefully Jeep expects better from their products.
Ya, I've heard that before. While I HOPE that isn't really the case, I wouldn't put it past any company to actually do so.

jsalbre

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Sarge Mojave, ‘21 VW Tiguan SEL-P RLine
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Security Engineer, First Sergeant
Man, I expected a few people to make counterpoints, but I really hadn’t expected to kick off such a debate. Sorry for the thread jack OP.

Maybe tomorrow I’ll ask what oil brand is the best, or maybe what octane to use. :LOL:

Bucephalus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator/ 20 AMG GLB 35/ 02 Ranger/ 06 BMW M3
Occupation
Laboratory and Medical Supplies
I never wanted ESS but when I got the Mercedes I fell in love with this feature. The ESS is much better on then Benz--more intuitive and less intrusive. I wish the ESS was as good on the Gladiator, I also wish it had a hold feature. On the Benz if I push the brake all the way down it puts the car in hold and i can relax my foot for a bit.

Sponsored

Tingedrook

First Name
Quentin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Civil Engineer
The three are
one: that silly 'A' auto shutoff capability to save on gas, annoying and unnecessary, I think.
two: No dead pedal or decent rest area for left foot
three: The rubber molding around windows, the joint or seam is dead center on the window causing a dirty streak when it rains
see photo
If you hate the ESS as much as I do, give the auto start/stop eliminator a try. It was designed using my 2018 JLU and works with the Gladiator as well. All it does it sends a code to the computer of the last setting that ESS had while the vehicle was running. I have it set to turn off the ESS with every start. I use this because my Wrangler JLU shut down in a busy intersection during peak traffic and left me stranded. Turns out the power distribution block was loose causing the ESS battery not to charge.

2020-2021 Jeep Gladiator JT Autostop Eliminator

BamaJeepTruck

Banned
Banned
First Name
Reinhardt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Yes you can disable it if you want but to me for some reason it seems petulant to do so
Petulant to want my vehicle to operate the way I want? Its normal to want something you just paid tens of thousands of dollars for to not annoy you when using it. If I cared about fuel economy I wouldn't have bought a brick and drove it into the wind. Simply speaking its annoying, and complaining about something being annoying when you paid for it is a normal reaction.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Unfortunately, to get the fuel economy numbers that Jeep needs for its fleet, it has to have the start stop in it's vehicles.

seanmh72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
What is the actual amount of fuel being used during idle at a light compared to starting an engine up from a dead stop?

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Kia Cadenza, 2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S
Petulant to want my vehicle to operate the way I want? Its normal to want something you just paid tens of thousands of dollars for to not annoy you when using it. If I cared about fuel economy I wouldn't have bought a brick and drove it into the wind. Simply speaking its annoying, and complaining about something being annoying when you paid for it is a normal reaction.
When it's integrated into every vehicle and is advertised to be there and is there to meet govt. regulations, I think so. It almost reminds me of people complaining about airbags being in every car. But to each their own, you can complain if you'd like, I'll just think it's a bit juvenile lol. Especially when you can control it with your own foot with little to no real effort.

Sponsored

mountainpass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport w/ Max Tow
I always check the rear window cranks in mine and I always find that they have to be rolled up tight again. It's like they loosen on their own.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver

stickshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
I respect everyone’s POV with regard to the environment, however I live in a country responsible for 1.5% of the earths carbon escape in the environment. I see no need to pay carbon taxes here and pay for vehicle controls that have no effect on the air I breathe. Other countries like the US and China, responsible for more than 50% of the carbon escape, yes.
Yes, but on a per capita basis, Canada and the U.S. emit the exact same volume of Carbon Dioxide.
Here are a handful of countries by their rank in terms of tons of CO2 per capita. Source: Emissions Database for Global Atmospheric Research (EDGAR).

CO2 Emissions: Tons Per Capita (2018)
RankCountryTons per capita
11Saudi Arabia18.6
16Canada16.1
17United States16.1
24Russia12.1
44China8.0
69United Kingdom5.6
116Brazil2.4
131India1.9

jsalbre

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
What is the actual amount of fuel being used during idle at a light compared to starting an engine up from a dead stop?
The average engine uses the same amount of fuel to idle for 7 seconds that it does to start.

jsalbre

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Where did you come to that conclusion from? Not trying to be an ass, but are you suggesting modern vehicles never need starter replacement?
The average starter is rated for approximately 50k starts. Stop-start vehicle starters are usually rated for 10 times this. If you disable start-stop your starter will probably long outlast your engine. Obviously some starters need replacing, but so do some engines, air conditioners, dashboard clusters, and any other component.

Honestly I’m surprised that start-stop hasn’t been mandated by law at this point, like catalytic converters and other miscellaneous environmental protection features. The fuel savings during rush hour in the average US city would be enormous.
Sponsored