Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
I think buying the camper after having tow vehicle and have a good understanding of what YOU CAN TOW, not the max rating of the vehicle is the way to go…….Jack
Jack, well said friend!

this forum is actually what helped me learn and make the right choice
Sponsored

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 MAX TOW MAX TOW MAX TOW, 4.10s w 1583 payload
Nope. Light duty = "they". Sure, with enough gears you can modify a washing machine motor to pull a freight train but would you want to?
Nope. No amount of dime you can add to change the payload and towing limits. Only way to achieve this is put it in another vehicle…

OP
OP
Lowcountryearl

Lowcountryearl

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 1998 TJ
Occupation
Biomedical Engineer
Thanks @Gren71 Also glad to see you found the perfect toys for your dogs, never thought of matchboxes :), appreciate the pictures.
I agree Jack, trying to gain as much knowledge about towing with the Gladiator before I pull the trigger on a camper, I would rather downsize my camper than go back to a full size un-fun vehicle. With that said I see my weight scaling back with each post on the thread. I think this is going to put me in a single axle camper, there's a lot of debate about that as well but if a ex Army guy can do it, this ole ex Navy deep sea diver can do it too,,,Lol

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
You can find dual axle trailers with unloaded weights 500 lbs below that - our 24' is 4400 dry. Less now with all the interior cruft we took out, despite the flooring weight. The 7000 lb GVWR is irrelevant, the loaded weight is what matters. We stay under 6000 lb and a 720 lb tongue because there just isn't that much stuff in our world, last trip we were at 5400 before we filled up on 350 lbs of water near our destination.

I've seen 19's with dual axles, pretty sure. The difference in towing a single axle cargo trailer vs double axle convinced me the latter is MUCH preferred.

WDH is a must, and if you get one with sway control built in, even better.

Get everything on a commercial scale and get hard data. There is a big difference between a 10% tongue weight and a 15% tongue weight on your loaded truck and in your loaded trailer.

Towing at speeds over 65 is dangerous, full stop. Trailer tires are speed rated. Complaining about 11 MPG towing is funny, what do people expect? Don't speed, plan your trip, have fun.

I've read all 60+ pages of the "what do you tow" thread and a few others plus the "burned to the ground" thread, have a question;
Would you feel comfortable towing a dual axle camper that weighs 4900 #'s unloaded with a tongue weight of 525#'s giving the obvious of brake controller and sway bars and maybe WD system with a Rubicon? Trying to decide on a camper for the wife and I.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
You can find dual axle trailers with unloaded weights 500 lbs below that - our 24' is 4400 dry. Less now with all the interior cruft we took out, despite the flooring weight. The 7000 lb GVWR is irrelevant, the loaded weight is what matters. We stay under 6000 lb and a 720 lb tongue because there just isn't that much stuff in our world, last trip we were at 5400 before we filled up on 350 lbs of water near our destination.

I've seen 19's with dual axles, pretty sure. The difference in towing a single axle cargo trailer vs double axle convinced me the latter is MUCH preferred.

WDH is a must, and if you get one with sway control built in, even better.

Get everything on a commercial scale and get hard data. There is a big difference between a 10% tongue weight and a 15% tongue weight on your loaded truck and in your loaded trailer.

Towing at speeds over 65 is dangerous, full stop. Trailer tires are speed rated. Complaining about 11 MPG towing is funny, what do people expect? Don't speed, plan your trip, have fun.
The Gladiator has a built-in sway control.
Page 309
"Trailer Sway Control (TSC)
TSC uses sensors in the vehicle to recognize an
excessively swaying trailer and will take the
appropriate actions to attempt to stop the sway."

Screenshot_20210824-110952.png

Sponsored

ToJTornottoJT

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel, 1997 Jeep XJ
Occupation
Real Estate Appraiser/Broker
Yes, I regularly tow a 5,500 # boat with my Gladiator diesel on 100 mile round trips to the lake and back home. I previously had a 2012 Ram 1500 Crew Cab with 5.7L Hemi. I have noticed that I need to go slower in the Jeep. In the Ram I could go as fast as I want and not have any stability issues. In the Jeep I can feel the boat slightly moving the Jeep around on a really bumpy stretch of road.

Jeep Gladiator Would you feel comfortable towing... 1629818305632

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
The Gladiator has a built-in sway control.
Page 309
"Trailer Sway Control (TSC)
TSC uses sensors in the vehicle to recognize an
excessively swaying trailer and will take the
appropriate actions to attempt to stop the sway."

Screenshot_20210824-110952.png
My guess is that only comes with the other nifty safety features in that package. None of which i have :facepalm: so can’t really speak to their efficacy.

Terry

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Private Investigator
Vehicle Showcase
I've read all 60+ pages of the "what do you tow" thread and a few others plus the "burned to the ground" thread, have a question;
Would you feel comfortable towing a dual axle camper that weighs 4900 #'s unloaded with a tongue weight of 525#'s giving the obvious of brake controller and sway bars and maybe WD system with a Rubicon? Trying to decide on a camper for the wife and I.
I, like many of us want the experience of places like say... Yosemite. I have had trailers, had campers, had tents, and this is the best trailer I ever towed there.
I like many of us appreciate places like Yosemite National Park. I have had trailers, campers, motor homes, and tent trailers... and this is the best trailer I ever towed to Yosemite.......

Hotel.jpg

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
My guess is that only comes with the other nifty safety features in that package. None of which i have :facepalm: so can’t really speak to their efficacy.
It comes with the tow package.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
i’m not sure what the deal is but I’m starting to notice more and more members on this forum are getting extra testy with one another lately…. which is kind of a drag because up until recently it was always a really friendly community
People need to turn off the TV news and ignore fakebook and instacrap, it's all a downer and bad stuff.

Josh00333

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Freedom
Build Thread
Link
OP, really not enough information to give you an answer.

What trailer are you looking at?
What physical size is it? Long, width?
What are it's gvwr numbers?

A 7000 pound loaded 7' wide 16' long box trailer will be different than a 28' long 8' wide travel trailer of the same weight.

A 5100 pound "dry" rv with a gvwr of 7500 pounds will probably hit the road at over 6k, if not 6500 pounds. People under estimate the weight of accessories they buy with the trailer and the things they load on to it.

In short unless we know what you're looking at we can't help.

My .02$ and you get what you pay for:
90% of the folks towing with the glad are over loaded. They have 35-37" 2" lifts pulling 25'+ long 8' wide trailers.

All say pulls great!. With them tools, stuff trailer they are all over loaded on payload and tow rating.

The guys pulling 20' or less 7' wide trailers with Max Tow package (really the pay load is what you are after) with out lift kits are probably the ones you want to emulate.

My rig is a 16' small RV that is 7' wide 4k dry 5-5.5k with me set for camping. I chose it for those specific reasons.

OP
OP
Lowcountryearl

Lowcountryearl

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 1998 TJ
Occupation
Biomedical Engineer
2021 Rockwood mini lite
SPECIFICATIONS
Hitch Weight:614 lb. UVW4,841 lb. CCC1,933 lb. Exterior Length:22' 4" Exterior Height:10' 11" Exterior Width:96" Fresh Water:52.00 gal. Gray Water:30.00 gal. Black Water:30.00 gal. Awning Size:15'