Sponsored

RSI Smartcap

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You can but it kind of folds the seal back when you close it, I’m not sure if it would keep water out properly.
Thanks.

That kind of sucks. But I don't think any other caps are any different. I wish someone would set up the seals like the rear door of a Wrangler works. Where the tailgate closed against a seal on the cap.

I like the idea of being able to leave the cap locked and just open the tailgate (which locks with the central locks) when I need to get stuff out on a day to day basis.
Sponsored

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
Don, I think you can but you will have to play with the adjustment by raising the top a little bit so less pressure is on gasket, mine works as you want to, but it is a little too tight as I didn't really set it up that way, but your idea is a good one. Friends open my tailgate with cap hatch closed, but I think it will be tough on gasket, I am positive you can set it up the way you want. Sliding cap forward helps a lot on the tension as the top of tailgate is ramped, and top works awesome at the right spot and only ok too far back.........Jack

TheMirage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
You can but it kind of folds the seal back when you close it, I’m not sure if it would keep water out properly.
I'm waiting on my cap but would you say it's best to always open the window first when opening and close it last when closing?

Deleted member 28696

I'm waiting on my cap but would you say it's best to always open the window first when opening and close it last when closing?
When you open the tail gate the Seal decompresses so when you put it back up it will fold that seal back which to me isn't ideal, for me I'd open the back cap window before you close it so it can seal correctly against the tailgate.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'll figure a way to make it work. Possibly by sliding the cap a bit forward

I generally don't carry keys with me. In fact I hate using keys.

So my preference would be to access the bed through the tailgate most of the time. I guess in reality I won't even lock it most of the time, so that could be a solution.

If you know how the interface between the back glass and swing gate on a Wrangler fits, you know what I'm shooting for.

Sponsored

ThePhotoBus

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Diesel, 2003 Tacoma Off-road DC, 2014 Subaru Forester
The Load Bar dimensions are:
Length = 53.15 in (1350 mm)
Width = 3.15 in (80 mm)
Height = 2.56 in (65 mm)
Total Height above roof (including mounting feet) = 3.15 in (80 mm)
smartCap-load-bars_1.jpg
smartCap-load-bars_2.jpg
smartCap-load-bars_3.jpg
@RSI North America Inc - the dimensions in this post (width = 3.15 in; height = 2.56) does not match the specs on the RSI website for the gladiator load bars (w = 3.94; h = 1.18). Which is correct? Perhaps I'm misunderstanding 1 of them?

Jeep Gladiator RSI Smartcap Screenshot_20220109-190642

Deleted member 28696

Your website says free shipping over $399 but I'm quoted $132 for shipping?
Same thing happened to me & I stopped the Smart Cap order & purchased it locally instead. I Didn’t like the idea that they have an extra link that you need to click to find out that their advertised free shipping isn’t free after all, seems like bait & switch I didn’t want to deal with a company who does business in that way.

SmartCap

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.smartcap.com
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator, Tacoma, Tundra, F Series, Silverado...
@RSI North America Inc - the dimensions in this post (width = 3.15 in; height = 2.56) does not match the specs on the RSI website for the gladiator load bars (w = 3.94; h = 1.18). Which is correct? Perhaps I'm misunderstanding 1 of them?

Jeep Gladiator RSI Smartcap Screenshot_20220109-190642
Thanks for catching this. The numbers that were posted previously on the forum are correct. We'll adjust our website accordingly.
FYI, the "H" dimension refers to the height of the Load Bar from the where it meets the roof rail, to the top of the bar. The height from the roof to the top of the bar is 3.15 inches.
Thanks again for pointing that out!

ThePhotoBus

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Diesel, 2003 Tacoma Off-road DC, 2014 Subaru Forester
Thanks for catching this. The numbers that were posted previously on the forum are correct. We'll adjust our website accordingly.
FYI, the "H" dimension refers to the height of the Load Bar from the where it meets the roof rail, to the top of the bar. The height from the roof to the top of the bar is 3.15 inches.
Thanks again for pointing that out!
Glad to here. Thanks @RSI North America Inc . These are going to work perfectly then. Cheers!

duvinclunk

First Name
Davin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTR
Anyone with lock issues? This has been happening since day one and I thought it would get better but it has only gotten worse. I have attempted to spray clean it out and then lubricate it but no success. It is getting increasingly hard to unlock the shell and it’s getting more and more frustrating.

Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I sprayed some graphite in mine when new, that helped a lot. The locks are not very deep, and it's a little more difficult to get the key in straight so it engages properly.

duvinclunk

First Name
Davin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTR
I sprayed some graphite in mine when new, that helped a lot. The locks are not very deep, and it's a little more difficult to get the key in straight so it engages properly.
It was hard to film and unlock at the same time but the key is inserted straight when using. I believe if it was a matter of being straight I’d think the key would come out smoothly but the lock internals grab and hold the key even when trying to pull it out.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Anyone with lock issues? This has been happening since day one and I thought it would get better but it has only gotten worse. I have attempted to spray clean it out and then lubricate it but no success. It is getting increasingly hard to unlock the shell and it’s getting more and more frustrating.

Have you reached out to RSI about replacing the locks?

Is it happening on all the locks or just that one?

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have not yet. I want to see first if this was common behavior.
I have one on order. I'll be very interested to hear how they treat you.

Every product can have a defect. This is a premium product, I would expect premium support from them.
Sponsored