First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT 2005 TJ 2003 F250
Occupation
Retired
Glad you got that taken care of. Have to wonder how many people the first dealer has taken advantage of.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Yeaaa my mind is blown. I can’t believe that it was the batteries. I can’t believe the difference in the diagnostic. My mind is blown. I told them I appreciated them very much. My faith is restored. Not with original dealership though. Never going back
Make sure you complete a survey for this second dealership - seems like they deserve a bunch of 10s there.

OP
OP
johnes48

johnes48

First Name
Johnerick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
I was blown away at this situation - I always - always - diagnose before assuming anything.
First find out what the ROOT of the problem is, THEN find the cause of that - the second shop did just that. They performed BASIC troubleshooting 101. Is the alternator charging - and you test that at the alternator (depending on the system).
I had a MIL light come on a week after I put the 4.0 in my little car. I looked at the volt meter (it's got the rally pack gauges and console) and the voltage was low. No wonder the PCM was hollering. They don't like low voltages.
I checked and gee, the alternator seemed to be working. So I checked basic stuff. It had two 60 amp fuses handling the charging system. Replaced one of the fuses and that was that.
It hasn't blown since - so either it was ready to go (PCM, PDC, engine and harness came from a very wrecked Jeep - MAYBE the accident caused an issue) or I did something during the process of marrying the Jeep wiring harnesses into my original Eagle harnesses, who knows. But I systematically went through troubleshooting processes. That's what the first dealer should have done. You had to have it jumped -why? Those batteries will run a vehicle for a while if good. So test the batteries.
OK, it's not charging - check fuses, check as per their service procedures for these systems (smart alternators) - don't look at it and say yuk, this is messy, obviously this is abused.
Apparently your second dealership hires people capable of looking beyond dirt and doing real honest-to-goodness TROUBLESHOOTING and diagnosis.
I was too! What was frustrating me the most was the fact that it felt like they never actually ran a diagnostic. I dropped the truck off and within 30 minutes had a call from service rep telling me he suspected water damage. The next day, almost as soon as they opened, they called me to confirm it was water damage. It seemed fast/rushed to me.

The second shop definitely took their time to identify the actual issue without making assumptions. They listened to me when they asked what was wrong with it and went from there. AND they worked quick to solve the issue. I'll never go back to the first dealership. The second one has my business forever. They fixed my truck and saved me from paying for repairs that did not have to be made.

OP
OP
johnes48

johnes48

First Name
Johnerick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Glad it got resolved, but just goes to show how terrible Jeep service is, I would dread having to take my JT in for service or warranty work, just such a gamble, so many horror stories similar to this.
I've always been hesitant to take cars in for work, but I figured since it was new and under warranty, it wouldn't have been an issue. Boy was I wrong lol

Sponsored

OP
OP
johnes48

johnes48

First Name
Johnerick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m so glad this was resolved for you but this was outrageous. I also live in Florida and I will never go to that fucking stealership.
Me too! Yea, don't go to that dealership. They'll take your money and misdiagnose vehicle issue and then will take more money when they actually fix what's wrong with vehicle.

OP
OP
johnes48

johnes48

First Name
Johnerick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Glad you got that taken care of. Have to wonder how many people the first dealer has taken advantage of.
They would've taken advantage of me had ya'll not recommend taking it to another service center. I was initially going to just pay for the work if they did not honor warranty

OP
OP
johnes48

johnes48

First Name
Johnerick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am glad for your outcome. Also glad you stood your ground when you told them you did not drive through water. It has to feel good knowing you were right.
It definitely feels good. Was frustrating having them tell me I was screwed because of something that did not happen

OP
OP
johnes48

johnes48

First Name
Johnerick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Glad to hear it! I'd be doing the following:

1. Request a service survey from BOTH dealers, and be completely honest (if they don't send them)
2. Find the Owner and General Manager's email addresses from the shit dealer, and send them a nice email explaining the situation and resolution. They're probably a sales driven dealer, that doesn't value a customer after they sell them something, but there's a saying I've heard a couple of general managers use: "The Sales Department gets us the customers, and the Service Department helps us keep them (or lose them)."
3. Email Jeep Corporate Headquarters and customer service, and let them know exactly what happened, along with any out of pocket expenses lost work time you incurred.
4. Go back to the second dealer for your next oil change.

That's just me, though. Again, congrats on getting your truck back!
I'm going to do surveys during lunch. I do plan on contacting the first dealership, as well as Jeep Cares. It's still blowing my mind that they wanted to swap out alternator and all that it was just the batteries. If I can, I'm going to try and get my warranty to cover the diagnostic fee I paid at the first dealership. It should've been covered. And yes, I will always be going back to the second dealership. Oddly enough, the other 2 Jeeps I've owned were purchased there. I only went to the first crappy dealer because that's where I got my JT from. Thank you!

Sponsored

theMantheLegend

Banned
Banned
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jeep gladiator willys
Occupation
Software developer
Go to a different dealer. And deny from now on you crossed deep water. Unless you sank the jeep water wouldn't have hit the alternator. Plus these alternators can take water on. I've don't deep crossings.

I want to fill all of you in on a secret. These are built pretty close to me in Ohio. The neighborhood... let's say it's "really" nice and has a lot of "good people" in it.

Having said that it's a craphole and jeep pays the "best" people to work their and build these. I wouldn't be surprised to find something not installed appropriately that once wet, caused a short.

Summitsearcher

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Stingrey JTR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I could be a XXXXXXXX and say they knew I didn't need such warning .... but won't HAHAHA
Just kidding.
I do wonder, though - was that ADDED to later builds? Maybe starting in January 2020? Mine is a November 2019 build and maybe they had people putting the nozzle of their gas powered pressure washer into things. I know mine will strip paint and rip the grain out of wood with the red nozzle on the wand. No way I'd ever let that red nozzle near my truck. But then - we can't speak for others, can we?

I agree - if I was there, my car hauler would have proudly hauled the truck to another dealer.

All puns and joking and such aside - I do hope for the best result for the owner of the truck in question. The ads show these things going where I'd not even want to wade - but then "you got it wet, no warranty for you!"

I think they misnamed these - they are the new Gremlin -

Mines a 21 so you could be right

Thecuse

First Name
cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator sport
Occupation
Military
So my JT did this on Friday and replaced both batteries, got it to start and same message, I was able to get it home. I've seen a lot of people had this issue with the JL and no one seems to know the exact cause of it, getting it towed to the dealership tomorrow. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

OP
OP
johnes48

johnes48

First Name
Johnerick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So my JT did this on Friday and replaced both batteries, got it to start and same message, I was able to get it home. I've seen a lot of people had this issue with the JL and no one seems to know the exact cause of it, getting it towed to the dealership tomorrow. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I couldn't tell you what caused my issue but I can tell you that it was a bad wire related to both batteries. The second dealership I took it to replaced this wire and the two batteries. I'd have to look at the paperwork to see the exact verbage on it.

sdk131

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow - Sarge Green
Reading this entire thread just now...and so glad it is resolved for OP. I could not agree more with the posts saying "boy we are all in trouble".....as I too have never been on more than dirt roads with a few small puddles.......and it is absolutely filthy under my hood. Purchased in February of 2021 and just rolled over 5,000 mies. I actually even posted awhile back about how the engine bay on my jeep was dirtier than that on other vegicles I've had that were 5-10 years old. It's just got to be due to the fact there is no plastic underbelly pan, along with the way that air (and dirt/rain/dust/etc) flow in through the radiator/front area.
Sponsored