Sponsored

2020 Jeep GLADIATOR Pickup (JT) Model Name Leaked on FCA Media Site!

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
Usually just below the summit! 14k feet :fist bump:

2015er

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4
If not "Gladiator" then I totally agree. Feels like they are working too hard to fit in some nostalgia into the name. And names referencing Native Americans will likely be phased out.

With all that said, up to me I'd have recommended "Jeep Overland" as the JT's marketing name and kill off all future trim packages from using that name.

Then utilize trim package names like "Renegade" (in lieu of "Sport"), "Sahara", and "Rubicon" saving "Gladiator" for some later special release (similar to "Moab").

To me "Gladiator" sounds perfect for a super hard-core off-road limited edition model with 35" tires, 2-3" lift, winch-enabled, bead lock rims, skid plating, twin or triple stick transfer case...and a couple of unique options like different front end fenders/hood/grille (like the Crew Chief concept), bed rack, and an option to order a factory aluminum flatbed tray (think Alucab or one of the other Aussie or South African off-road companies).

Taking above naming input into account you'd have these options for model + trim package:

Overland Renegade
Overland Sahara
Overland Rubicon
Overland Gladiator

Instead of this clunkiness:

Gladiator Sport
Gladiator Overland
Gladiator Rubicon

Maybe just me but the first 4 work together MUCH better than the last 3 name combinations.
Overland in the Jeep vernacular is a trim level and not a model name...

laffman

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Jeep CJ-8 Scrambler, 1990 Jeep YJ Wrangler Laredo, 2010 Jeep JK Wrangler Islander
Vehicle Showcase
Overland in the Jeep vernacular is a trim level and not a model name...
While Overland is a trim level, Overlander was a Jeep model. It was the export version of the CJ-8.

674c6b9ab591b4a8191d1350382ca159.jpg

Sponsored

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2017 JKU, 2022 JTRD ordered.
While Overland is a trim level, Overlander was a Jeep model. It was the export version of the CJ-8.

674c6b9ab591b4a8191d1350382ca159.jpg
If internet forums existed then, there would have been many arguments and meme wars over the long wheel base of that thing!

firemedic2714

First Name
Scotty P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JT Rubicon, 19 Genesis G70, 1972 Ford LTD coupe
Occupation
Firefighter / Paramedic
Vehicle Showcase
Or climbing rocks. As someone that hikes a lot Scrambling is climbing without ropes.
Ohhh.... That makes more sense. If that's what it's named after, I rescind my last comment. The problem is, like me, the other average Joe's probably won't get the real reason behind Scrambler, but they know what Gladiator is associated with.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
You know, the Jeep Spartan would have been a great name for the JT.

Or just Jeep Gator

Or the Jeep Phalanx

Jeep Crusher?

Jeep Traveler?

Jeep Elemental?

Jeep Highground?