2021 Gladiator Maintenance/Reliability

Yeti1776

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Hi everyone! I’ve been looking at ordering a 2021 Gladiator Willy’s Sport Diesel but I’ve heard mixed things about the diesel and wanted to see what people thought about theirs.
For starters I’ve seen people mention that it’s new without much testing but isn’t it the same engine they’ve been running in the Cherokee's and Ram?
I’ve also heard maintenance can be a big deal but under $100 oil changes doesn’t seem bad. What typically goes bad on them? My dealer does a lifetime power train warranty so would that cover most issues I would see?
My intended use is to have a truck for rodeos as well as the occasional trip out to Moab. I won’t be hauling much with it(I bull ride so don’t need to trailer anything) but like the better fuel economy given I’ll be putting so many miles on it.
Thanks for any help anyone can provide!
Sponsored

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
Hi everyone! I’ve been looking at ordering a 2021 Gladiator Willy’s Sport Diesel but I’ve heard mixed things about the diesel and wanted to see what people thought about theirs.
For starters I’ve seen people mention that it’s new without much testing but isn’t it the same engine they’ve been running in the Cherokee's and Ram?
I’ve also heard maintenance can be a big deal but under $100 oil changes doesn’t seem bad. What typically goes bad on them? My dealer does a lifetime power train warranty so would that cover most issues I would see?
My intended use is to have a truck for rodeos as well as the occasional trip out to Moab. I won’t be hauling much with it(I bull ride so don’t need to trailer anything) but like the better fuel economy given I’ll be putting so many miles on it.
You are going to get so much sh!t from all the other cowboys..... WTF man where is you Ford power stroke, Dodge Cummins, or GMC Duramax? Might as well get the Nissan with a diesel in it....then ya would be fully laughed at. :CWL: :CWL::CWL:

OP
OP

Yeti1776

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
You are going to get so much sh!t from all the other cowboys..... WTF man where is you Ford power stroke, Dodge Cummins, or GMC Duramax? Might as well get the Nissan with a diesel in it....then ya would be fully laughed at. :CWL: :CWL::CWL:
Haha yes I’m well aware of that, but I’m upgrading from an Audi so it’s a step in the right direction 😂

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
So mine had 4581 miles on it. Fuel injector pump catastrophically failed. Been in the shop for a month and a half. Other than that I love it. Currently driving a gasser Gladiator. As a rental would definitely not buy a gasser. Comparing the two directly. I've seen as high as 31 mpg on my diesel. Average about 27ish. The gasser max has been 22 mpg. Not a fan of that one.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Yeti1776

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
So mine had 4581 miles on it. Fuel injector pump catastrophically failed. Been in the shop for a month and a half. Other than that I love it. Currently driving a gasser Gladiator. As a rental would definitely not buy a gasser. Comparing the two directly. I've seen as high as 31 mpg on my diesel. Average about 27ish. The gasser max has been 22 mpg. Not a fan of that one.
Good to know. My dad has a gasser gladiator and I don’t mind it but the mpg difference is huge, especially driving cross country.

tommyp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Max Tow

and if the injector pump failed out of warranty? You have to balance the cost of repairs with the cost of fuel. Since diesel is more expensive at least in my area plus def etc. It all adds up. You will always have cheaper repairs on the gasser and more options to replace parts from the junkyard if needed. There are 3.6's in everything.

So you are getting ~25% more mileage and paying maybe 8-10% more for diesel and Def. You also have more expensive and rare parts down the road. It maybe worth it but It may not if stuff goes bad.

For me it wasn't the huge plus for the gasser is a vehicle is that has a common engine and a common stout transmission that is made for larger trucks. Looking at car-part right now. A 3.6 for a 2021 is $2500 and the trans is $1400 and it is just going to get cheaper as more are out there. A 3.0 junkyard pullout is $6500

Last edited:

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Good to know. My dad has a gasser gladiator and I don’t mind it but the mpg difference is huge, especially driving cross country.
Like already said - too many look at only the MPG differences.
The oil changes are much more expensive, DEF, maintenance, etc. - it would seem to me to be almost a wash. In other words, I'd buy the diesel because I wanted a diesel - not because of fuel economy. That can be eaten up really quickly with other factors.
If you want one, buy one.
(and if trying to compare economy - keep in mind, before I added a lot of weight to mine, 24 mpg wasn't that hard to achieve in my "Gasser" JT)

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
I want the diesel, ordered the diesel. I’ll live with the consequences good or bad, I can’t imagine it would be that bad though.

Sponsored

Barbarian

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jtur diesel 21
Occupation
Business
Ive just turned over 14 k with my 2021 JTRD. No issues with the diesel whatsoever. Oil changes cost me about 75 bucks. Towing Utility and race trailers no problem. Best MPG 33 avg 27. Good luck

BEERviper

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator SS eco Diesel
Occupation
Real Estate
Another vote for zero issues at 11k miles including lots of short trips around town, long trips across states, towing a ~3,500 lb camper, towing a 4k lb boat all at 5k+ altitude. All but 500 miles on 2" lift and BFG 37's.

If I bought a gas JT, I would probably be one of the members here that has posted about trading up from a gas to diesel!

I ❤ my Diesel JT

RoryR88

First Name
Rory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Another vote for zero issues at 11k miles including lots of short trips around town, long trips across states, towing a ~3,500 lb camper, towing a 4k lb boat all at 5k+ altitude. All but 500 miles on 2" lift and BFG 37's.

If I bought a gas JT, I would probably be one of the members here that has posted about trading up from a gas to diesel!

I ❤ my Diesel JT
Any issues with overheating while towing over any of the passes like Eisenhower, Vail, or Berthoud? I would only be towing about 3k lbs but really don't want to be driving 45 up I-70 towing a trailer.

BEERviper

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator SS eco Diesel
Occupation
Real Estate
Any issues with overheating while towing over any of the passes like Eisenhower, Vail, or Berthoud? I would only be towing about 3k lbs but really don't want to be driving 45 up I-70 towing a trailer.
I haven't made that drive yet towing a camper or boat, I am tempted to try it just to see how the JTD handles the extreme altitude of the Eisenhower Pass (a.k.a. Ike Gauntlet from TFL Truck).

I have seen oil temps as high was 255 and coolant temp at 230 when towing around Estes Park at ~8,500' going up some of the bigger hills but never any loss of power or derating.
Sponsored