2020 Gladiator Mojave Window Sticker and Hands-On Comparison vs Rubicon

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
Regarding safety features, side curtain air bags are now standard. They were optional, and seldom found on the lots, with JKs.
Sponsored

guntrust

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
LawNews.TV
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
something legal
Super Nice ! I am so glad I bought my manual Rubicon at the end of last summer, otherwise, living on the west coast, I would be debating over the Rubicon or Mojave now... Really a tough decision for us west coasters. I would like to see the Mojave run at Oceano Dunes (Pismo Beach) --- I hit the bump stops on the Rubicon front suspension a couple of times in the Dunes... I bet the Mojave would have passed me. Super cool truck ---- but, front lockers and sway bar disconnect keep me in the Rubicon. I never realized how important sway bar disconnect is ---- until I saw for myself the really impressive articulation that the Gladiator Rubicon can accomplish in tough dirt trails...
They've shut the entire beach now to vehicles. I took mine on hardpack, but didn't want to take a chance in the Dunes. Glad to hear it worked well.

guntrust

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
LawNews.TV
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
something legal
Can't we just replace Rubicon shocks with 2.5" Fox shocks? What would be required, is that possible?

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKU Rubicon HR, 2017 Cherokee, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Retired Peace Officer
The Mojave frame differences
Mohave Frame.png

Sponsored

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKU Rubicon HR, 2017 Cherokee, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Retired Peace Officer
I just built a Mohave online and was disappointed that if you delete the LED light option that you can't get the trail cam. It came in at $50,640 without those two options I wanted. I can however get aftermarket LEDs and a front camera for less than the $1500 the factory wants so no big deal.

The Gladiator is not a rock crawling machine even in the Rubicon model, the wheel base is too long. In my nearly 50 years of Jeeping, I have rarely used my front locker (two or three times) and as for the electronic sway bar disco, they are fine until they go bad and you find out that the parts aren't available to fix. I'll take the old school manual disco's any day. In fact, I replaced the sway bars on my 2016 Rubi with HD Helwig Off Road ones both front and back. Sold the auto disco one to a Rubi owner whose original one went south and could not be fixed. One the Mojave I'd probably go with the Currie Anti Rock sway bar.

One thing I noticed when I was building my Mojave is that it seems as if the 8.4 nav system and premium sound was already included. I think it ws because I had picked the trail cam but even with the trail cam removed, it still showed as included. Would love the have the body color top but not for $1000. They still are not offering the integrated trailer brake controller on the tow package, you can buy it from the dealer for $275 and it mounts where the 12v plug is to the left of the power window controls.

So for chits and giggles I went in and built a Gladiator S with the same options I chose on the Mojave.and it came in at $44,110. I could not get everything like the proximity unlock and then I had to figure out what it would cost to add Fox Shocks, get the frame welded up to make it stronger, rear locker and I was within 2K of the cost of the Mojave, and then what would the hood everyone seems to want cost? Considering the Mojave has thicker axle tubes and a few more goodies the S does not have, I feel feature for feature, the Mohave really isn't that much more expensive than a similarly equipped S model.

Still, I'm not ready to pull the trigger yet until Jeep offers the diesel. If I'm going to spend $55 (MSRP on an eco diesel JT Mojave)) on a new truck, it needs to be a diesel. If I didn't want to wait for the Gladiator, I could buy a new Ram eco diesel for for an MSRP of $5K less with more discounts and incentives than the JT. But I am a Jeep guy since 1972 so I'll wait and end up paying $10K too much for the JT Mojave ;-)

Mojave.jpg

Mojave.jpg

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
They've shut the entire beach now to vehicles. I took mine on hardpack, but didn't want to take a chance in the Dunes. Glad to hear it worked well.
That's sad to have shut down the beach

TheITGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E, 2021 Toyota Rav4 Limit
what about the under carriage. Does it come with all the rock sliders underneath?
It comes with "sand sliders" standard, but you can upgrade to Mopar Performance rock sliders for $1k.

tampahoosier

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Diesel Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cybersecurity - Cyber Intelligence
Vehicle Showcase
It comes with "sand sliders" standard, but you can upgrade to Mopar Performance rock sliders for $1k.
Just some clarification here... there are no sliders behind the rear wheels. This is where you’re probably going to want them too considering the break over angle with the overhang. You would have to purchase those
As for the 1k upgrade to the rock sliders, they are essentially the rubicon sliders in that they are just as thick and solid. They have all the protection and ruggedness of the rubicon sliders, but the difference is they stick out so that you can use them as a “step” into the truck, where as the rubicon sliders don’t.

The rear sliders are about $550 bucks, and I thought I read that they require a little cutting/trimming to install as well. They are necessity in my opinion if you’ll be off-roading. That’s just my opinion of course so you can say screw you if you want!!

Sponsored

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
I just built a Mohave online and was disappointed that if you delete the LED light option that you can't get the trail cam. It came in at $50,640 without those two options I wanted. I can however get aftermarket LEDs and a front camera for less than the $1500 the factory wants so no big deal.

The Gladiator is not a rock crawling machine even in the Rubicon model, the wheel base is too long. In my nearly 50 years of Jeeping, I have rarely used my front locker (two or three times) and as for the electronic sway bar disco, they are fine until they go bad and you find out that the parts aren't available to fix. I'll take the old school manual disco's any day. In fact, I replaced the sway bars on my 2016 Rubi with HD Helwig Off Road ones both front and back. Sold the auto disco one to a Rubi owner whose original one went south and could not be fixed. One the Mojave I'd probably go with the Currie Anti Rock sway bar....
Mojave.jpg

Well I don’t have 50 years of experience off-roading but do have a few!

I agree the Gladiator IS NOT A ROCK CRAWLER. To try and make it so is just stupid IMHO when you could get a JL and be far more capable.
I’m building mine as a long range over lander and trying to mimic the 79 Series LC that I have quite a bit of experience with (but can’t get here in the US). I have locked both axles several times and been dam glad I had the capability.

Also the additional payload over the Mojave is always a plus.

Different strokes for different folks I guess...

Last edited:

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
Well I don’t have 50 years of experience off-roading but do have a few!

I agree the Gladiator IS NOT A ROCK CRAWLER. To try and make it so is just stupid IMHO when you could get a JL and be far more capable.
I’m building mine and a long range over lander and trying to mimic the 79 Series LC that I have quite a bit of experience with (but can’t get here in the US). I have locked both axles several times and been dam glad I had the capability.

Also the additional payload over the Mojave is always a plus.

Different strokes for different folks I guess...
I have also had many 4WD. This is my first with an auto sway bar disconnect and front lockers, and I really, really like them so far. Nobody said the Gladiator was the "best" rock crawler like the JL, but, there there are many "lines" you can take off road, and making your Gladiator a "better" rock crawler than stock may be a worthwhile endeavor for some people that are OK with the JT length compromise and taking the "easier line" --- like me. I see the Rubicon option on the Gladiator as necessary for many people like me.

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
Lockers for dummies... What are the pros and cons? I simply don't know...

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
Lockers for dummies... What are the pros and cons? I simply don't know...

Others can provide a more thorough answer but in brief:

1. A locked axle provides equal power to both wheels at the same time providing dramatically increased traction.
2. A locked front axle is considerably harder to turn and should only be used in loose conditions like mud, very loose sand etc. otherwise you will wear out components and possibly break something leaving you in deep $hit.
Sponsored