2021 Bronco

No IFS

First Name
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Banned
How many times , how many ways. IFS and Straight axle are Different. They are not apples to apples.
The Heavy duty truck Crowd that is buying Ford super duty’s Ram 1 tons for their big beefy Dana 60 front axle will never buy a GMC or Chevrolet IFS front truck. Same with Jeep crowd.
Conversely the people who love IFS will gravitate to this bronco suv because they like the smooth ride and the attributes of independent front suspension like every other SUV on the market.
Like it or not they’re different for different applications for different people
Sponsored

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
Deja vu all over again. The V8 supposedly went the way of the dodo in the late 70’s when turbo 4 bangers were all the rage. Problem was they burned out at less than 100k if you were heavy on the go pedal. Re-enter the V8. Anemic at first, the Ford 5.0 HO in the 1986 Mustang was tunable and easy to upgrade. Others followed suite. By 2010, the V8 reigned yet again. The new generation of turbo 4 bangers are much more stout, but the V8 will never disappear. The FCA 5.7 hemi is nice, but I went with the 6.4. If you think the V8 is not an all around fantastic performer and perfectly suited for the JT, you need to come drive mine. It is a completely different truck.

kelkolb

First Name
Kelley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
The V8 will likely be around for some time, just likely in smaller quantities as manufacturers are forced to forego them in favor of more fuel efficient forced induction engines. FCA is only able to build as many as they do because they buy carbon credits from Tesla. It's only a matter of time before that is no longer possible.

The V6 is perfectly fine if gearing is maintained. Especially with this new 8 speed. I would however be all over a V8 if it were possible, but there are reports all over that Jeep engineers saying it's not possible with crash test regulations. That is unless they decide to enlarge the overall package, but then you start to defeat the benefits of it off road.

I personally can't wait for an electric gladiator. That would be a monster at everything. Undeniably better for towing and off road.

OP
OP
Nannook of the north

Nannook of the north

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport
It's been discussed in length in the EV wrangler thread that a ev wrangler would not be better than a gas engine for offroading. Case closed.

cgflyer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon MT, 2013 Ford Focus ST
Occupation
United States Coast Guard
Been looking forward for more info on the Bronco for months. Came pretty close to getting a JTR a while back, but still too many quality reservations and pricing concerns.

If the Bronco carries a strong tow rating (5500 - 6500), I'll be sorely tempted. If Jeep drops in the 5.7 or lowers the price of the 3.6, then they can still get me.

Few loyalists on this forum can seem to admit it for some reason, but the return of the Bronco should mean a much better, maybe cheaper, Jeep.
Jeep is not going to put a V8 in the Jeep

Sponsored

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
Unless Ford is willing to have a stand-alone chassis or redevelop the ranger to solid axle fully expect us to be IFS.

12BNNT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
The bronco will compete with the JLU (not the JT) and Ford knows it. Will it sway the off-road Jeep crowd, no. Will it sway those that buy the wrangler for looks and style, possibly. Comparing the Bronco and JLU on polarizing looks, features (removable doors and tops) and uniqueness is apples to apples BUT capabilities off-road may be more oranges to tangerines.

I had a coworker ask me to compare my JTR to a Rebel he was looking at, and as I had told him, they are two different vehicles. One (Be it Rebel, Trail Boss, FX4, Ranger, Taco, Colorado) is an on-road vehicle set up to be acceptable for light to moderate off-road use, the other is an off-road vehicle set up to be acceptable on road. If I wanted a truck to pull my camper and maybe go down a fire or logging road to go camping or fishing, the Rebel is going to be more comfortable and towing capable on a daily basis. I wanted a truck with unique looks and “go anywhere” capability that was comfortable enough to use as a daily driver and capable of pulling my camper (daily driver and off-road toy in one package). The JTR fits that bill.

Most people buying 4 wheel drive SUV’s are buying for style, cargo space and the function of not being limited to paved roads. If Ford prices the Bronco below the JLU, they will get a lot of those customers. Most of those buying Wranglers are buying for the looks, ability to easily customize to their style, and the freedom (or idea of it) that the off-road ability gives them. Done right, the Bronco may be able to offer that very same thing. Those that want the off-road/rock crawling capability as a priority will walk away from the IFS and stick with Jeep (or find a solid axle swap solution)

Time will tell but the competition will be good for the buyer. As people see features/amenities on the Bronco and FCA starts offering add-ons or updates to appease the people saying “I wish my Wrangler had...” and Ford doing the same to pull more customers they hear saying “I’ll stick with my wrangler to have....” both vehicles will get better and better. But Neither company will change the DNA of the vehicle, Ford will boast how their IFS SUV is so much better for daily use and Jeep will Boast how much more capable their solid axle is.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
As a Mustang enthusiast, I'm somewhat familiar with Ford history. Most people aren't aware that Ford engineers have cranked out some pioneering designs. We know Chevrolet copied the Mustang concept with the Camaro. We know Chevrolet copied the Ranchero concept with the El Camino. The F-150 was first to have a high output, turbocharged V6 engine and aluminum bed. (Chevrolet couldn't keep up and created ridiculous ads criticizing the aluminum bed. But really, they're just jealous.) Too bad it appears Chevrolet is phoning it in with their new Blazer. A good, three way competition would be even better.
And Chrysler's history is full of even more firsts, dating all the way back to the 50s when they were the first to put a FM radio in a car. The Chrysler brands have pioneered just about everything from four wheel drive in vehicles that never had it before to the minivan to the SUV to the most legendary powertrains in U.S. history. Allpar actually has a good article somewhere about all the things we have today because of Chrysler.

My last truck was a 2015 F150 Platinum with the 3.5 twin turbo. All I know is that engine was a monster, tonnes of power, tonnes of torque. The only downside is it doesn't sound as good as a throaty V8. You guys hung up on the V8 thing need to get over it, the times are changing.
Actually there is another downside. It's a miserable pile of garbage.

The first gen 3.5 was so poor that after 5 short years they threw it in the trash bin and started over again from scratch. The current one shares zero parts with the original. Even still, the DI, FI, and small displacement has proven to be extremely problematic and fuel thirsty. Owners report the same unloaded MPG as the V8 guys, but once loaded those turbo motors drink fuel like they're sponsored by OPEC. They also have a litany of issues such as soot coking, turbo failure, supplemental vacuum pump failure, intercooler failure, timing system failure, etc.

I've had the misfortune of doing a timing job on one of them. The engineers at Ford should get an award for building the most over-engineered, hard to work on piece of garbage ever put into a domestic truck. No wonder the recall and TSB list is a country mile long on those boat anchors. And, no wonder Ford's own Coyote V8 is still the #1 selling individual engine option in the F-150.

Not that it matters because since 2011 Ford has totally lost touch with consumers. They haven't built one single thing that stands out. The new GT500 would otherwise be impressive but they priced it out of the market.

sarcasm

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
I am interested in what the new Bronco will focus on. From the leaks it does look like it might be an actual competitor to the Wrangler.

In my mind the Bronco did not compete with the Jeep after they changed it in 1978. I kind of liked the Bronco from that era but it was a very different beast than the Jeep CJ of the time. More of a response to the Jeep Cherokee than a Jeep CJ.

In addition to the Gladiator I have a 2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. It may not be a capable as the 2 door but the extra space makes it a much more useful vehicle. The 2 Door is about as useful as my Miata as a daily. The leaks make it look like Ford is going all out on competing with both the 2 and 4 door Wrangler. Most people don't really care about the off road capabilities of their Jeeps but I think to compete Ford still needs to bring a very capable off-roader. The image of a foe off-roader would not bring people to the showroom. Even if they will never use it people want to know they can.

I can see myself replacing the Wrangler with a Bronco if it was a better overall vehicle. (Assuming it was Wife approved) But it would have to be better and also have aftermarket support.

DunnMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
And Chrysler's history is full of even more firsts, dating all the way back to the 50s when they were the first to put a FM radio in a car. The Chrysler brands have pioneered just about everything from four wheel drive in vehicles that never had it before to the minivan to the SUV to the most legendary powertrains in U.S. history. Allpar actually has a good article somewhere about all the things we have today because of Chrysler.

The first gen 3.5 was so poor that after 5 short years they threw it in the trash bin and started over again from scratch. The current one shares zero parts with the original. Even still, the DI, FI, and small displacement has proven to be extremely problematic and fuel thirsty. Owners report the same unloaded MPG as the V8 guys, but once loaded those turbo motors drink fuel like they're sponsored by OPEC. They also have a litany of issues such as soot coking, turbo failure, supplemental vacuum pump failure, intercooler failure, timing system failure, etc.
All I can tell ya is my 2015 had zero issues with the engine in 5 yrs, not one.

Sponsored

Bowerss2

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Gladiator, 1980 Chevrolet Corvette, 1930 Ford Roadster Pickup, 1930 Ford Station Wagon, 1930 Ford Phaeton, and an awesome 2004 Ford E-250 (the dangerwagon)
Competition is a healthy thing. I am sure it will sway some people away from the Wrangler. lets be honest with ifs it will probably be more behaved on the street. Jeep is very iconic though, and for young people I really dont know if they have the same brand image of the Bronco (its been off the market for longer than many of them have been alive!) than people have of the wrangler. I really think it could be a real problem for the 4Runner however.

conrfox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Competition is a healthy thing. I am sure it will sway some people away from the Wrangler. lets be honest with ifs it will probably be more behaved on the street. Jeep is very iconic though, and for young people I really dont know if they have the same brand image of the Bronco (its been off the market for longer than many of them have been alive!) than people have of the wrangler. I really think it could be a real problem for the 4Runner however.
When you ask younger people about Jeeps i’d bet the first thing that comes to their minds putting is top down and taking the doors off. It’ll be interesting to see how another vehicle with likely the same features will change the “brand image” that Jeep has created, now that the ability will be non-exclusive to Jeeps.

The Bronco’s interaction with the 4Runner will be interesting, too. But speaking for the younger generation few of my friends/peers know what a 4Runner even is, but have no problem with recognizing the Bronco or Wrangler name. The idea of direct competition between the Wrangler and the Bronco makes sense, but it seems a little out of place to put the 4Runner in the same segment. I guess they are all capable off-road SUV’s though…

Of course, this is just my Cliff-Noted opinion.

Deleted member 30519

I love my gutless v6 in the gladiator. When all the dodge Rams are passing me WOT and I'm just cruising in 3rd gear. If they put a V8 in the gladiator or Wrangler you would have nothing but wreckless tool bags racing and flipping them. I love my gladiator

siggy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Wrangler JKU

I've had the misfortune of doing a timing job on one of them. The engineers at Ford should get an award for building the most over-engineered, hard to work on piece of garbage ever put into a domestic truck. No wonder the recall and TSB list is a country mile long on those boat anchors. And, no wonder Ford's own Coyote V8 is still the #1 selling individual engine option in the F-150.

Not that it matters because since 2011 Ford has totally lost touch with consumers. They haven't built one single thing that stands out. The new GT500 would otherwise be impressive but they priced it out of the market.
Wut? I’m not a huge Ford fan but you missed the GT350? Raptor? Your bias runs strong, clearly.

siggy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Wrangler JKU
I love my gutless v6 in the gladiator. When all the dodge Rams are passing me WOT and I'm just cruising in 3rd gear. If they put a V8 in the gladiator or Wrangler you would have nothing but wreckless tool bags racing and flipping them. I love my gladiator
And a vehicle that can safely merge into traffic without having to wind out third gear :)
Sponsored