First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Willys
Occupation
Working
Well, nice to see Mitsubishi getting some recognition. Iā€™m not sure what previous years reports looked like but my wife drives a 2015 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport which is listed as a top small suv in the report, first vehicle we ever bought new, and she has 91k on it now and it has literally never been to the shop aside from two recall issues. One of the best vehicles Iā€™ve ever owned. Right before covid my father-in-law bought one after seeing how good of luck weā€™ve had. He also has had zero problems. So I do believe JD power knows a thing or two and have a lot of confidence in this report now. I sure like the Gladiator so far.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
That's a bunch of hooey - look at all of the constant complaints here in the forum and on FB. These things must be real piles of doggy doo! HVAC sucks, they catch fire, they fall apart towing, engines fail and miss. I can't see how JD Power can show their faces.

šŸ˜

flyil

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator HA Snazzberry
Knock on wood I'm good, except for the factory which installed the wrong dash panel on my High Altitude. So the panel above the passenger glove box has gray stitching instead of the caramel color. Working with dealer on fix.

I also experienced a weird electronic error where for about 200 miles it mistakenly accused me of not putting the gas cap on. Resolved on its own.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Knock on wood I'm good, except for the factory which installed the wrong dash panel on my High Altitude. So the panel above the passenger glove box has gray stitching instead of the caramel color. Working with dealer on fix.

I also experienced a weird electronic error where for about 200 miles it mistakenly accused me of not putting the gas cap on. Resolved on its own.
I've heard of that gas cap thing - I got distracted by a gas pump that was acting stupid and doing weird things and buttons not working and so on, filled me truck moved the nozzle to my fuel cans and then finished with them and was so mad at that ill-maintained pump - I forgot the gas cap for a couple of blocks, then realized I couldn't remember putting it back on.
No errors, no lights, no messages. It didn't care.

UM_Ftown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ
Ram separates itself from Dodge to help itā€™s quality rankings, Dodge in second place now anyways.

flyil

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator HA Snazzberry
Ram separates itself from Dodge to help itā€™s quality rankings, Dodge in second place now anyways.
Interesting that FCA brands were at both the front and the rear. What's left of Chrysler in dead last. Though the Chrysler I had before my Jeep ran like a top into old age.

Challenger85

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21ā€™ Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Electrical
That's a bunch of hooey - look at all of the constant complaints here in the forum and on FB. These things must be real piles of doggy doo! HVAC sucks, they catch fire, they fall apart towing, engines fail and miss. I can't see how JD Power can show their faces.

šŸ˜
Lol definitely. I learned awhile ago that youā€™ll find issues everywhere you go. Ford fans say Jeeps are crap, Dodge fans say Fords are crap. Forums are designed for people to complain, I wouldnā€™t doubt any manufacturer on that list has a forum with complaints. Some misconstrue that youā€™re more likely to complain online than say nice things. No manufacturer is perfect and all cars have issues but for the most part theyā€™re pretty well made these days. I read the concerns and took my chances, I read the same concerns about my Challenger.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Lol definitely. I learned awhile ago that youā€™ll find issues everywhere you go. Ford fans say Jeeps are crap, Dodge fans say Fords are crap. Forums are designed for people to complain, I wouldnā€™t doubt any manufacturer on that list has a forum with complaints. Some misconstrue that youā€™re more likely to complain online than say nice things. No manufacturer is perfect and all cars have issues but for the most part theyā€™re pretty well made these days. I read the concerns and took my chances, I read the same concerns about my Challenger.
Exactly.

Sponsored

Yossarian

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Retired
Initial Quality, great. I wonder how the Gladiator ranks in quality for the long term, say 2-5 years?

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
Initial Quality, great. I wonder how the Gladiator ranks in quality for the long term, say 2-5 years?
Guess we'll find out.

Mine's still great at 23,000+ miles (except the radio, which has had issues from the start.)

Kevin

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Guess we'll find out.

Mine's still great at 23,000+ miles (except the radio, which has had issues from the start.)

Kevin
That report PDF shows that infotainment is a common complaint across all companies, or words to that effect. Seems like nothing is reliable in that area.

OP
OP

spectre6000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
pending
New car forums are magnets for complaints, and make things seem pretty dire across the board. Classic car forums, by comparison, are much more focused on modifications and usage.

To tie it into the "Gladiator" theme, Seneca the Younger (Roman philosopher who noodled a fair bit on the nature of anger and happiness) posited that anger arises from unmet expectations. If you buy a new car, your expectation is that it's "perfect". A flaw in any of the tens, if not hundreds of thousands of components and sub-component parts creeps into the manufacturing process, that expectation goes unmet, and the natural response is anger. In this era, we exercise that anger by tickling keyboards in hopes of receiving validation from other like minded people. If you get a series of survey questions, and you've noticed an issue, even if it didn't bother you enough to open a laptop (or whatever device), you're likely to mention it. It's no mistake that the most complex parts get the most complains. The number of passive and active components on the PCBs in the average infotainment centers is far greater than that of all the mechanical components in the entire rest of the vehicle. Add to that the precision with which they must be manufactured, AND the hundreds of thousands of lines of code that must be flawlessly created and executed... THEN you're counting on often technologically inept users to be able to work these complex machines... There will be issues. Some are meaningful and real, others aren't. All of it is magnified out of proportion in places like this. Nature of the beast. Set your expectations according to the realities of the situation, and you'll likely be a happy camper.
Sponsored