Sponsored

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
OK now I have to complain about my Gladiator. I have had to take it in to the dealer twice. . .to get my free Jeep Wave oil changes.
:)
well, yeah, the sun visors broke. I wish they would make the attachments out of metal. In 50 years I never had a sun visor failure until my Gladiator.
Sponsored

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
New car forums are magnets for complaints, and make things seem pretty dire across the board. Classic car forums, by comparison, are much more focused on modifications and usage.

To tie it into the "Gladiator" theme, Seneca the Younger (Roman philosopher who noodled a fair bit on the nature of anger and happiness) posited that anger arises from unmet expectations. If you buy a new car, your expectation is that it's "perfect". A flaw in any of the tens, if not hundreds of thousands of components and sub-component parts creeps into the manufacturing process, that expectation goes unmet, and the natural response is anger. In this era, we exercise that anger by tickling keyboards in hopes of receiving validation from other like minded people. If you get a series of survey questions, and you've noticed an issue, even if it didn't bother you enough to open a laptop (or whatever device), you're likely to mention it. It's no mistake that the most complex parts get the most complains. The number of passive and active components on the PCBs in the average infotainment centers is far greater than that of all the mechanical components in the entire rest of the vehicle. Add to that the precision with which they must be manufactured, AND the hundreds of thousands of lines of code that must be flawlessly created and executed... THEN you're counting on often technologically inept users to be able to work these complex machines... There will be issues. Some are meaningful and real, others aren't. All of it is magnified out of proportion in places like this. Nature of the beast. Set your expectations according to the realities of the situation, and you'll likely be a happy camper.
Pretty much this!

My understanding is that the majority of initial quality complaints have to do with the new infotainment and creature comfort systems that are more and more being standard equipment than being with the hard nuts and bolts mechanicals of a vehicle. Factor those out, and those quality scores go way up and shuffle the deck on who is first through last place.

Simple fact is those defect rates have gone down regardless over the last 20 plus years and even a low scoring brand today is either at or better than a higher scoring survey brand from 20+ years ago.

Digster

First Name
Diggy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator
Occupation
Collector
Guess I avoided the “bunch of hooey” - I am eight months and 5,500 miles in with my 80th Anniversary Edition and haven’t had one issue - everything works perfectly - great performance and build quality - one happy camper so quit yer bitchin.

hazards280

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Mojave, 19' Giulia, 64' Cobra
I suppose I have mixed feelings about this award, but it could just be a case of me getting a Gladiator with issues. We've owned numerous FCA vehicles through the years, and actually have a Alfa Romeo Giulia and RAM 1500 in the garage right now. Luckily, I have never had to take any of the vehicles in for service as I do the oil changes and rotations and assumed I would have similar luck with the JT.

My 21' Mojave's bed lights did not work upon returning home after delivery. The icon on the dash would toggle but nobody was home out back. I called the dealer and they couldn't get me in to look at it for over a month and I had just driven home from buying it that day. I ended up tracing it down to a bent pin on a BCM connector under the passenger floorboard. I shouldn't have had to do this after buying a new truck, but it is what it is.

Now at 1,400 miles I have a whining noise coming from the center console that is very obvious in the cabin at 62 MPH and above. It's very much so drivetrain noise and you can hear it plain as day if as a passenger you put your ear down to the e-brake handle. Again, called 3 different dealers in the area and they just say "it's an off-road vehicle with off-road tires, it makes noise" and want to schedule it way out. Even coming from numerous Wranglers and most recently a JL Diesel they still give the canned answer.

I truly want to love the JT as it has everything I've ever wanted, but the quality and dealer support just hasn't been there. I submitted my concerns to FCA in the follow-up survey, but I never heard a word back.

Last edited:

Slojo

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JK Unlimited X, 2011 Grand Cherokee, 2016 Colorado Z 71
The problem with these surveys is that it really isn't very scientific. There are a lot of used Gladiators with low miles. A lot of initial owners are not keeping them long enough to have an issue. It's like the Wrangler, people like the idea of them but don't like the driving and ergonomic characteristics. That's my two big words of the day, I'm out.

Sponsored

Green_Gladiator

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mojave, 22 NX350 F-Sport
Occupation
Commercial HVAC
Lol definitely. I learned awhile ago that you’ll find issues everywhere you go. Ford fans say Jeeps are crap, Dodge fans say Fords are crap. Forums are designed for people to complain, I wouldn’t doubt any manufacturer on that list has a forum with complaints. Some misconstrue that you’re more likely to complain online than say nice things. No manufacturer is perfect and all cars have issues but for the most part they’re pretty well made these days. I read the concerns and took my chances, I read the same concerns about my Challenger.
⬆ This is soo true ... long time Jeep fan .. first time owner .. Ford/Toyota all my life. If I listened to the rumors and brand bashing I would not have purchased the Gladiator ... Based my purchase off the millions of Jeep wranglers I've seen on the road over the years ... Many generations of repeat buyers and the 3.6 being around for some time on different platforms ...

Love my JT!

Chris262

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Auto Technician
New car forums are magnets for complaints, and make things seem pretty dire across the board. Classic car forums, by comparison, are much more focused on modifications and usage.

To tie it into the "Gladiator" theme, Seneca the Younger (Roman philosopher who noodled a fair bit on the nature of anger and happiness) posited that anger arises from unmet expectations. If you buy a new car, your expectation is that it's "perfect". A flaw in any of the tens, if not hundreds of thousands of components and sub-component parts creeps into the manufacturing process, that expectation goes unmet, and the natural response is anger. In this era, we exercise that anger by tickling keyboards in hopes of receiving validation from other like minded people. If you get a series of survey questions, and you've noticed an issue, even if it didn't bother you enough to open a laptop (or whatever device), you're likely to mention it. It's no mistake that the most complex parts get the most complains. The number of passive and active components on the PCBs in the average infotainment centers is far greater than that of all the mechanical components in the entire rest of the vehicle. Add to that the precision with which they must be manufactured, AND the hundreds of thousands of lines of code that must be flawlessly created and executed... THEN you're counting on often technologically inept users to be able to work these complex machines... There will be issues. Some are meaningful and real, others aren't. All of it is magnified out of proportion in places like this. Nature of the beast. Set your expectations according to the realities of the situation, and you'll likely be a happy camper.
Thank you! No offense to a lot of the people on these kinds of forums but they don't understand is for every 5 of them with issues there's like 5000 other people who are not having any issues at all. I work at a dealership and I get the forum people coming in talking about EVERYONE is having this issue when in reality we have never seen it. We look at every vehicle and if we can replicate it we will fix it. Parts availability right now is terrible... We have customers waiting for short blocks for engines for months. Little simple parts that were readily available are 2-3 weeks out. On top of that technicians are looking at cars for hours and not getting paid anything if they can't replicate the intermittent issues. We can't just throw parts at vehicles and hope that the manufacturers pay out for all of it.

That being said I always wanted a Jeep but from my experience with working on them in an independent shop I always stayed away from them. Working at a dealership now and I saw they took a Gladiator in on trade and asked them if I could take it home for the weekend because I was in the market for a midsize pickup. I was seriously impressed how not cheap feeling anything was inside of the vehicle and all the panels were put together tightly. The buttons, dials, and switches all felt like good quality. I asked the Chrysler techs how reliable the 3.6L and transmission are and they all told me that they are super solid. Hopefully things stay that way in the long run

OP
OP

spectre6000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
pending
I'm the opposite of a fan boy of any brand. Well... I guess that depends on which direction "opposite" points... I started my car hobbydom with air cooled VWs. Had a half dozen or so of them; mostly late-50s, very early-60s. When I moved to the mountains in Colorado from Texas having never learned to drive on, let alone actually seen, snow, I figured a lightly built rear engined vehicle that relied on my knees for crumple zones ('62 bus at the time) was probably not the best car to learn in.

I spent the better part of the next decade on an automotive walkabout. I owned and drove something from just about every manufacturer out there. There were definitely some surprises. Ford is a "never again" brand. BMW surprised me at how good they were. As I've learned more and more, Toyota is toward the bottom of the stack if you want anything other than reliability, because that reliability is a one trick pony earned by using only super old tech, and never trying anything new (like, you know, disc brakes, TACOMA!). Also, it's not really anything more than a reputation being monetized any more (speaking from a Tacoma perspective).

Like most people, I started out with the societally held beliefs re: quality, reliability, etc. on a per marque basis. Jeep used to be very very low in the reliability category, and the Diamler merger did not help the case. The Fiat merger on the other hand produced some genuinely positive outcomes for the Jeep brand. Compared to the JK (developed under the Diamler regime), the JL is not in the same league in terms of fit and finish. When I bought my previous truck in 2019, I shopped the ZR2 Bison against the Gladiator and Tacoma. I had always wanted a Tacoma, and so it was a pretty significant disappointment. The Bison was the best of all of them to drive, feature set, and price. The JT was the quality standout. Having driven my wife's JK for years, I was genuinely impressed with the thing. It had just hit the market though, and dealers were still MSRP plus, and the diesel wasn't out yet (though at this point, I'm leaning toward the gasser anyway), so I went with the Bison. GM quality issues have me back here. I hope my initial impressions hold, and this news item suggests it will.

Sponsored

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
Occupation
CPA
I am on my 4th Jeep, 82 CJ, 88 XJ, 17 JKU Rubicon and now the 20 JT Rubicon. They have all been reliable with very few issues until the JT. The latest issue with the JT required the rear axle to be replaced and due to parts shortages I was without the car for 30 days. Crossing my fingers that I will not have any other major issues.

alyn

First Name
Alyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator,2019 Hyundai Santa Fe
Occupation
Retired
Has any one ever stood in a Honda service lane and saw how many Honda's are towed in.Tis is intended as slam to you Consumer Reports we love Honda's.

FloridaMan655321

First Name
Lieutenant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 1973 F-100 - both manual
Occupation
Lieutenant (not really)
Overall I'm happy with mine closing in on one year in. My only complaints is the auto start thing (ole lady hates it as well) and I wish first/reverse gears were a bit lower geared (manual). Otherwise, seems well built. Really hoping to keep it for a long time, eventually replace it with a different daily driver.

Casique

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HA Gladiator, 2011 FLHX, 2022 MDX
2K on the odometer with no issues! Knock on wood...
Sponsored