Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
Just got this a few weeks ago. Thought it had to do with the guardian subscription till I opened it today.

Jeep Gladiator $150 for a map update?? Screenshot 2023-03-12 at 08.29.58

Is this for real? 150 bucks for a map update? The thing isn't even a year old! How often do they release updates and are they even worth it? Roads in my area probably haven't changed in 20 years. Maybe it's more appropriate for those in big cities?
Sponsored

Timoleon

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Tech
Yeah, no. I am sure the updates cost a lot to do, but I will leave it up to services I already use on my phone. I have a Magellan as a back up when I get in those areas where there is no cell service (which happens a lot).

azmojave

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge Green Mojave
Occupation
Retired Trucker. Current Sawyer

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The only time I use my map is to get an idea where something is when I'm already using google maps for something else.

It's not worth much to me. I'm happy to roll the dice that the map data is a couple of years old.

RatZer0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JT
Occupation
Manufacturing Stellantis
Not sure I've used the stock Nav system, Satellite/FM radio in nearly two years since I got the wireless Android Auto set up. Once I start the JT, Android Auto replaces my screen and it's all I need.

Sponsored

OP
OP
chorky

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
I also use my phone for street navigation - Just surprised this is even a thing when there are so many applications offering free map's for street use.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I also use my phone for street navigation - Just surprised this is even a thing when there are so many applications offering free map's for street use.
Sign up for notifications from the map update website. It periodically goes on sale for $99. The map update included a Uconnect update when I ordered it. I would suggest doing it every two years. I bought in July 2019 and ordered the map update on sale in August 2021. I'll be watching for another sale this fall.

Bananaman

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Green Sport S JTRD
Occupation
Cabinet maker
I'm old school. I have a Garmin GPS with lifetime free updates. I think they come out every 6 months or so, but I only update every year or so. Never was fond of the idea of a built in GPS. Tech changes to fast for something permanent like that.

FloridaMan655321

First Name
Lieutenant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 1973 F-100 - both manual
Occupation
Lieutenant (not really)
This is one reason why I didn’t find the 8.4” screen worth the money. I knew they would want money for map updates. I am fine using Apple Maps/CarPlay

Sponsored

Barnaby’sdad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Stuff
Yeah, I’d pass on it at that price too. I think I’ve used the navigation system at most 2-3 times. It works fine, but where I run everything through my phone (Apple car play), I just don’t think to use the factory nav system.

$55K for an oversized four-wheeler and they want $150 for a nav update? 🤣 Ooh, why don’t I pay so I can start my heep via an app, while I’m at it? 🤣

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Sign up for notifications from the map update website. It periodically goes on sale for $99. The map update included a Uconnect update when I ordered it. I would suggest doing it every two years. I bought in July 2019 and ordered the map update on sale in August 2021. I'll be watching for another sale this fall.
When I had the '13 Grand Cherokee. I would get update notices about every 2 years. Listed for $149.00, sale price was $99.00. That radio was a bitch to update. Sometimes the update would wipe clean my addresses that I had stored in it.

OP
OP
chorky

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
Is it just the maps that update or is it other stuff too? I'm not inclined to pay that much for an update except maybe every several years since roads here just don't change that fast and I rarely go to the city.

But, if other operational things are also updated that might be a different story.

DBravo

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland, 2021 Jeep JL Sahara
This is one reason why I didn’t find the 8.4” screen worth the money. I knew they would want money for map updates. I am fine using Apple Maps/CarPlay
I use apple maps/carplay on my 8.4" screen and the Premium JBL sound is a bonus.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Is it just the maps that update or is it other stuff too? I'm not inclined to pay that much for an update except maybe every several years since roads here just don't change that fast and I rarely go to the city.

But, if other operational things are also updated that might be a different story.
When I ordered the update, I had to provide the Uconnect version information. The map update can only be installed on the latest Uconnect software version. If you don't have the latest, it is included as a separate update to install before the map update. If not done in the correct order, it will brick the head unit.

I ordered primarily to get the Uconnect update. I don't use the NAV very often. I use Android Auto and Google maps.
Sponsored