Sponsored

$2000 upcharge out of the blue for mojave near me....

jcarbs

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator, 2021 Tahoe
That dealer has 7 on the lot ranging from 54- 57 on the Mo-haves
Yeah but what does the dealer add to the bottom line - anti theft, helium for the tires, wheel locks, etc. I went to one dealer in the Houston area and his additions totaled almost $6500. I laughed and left, purchasing my Gladiator elsewhere.
Sponsored

Matts4313

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Max Tow
When wages have remained relatively stagnant, inflation makes everything more expensive.
Income has gone up from $28k in 1990 to $68k in 2020 - 243% total. Which out paces the vehicles (Honda $10.3 => $19.7, 90% increase).

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
Income has gone up from $28k in 1990 to $68k in 2020 - 243% total. Which out paces the vehicles (Honda $10.3 => $19.7, 90% increase).
Jeep Gladiator $2000 upcharge out of the blue for mojave near me.... {filename}

Inflation is... controversial.

Of course, IPUMS makes an adjustment easy. They provide simple to use charts to adjust survey numbers for CPI. That part is fine, and the math is easy enough.

Inflation is meant to be one number summarizing the aggregate change in cost of a basket of goods over time. It – by definition – won't apply to every person equally. It follows, then, that it won't apply to every income bracket equally. Heck, just picking the right inflation adjustment is controversial.

The upper percentiles – comprised of people who generally save more money – are affected less by inflation than the middle of the curve (in fact, if they are investors they may come out on top).

Of course, any illustrative example is also a generalization and a dodge. For example, since the 1980s people consuming more education and medical care experience more "inflation" than others.

We need to account for inflation somehow. And no, there isn't a fair way to do it across the spectrum. Just know that the math is fuzzy.
When you look at the tables, only in the past 5-6 years have wages bumped up. Throughout the 2000-2010s they remained pretty close. 2000 = $50k, 2010 = $51k.

https://dqydj.com/individual-income-by-year/

Nhemisis

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Jeep Sales
Vehicle Showcase
OP - Here's the deal - you want to buy an iPhone. They're $999. You go to the nearest store, say BestBuy. Their iPhone is $1,299. It's totally fine if you want THAT iPhone and you want it RIGHT NOW. But just like you'd have the ability to get AN iPhone for the $999 list price, you can do the same with a Mojave. Up to you whether the time and effort is worthwhile, but you didn't miss out on anything.

The rest of my replies are snarky because, my gosh, the negativity in this thread...

Wanna bet? I'd be happy to escrow cash against your never-in-automotive-industry-history-five-year-long-industry-wide-MSRP-is-the-floor side of the wager.

You build your Rubicon aftermarket to Mojave spec and I'll build my Mojave to Rubicon spec. Care to guess who'll have to spend more? As for the resale value, I'd say we can all mostly agree that you're making a claim supported by zero evidence whatsoever, no? Totally fine to prefer Rubicon btw, my wife does too, so no disrespect. But there's nothing objective or obvious about favoring one versus the other.

There's plenty of incentive to sell cheap. Daniel Gupton told me he got 55 customer ordered Jeeps in in the last 24 hours. That's a lot more profit than any one seller at the $2k markup dealer in the OP likely generated. Auto sales people have such short memories, or they claim to to justify gouging when they can. After all most of them will be at another dealer or a different industry in a few years. FWIW Daniel's name is on the building so I factor that into my assessment of his choices.

Every one of those statements is wrong or exaggerated. I'd be somewhat surprised if you could point to even ONE April Gladiator firm order not yet started, though perhaps some are out there. There's tons of recent production though of July orders. And, five minutes of poking around here would show you numerous options for good deals, and that's WITH the shortages still in place. If your dealer is opting to sell on a low-volume high-margins model good for them, but other models work just fine, despite whatever your dealer may claim is the "new normal."
ken garff west valley cjdr is the largest volume dealer in UT and the business center so…. Low volume?
I’m not saying markup is justified and we don’t do it I’m just saying pricing way below invoice isn’t practical. There’s no factory kick back or incentives lately so I question how these dealers are doing it

sunrise089

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Higher Ed
ken garff west valley cjdr is the largest volume dealer in UT and the business center so…. Low volume?
How many new Wranglers + Gladiators did you move this past week? I'm sure you're right about your volume levels in normal times, but it's hard for me to reconcile "huge shortages so no need to discount" with "no one moves more product than us."

I’m not saying markup is justified and we don’t do it I’m just saying pricing way below invoice isn’t practical. There’s no factory kick back or incentives lately so I question how these dealers are doing it
I'm sure you're talking in good faith, but I think you have bad information. There are something like 6 well-known big-discount dealers. Most of them don't deal with too many trades. How do you think they're making money? I agree their business model clearly isn't what most dealers WANT to do, and I trust you that your dealer is making a different model work, and that's fine. But unless you think Gupton, etc., is literally operating to lose money than I think you're mistaken about kickbacks, etc.

You also said earlier your April orders haven't started being built yet. Do you mean sold customer orders there or do you mean your orders of unsold inventory to go on the lot?

Sponsored

Tuggernuts

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Occupation
Truck driver
My wife loves Subaru’s. Specifically the Outback. We went down to buy an Outback Wilderness which had a msrp of $39,850 but the dealer pulled the “Market adjustment” of $3500. I told him that I would write a check or finance, whatever he preferred, for the Msrp price plus legitimate fees and not a penny more. He went and got the asshole sales manager who came out and told me no deal. I turned around and left and went to the next closest dealer and bought my wife her 2nd choice, a Crosstrek for msrp. Saved me $15k. Weird times.

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
This whole situation is just like toilet paper last year.

People hear there is a possibility of a shortage and they have to have it NOW.

People that didn't even think of buying a new vehicle hear about a shortage of new vehicles and right THEN they have to have a new vehicle.

The market base in the U.S.A. is still a capitalist market, has nothing to do with dealership sales models and everything to do with supply and demand. The supply is low, not the dealership's problem, demand is HIGH, that is a dealership problem. So when you're low on product and have no idea when restock is going to happen and demand is high, prices go up.

The salesman who sold me my JT keeps emailing me, his highest offer is what the MSRP was on the window sticker when I bought new. I bought well below that number. Problem is, his offer is trade-in value and he has nothing for me to trade for. I told him when he had a hard buy offer in that neighborhood I might be interested.

punk'n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R.I.P '20 Overland (totaled) Welcome home '21 Rubi
As I've mentioned in other threads, my 2020 Overland was recently declared a total flood loss. I weighed my options of waiting to buy a replacement and renting a car (would be very costly), buying a beater and ordering my new JT (could be costly depending on possible repair costs/trade in value when new JT comes in) and biting the bullet and finding one on the lot (COVID/Chip/supply issues causing prices to rise).

I think there are different issues for different people that are currently buying cars such as time constraints as well as regional availability issues. In my case, they estimated 8-10K vehicles were a total loss in a 1 day period in my area (there were recovery vehicles/tow trucks from multiple states removing flooded cars as there wasn't enough tow operators in our state to remove them all). Granted not all were new vehicles, not all were Jeeps and not all will be replaced. But, that certainly crossed my mind when I was now in the situation of needing a daily driver.

As I searched for a replacement JT, I found most dealers only had 1-3 on the lot and that was for all trims. Some had none. The dealer I bought mine from had 1 Overland, 1 Willys and 1 Rubicon and they are one of the larger dealers around. They also had USED cars in the dealer showroom. That was something I had never seen before, but was told that their new inventory was so low they were propping things up with used. Luckily, I did get some off MSRP but not much.

I should note that I searched inventory for a few days and went to several dealers both in and out of state looking for a replacement. I went during normal daytime hours and the dealers I went to were mobbed. I had an appointment at one and still waited in line to see a salesman. I have never seen that before.

The good news for me at least is that it looks like COVID/chip shortage will be helpful in my insurance claim as the pricing for used cars is way up (as everyone knows). So, I'm hoping this helps with my claim valuation.

So what value does my experience add? I don't know. But, I thought I'd share it anyways. :giggle:

Nhemisis

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Jeep Sales
Vehicle Showcase
How many new Wranglers + Gladiators did you move this past week? I'm sure you're right about your volume levels in normal times, but it's hard for me to reconcile "huge shortages so no need to discount" with "no one moves more product than us."

we haven’t got a new wrangler on our lot for over a month, when inventory was normal through we move 40-50 in a month

I'm sure you're talking in good faith, but I think you have bad information. There are something like 6 well-known big-discount dealers. Most of them don't deal with too many trades. How do you think they're making money? I agree their business model clearly isn't what most dealers WANT to do, and I trust you that your dealer is making a different model work, and that's fine. But unless you think Gupton, etc., is literally operating to lose money than I think you're mistaken about kickbacks, etc.

You also said earlier your April orders haven't started being built yet. Do you mean sold customer orders there or do you mean your orders of unsold inventory to go on the lot?
yes they are sold orders just inventory orders!

jasunto

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Technical Implementation Engineer
Saw a TRX with a $25k add on yesterday at the dealership. Line item was “Market adjustment” LOL.

Sponsored

bac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
Those days are sadly over. I work at a Jeep dealer and our factory orders on gladiators from April aren't even started yet... The shortage is bad and the days of a good deal are gone
Your orders may be stuck but that was not true across the board this summer. I ordered May 27 and picked up my Mojave June 28. Perhaps I benefited from Jeep prioritizing the more expensive packages.

And it could be that everything is stalled now

hillla

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Data Science
Either way though I couldn't imagine spending 61k on a Mojave. Personally.
Yeah. But I'd rather have the extra off road goodies for the same price. Plus, regardless I think we can all mostly agree that Rubicons can pull a higher price and resale value than any other trim.

Actually Rubicon is better than Mojave at one thing - Rock Climbing. Mojave is better on asphalt road and off-road running (sans rock climbing). Personal preference I guess, and apparently you do a *lot* of rock climbing, but in fairness to the forum Mojave has some strong advantages too it just depends on whether you are a rock climber or you like to offroad over 1 MPH. I don't think we know about resale comparisons yet given Mojave is a 2021+ trim. I appreciate that you love your Rubicon and you should, please just don't make blanket statements that are unfounded. Mojave is preferred over Rubicon in every review I have ever read for the majority of drivers - again, I'm sure you rock climb every weekend so I get the bias. Cheers.

Sponsored