Sponsored

What is an unpopular opinion you have in the Jeep community?

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
My first unpopular opinion was so popular. It got removed. So here's my second one.

Fenders. Why do people replace the fenders with stubby one's? I like coverage over the tire to keep rocks and mud down. Nothing like breaking the windshield in the car behind you and having to pay for it.
Sponsored

BA33

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JL Willys Sport (sold), '22 JT Willys Sport
Occupation
Teacher
My first unpopular opinion was so popular. It got removed. So here's my second one.

Fenders. Why do people replace the fenders with stubby one's? I like coverage over the tire to keep rocks and mud down. Nothing like breaking the windshield in the car behind you and having to pay for it.
Better yet, nothing like breaking your own windshield as your tire flings a rock up and forward and you drive right into it.

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
This brings up my unpopular Jeep opinion: Unless you're actually towing, manual is the wrong transmission for any wrangler or gladiator. Frankly it's the wrong transmission for a lot of vehicles sold today. The fact that the car with the highest percentage of manual sales is the Miata which has a wide double digit lead over any mustang, camaro, or challenger, and the corvette, supra, and 911 aren't even sold manual anymore should be considered a failure to teach our children the joys of driving.
I support this opinion 100%

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
But we all have different screen resolutions. On a 4k screen, resize to screen is considerably larger than on 1920x1080.
This is a case where "size doesn't always matter"
The FILE size is what slows things down, The display size is not necessarily connected to the file size.
Reduce the resolution the number of pixels, or when saving you don't need to make it photographic quality. Computer and phone screens can only display so many pixels.
Anything for the web can be really stripped down and still be great viewing - it just won't print like a photo on a photo printer.
I can make 2 filles that will display the same "size" on your screen, but be very different in file size - and that's what slows things down. We don't need pictures of a file size 1 meg or bigger - that sort of quality won't matter on a screen.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
This is a case where "size doesn't always matter"
The FILE size is what slows things down, The display size is not necessarily connected to the file size.
Reduce the resolution the number of pixels, or when saving you don't need to make it photographic quality. Computer and phone screens can only display so many pixels.
Anything for the web can be really stripped down and still be great viewing - it just won't print like a photo on a photo printer.
I can make 2 filles that will display the same "size" on your screen, but be very different in file size - and that's what slows things down. We don't need pictures of a file size 1 meg or bigger - that sort of quality won't matter on a screen.
It does if we're reducing to screen resolution, because screen size is inherently linked to the pixels displayed at one time. My phone display is 3216x1440, so when I screenshot, that's how big the resulting image is. This site offers no way to reduce that size when doing a mobile upload. What I'm getting at is many of us are on mobile. No way to manipulate upload size. So screenshots will be in full resolution, without using some kind of 3rd party app.

And for those of us on mobile uploading photographs, rather than screenshots, it's even worse. Most smartphone cameras these days are 40-50 megapixels or more, with no interface here to reduce that size. Other forums I've been on have offered a tool to reduce file quality. That doesn't seem to exist on this site, so it'll require a third party app. I've literally never accessed this site from a pc. So the tools/interface might very well be different there.

But I also don't have any slowness on this site. That's where gigabit internet speed is helpful. I've never noticed any lag here.

texanjeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport-S Granite Crystal Metallic
Occupation
I.T.
delete duplicate post

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
It does if we're reducing to screen resolution, because screen size is inherently linked to the pixels displayed at one time. My phone display is 3216x1440, so when I screenshot, that's how big the resulting image is. This site offers no way to reduce that size when doing a mobile upload. What I'm getting at is many of us are on mobile. No way to manipulate upload size. So screenshots will be in full resolution, without using some kind of 3rd party app.

And for those of us on mobile uploading photographs, rather than screenshots, it's even worse. Most smartphone cameras these days are 40-50 megapixels or more, with no interface here to reduce that size. Other forums I've been on have offered a tool to reduce file quality. That doesn't seem to exist on this site, so it'll require a third party app. I've literally never accessed this site from a pc. So the tools/interface might very well be different there.

But I also don't have any slowness on this site. That's where gigabit internet speed is helpful. I've never noticed any lag here.
Many of us can't achieve the endless speed and bandwidth of half the country. Gigabit is a dream in much of the USA, sad to say.

Anyway - how the heck big are your screen shots? (file size, that is)
I did a screenshot from my LG phone of the JSCAN screen I was on - 130K and Google even allows you to crop, rotate and so on right on the phone. So I could make the size of the file smaller and the display smaller as well.
130K is nuttin'

Here's a full-rez screen shot from my phone today - untrimmed, uncropped, as taken - 130k - it isn't going to slow anything down.
Jeep Gladiator What is an unpopular opinion you have in the Jeep community? 2020-JT-misfires_20220713

Sponsored

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
Anyway - how the heck big are your screen shots? (file size, that is)
I did a screenshot from my LG phone of the JSCAN screen I was on - 130K and Google even allows you to crop, rotate and so on right on the phone. So I could make the size of the file smaller and the display smaller as well.
130K is nuttin'

Here's a full-rez screen shot from my phone today - untrimmed, uncropped, as taken - 130k - it isn't going to slow anything down.
Jeep Gladiator What is an unpopular opinion you have in the Jeep community? 2020-JT-misfires_20220713
Just 500-600kb usually. I understand you on the speed. It's recent here, and only because I'm in town. And once I leave home, 3g is slow (and shutting down), 4g is ok when it works, and 5g is spotty at best.

endurojeep

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 jeep wrangler unlimited sport
Vehicle Showcase
The first question after buying your Jeep shouldn't be what to name it or what "mods" should you add.

Additionally naming your Jeep is stupid. It's not a boat
Yeah it kind of is when a Rubicon is over 5000 lbs in a midsize truck in stock form. Sall land yacht

endurojeep

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 jeep wrangler unlimited sport
Vehicle Showcase
Utility aside I love the contrast the most - especially the fenders. It's just a very Jeep thing to me growing up loving the YJ and TJ.
Really because all TJ's and Yj's had body colored fenders and most had black flares
Sponsored