Sponsored

What do I need to go off road the first time?

OP
OP
BringTheLightnin

BringTheLightnin

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport
Skip the lunchbox lockers, waste of money in my opinion. In the front you want selectable locker or a good LSD, I'm partial to the Detroit Truetrac if going LSD. A full time locker in the front axle will make it harder to steer, especially when the ground gets slick, not to mention sidehill performance.

The BLD and LSD combo will get you around pretty decent for awhile. If you get bit hard-core by the rock bug then lockers will be wanted. Other wise, most of the time a LSD is just fine. My last few rigs were open or LSD, my Rubicon is the first with lockers and I've gone most places I wanted in the past. May of winches a few times, but hey.
Do they make an LSD for the front? I searched around and I think I found one by Eaton but I wasn't sure If it was rear only
Sponsored

AmishMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 56 Coronet, 65 Dune Buggy,
Occupation
Whipping boy
Other than control arms and differential skids, what else? Doesn't the sport have skids already?
Yes to the LCA skids. No on the diff skids, they reduce ground clearance, if anything I would go with diff covers.
Look for take off Rubicon skids, I can attest to their usefulness! And have a can of black paint ready for touch ups when you get home.

Artsifrtsi

First Name
Jude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2005 Wrangler X
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Resident Pompous A-Hole
Awesome. Thank you everyone. Definitely gave me more confidence to go in without spending thousands on recovery and armor.
I'm definitely going to get an air down kit I found on iron man 4x4 and some recovery straps.

I'll definitely look for some groups to find people to go with.

does anyone know how well the stock steps hold up on these vehicles? I never thought of taking them off before heading out. Great idea. Thanks!
If you are going to air down, you'll need a compressor to air back up... I like the automatic deflators, their only drawback is setting them the first time. For recovery, get a couple soft shackles along with your recover strap (DO NOT get straps with hooks!), be sure to carry a hitch pin to use as well (loop strap/soft shackle around pin in the receiver).

I ditched the stock steps, and went with Rubicon sliders. I hardly ever used the steps, and most times they would just get my legs/pants dirty getting in and out of the truck. The Rubicon sliders are very well made, conform to the curves of the body, and stout... their only real failure is not a lot of side protection.

I have been to Uhwarrie, I would say just roll around the park often to familiarize yourself with the truck. MOST of the trails can be done in 2wd, but there are a few trails that will severely challenge you.

As others have stated, don't go out alone. If you do go out alone, only do it at an area like Uhwarrie that has a lot of traffic... but still not advisable. (and stay to easy trails when alone)

49Gramps

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Retired Fire & EMS Dispatcher
Other than control arms and differential skids, what else? Doesn't the sport have skids already?
Not sure what the Sport has, but I know the skids on my Overland didn't seem to be much more than sheet metal or cover up some of the vulnerable parts. You might want to crawl under there to see just what's there now, paying attention to the oil pan, exhaust crossover pipe, gas tank and transmission.

Sponsored

Artsifrtsi

First Name
Jude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2005 Wrangler X
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Resident Pompous A-Hole
Not sure what the Sport has, but I know the skids on my Overland didn't seem to be much more than sheet metal or cover up some of the vulnerable parts. You might want to crawl under there to see just what's there now, paying attention to the oil pan, exhaust crossover pipe, gas tank and transmission.
I've pivoted my Overland around on those stock plates a few times, and have not had issues. Most parts under the truck are tucked up and protected by the frame... Yes, slide under the Jeep so you know where everything is, this will help you make better line decisions to avoid crunching something.

drewcnit

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Sport S, Bright White
Occupation
IT Geek and Data Nerd
I forgot to say, leave your ego at home.
Wise is the man who can drive it home!
Yeah and it officially sucks when you do the ride of shame getting pulled down the mountain...

Sport skids are next to nothing honestly, get you a decent engine/transmission skid at the minimum, it will keep tree branches from jumping up and hitting your transmission lines... Ask me how I know and I'll show you the bill from a new transmission...

AmishMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 56 Coronet, 65 Dune Buggy,
Occupation
Whipping boy
For recovery, get a couple soft shackles along with your recover strap (DO NOT get straps with hooks!), be sure to carry a hitch pin to use as well (loop strap/soft shackle around pin in the receiver).
Soft shackles are beautiful! Also remember that the force needed to pull you out is exponentially greater than the weight of the truck.
I have never used the hitch pin to pull anything, but DO NOT use a trailer ball! Spend the $50 on a off road hitch with a D ring. It may save your life.

RudeJeepin

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Do they make an LSD for the front? I searched around and I think I found one by Eaton but I wasn't sure If it was rear only
Not for sure about this. But read through this thread, I haven't read the whole thing. https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/truetrac-finally-released-for-the-jl.105309/ In my opinion you want a TrueTrac LSD cause it doesn't use clutches so no wear. My understanding is the clutch packs will wear even in 2wd because Jeep uses an axle disconnect, which has one side spinning all the time.
I've used Truetracs in other rigs and loved the performance.

carmigo

First Name
Carmigo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Occupation
We help sellers get multiple offer for their car in as little as one business day.
Hi everyone. So I recently bought a Sport S about 3 weeks ago with 20k miles on it. Already has Mopar 2" lift and 35" tires. I've already ordered gears and they are being installed later this month as the stock 3.73s are just driving me crazy on the highway. I live in NC and plan to take it to Uwharrie (I think that's how you spell it) and going to TN later in February after the gears are broken in.

What I was wondering is do I need to invest in rock rails or a winch before taking it anywhere? I don't plan on going anywhere really hardcore just yet as the last time I went off roading was about 10 years ago with an old Dodge Ram 1500. I just didn't want to destroy the side of my new Jeep with the plastic running boards that came on it and I don't know anyone around to go with so getting stuck and not having a winch or something to get unstuck would be very bad.

Thanks in advance!
We suggest you take care of some winter safety things first just to make sure you and your car are prepared. We wrote a blog post on it if you want to skim it, but in general just make sure your car is nature ready and that you have an emergency kit.

https://www.carmigo.io/2022/12/14/how-to-take-care-of-your-car-this-winter-6-tips/

Sponsored

JRobes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S Max Tow, 2004 WJ Overland
Occupation
Enginerd
As far as factory belly skids, I'm fairly certain they're the same across all trims, and the Rubicon just gets the one extra front steel skid compared to the other trims to protect the sway bar disconnect hardware.

The Rubicon/Mojave/Freedom editions get the extra body and bed rock rails as well.

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
Reading through the comments not a single one of them is wrong. Great advice really... but how are you planning to use your truck? Wet stuff? Dunes? Forest? Little bit of everything? I think the most important thing to take is patience and maybe a couple buddies. Enjoy the outdoors.

OP
OP
BringTheLightnin

BringTheLightnin

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport
OP
OP
BringTheLightnin

BringTheLightnin

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport
Reading through the comments not a single one of them is wrong. Great advice really... but how are you planning to use your truck? Wet stuff? Dunes? Forest? Little bit of everything? I think the most important thing to take is patience and maybe a couple buddies. Enjoy the outdoors.
Mostly local stuff so more forest and mud with some rocks mixed in. I plan on keeping this truck for a very long time so eventually want to upgrade axels and lockers and take to Moab and Rubicon later on in a couple years.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Mostly local stuff so more forest and mud with some rocks mixed in. I plan on keeping this truck for a very long time so eventually want to upgrade axels and lockers and take to Moab and Rubicon later on in a couple years.
Most replies are giving you good advice. Iā€™d add a hitch skid as very inexpensive protection. Itā€™ll help immensely. Mine never comes off unless Iā€™m towing.
Sponsored