Website
real-man-truckworks-and-survival.com
Vehicle(s)
22AEV JT, 22 Ram 3500, Suburban 2500, 22 Caddy XT6
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Aviator (military) Commercial pilot, rotary and fixed wing, Writer
I was hoping to pull 50 pounds off the front end, that was 75% of why I did this. Well the AEV bumper/lights weighed a hefty 156. This new Rugged Ridge bumper with lights comes in at 69.9, resulting in a weight savings of over 66 pounds!

Wow, that's huge.

When I bolt in the Lithium iron PO4 battery, I'll lose a bunch more and should be able to claim the loss of 100 pounds or more...!
Sponsored

OP
OP
Flyin6

Flyin6

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
OP
OP
Flyin6

Flyin6

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Aluminum tube clamps...

DSC01526 (Medium).JPG

DSC01527 (Medium).JPG

OP
OP
Flyin6

Flyin6

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Chinaman lights, are pretty average. I have to say, though, the quality of these and many of the things we are buying today is fairly high

DSC01528 (Medium).JPG

DSC01529 (Medium).JPG

OP
OP
Flyin6

Flyin6

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
And on they go...

DSC01531 (Medium).JPG

DSC01532 (Medium).JPG

DSC01533 (Medium).JPG

Sponsored

OP
OP
Flyin6

Flyin6

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
And now prepping the used AEV bumper and AEV lights for sale...

DSC01534 (Medium).JPG

DSC01535 (Medium).JPG

DSC01536 (Medium).JPG

DSC01537 (Medium).JPG

DSC01538 (Medium).JPG

DSC01540 (Medium).JPG

DSC01541 (Medium).JPG

OP
OP
Flyin6

Flyin6

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Making an observation here, but there don't seem to be many comments from the membership here. Is that normal for this forum? Personally, I write up my work so that I can get constructive comments, like, "You bolted the wheel on inside-out, it would fit better the other way around." And I take my time sharing this information to benefit others and maybe if I'm lucky, make a friend. I do not do this to feel validated...Brother, I have all the air medals I'll ever need hanging on a wall somewhere... ;-)
But I'm just not seeing that here. Seems a little one-sided, but that's OK if that is the way this site is, then I guess it works for the folks here. There doesn't seem to be a lot of dialogue, just "likes" and "Loves". Man, what the heck are those? Easy is the answer. Just push a button and you have posted a starry-eyed emoji. Much easier than typing a reply, I guess. Perhaps I am just from a different world. I guess guys like me may be better served elsewhere. Just a commentary...

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
This thing was a lot lighter and way less complicated than the AEV bumper it replaced.

DSC01511 (Medium).JPG

DSC01514 (Medium).JPG

DSC01516 (Medium).JPG

DSC01518 (Medium).JPG
I really like how you are weighing everything! I dont think very many people do that and probably end up way overweight. I am weighing things as well but probably not as accurately. Nice progress so far! Havent' gotten around to checking out your site yet but it's on the list.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Flyin6

Flyin6

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
I really like how you are weighing everything! I dont think very many people do that and probably end up way overweight. I am weighing things as well but probably not as accurately. Nice progress so far! Havent' gotten around to checking out your site yet but it's not he list.
Hopefully, you meant, "On the list! ;-)

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester

Sponsored

OP
OP
Flyin6

Flyin6

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation

fourfa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTRD + ACCC
Build Thread
Link
I've been enjoying reading this build, especially the copious and detailed pics. Definitely a useful resource for others. I read a lot of build threads here, and like you note I don't comment often but I do leave a ton of likes.

I have my own build thread, with very few comments from others but enough likes to feel that people find my thread interesting and useful. But that's me; YMMV. My main intention with my thread is as a resource for myself, to remember what I was doing and thinking, store some extra build pics, make it easy to keep and refer to details that are hard to remember (my camper install has so many different precise thread pitches and screw lengths...)

Personally I hope you decide to keep yours going. But this site (any public foum really) is really different than having one's own website & forum, that's just how it is

OP
OP
Flyin6

Flyin6

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
I've been enjoying reading this build, especially the copious and detailed pics. Definitely a useful resource for others. I read a lot of build threads here, and like you note I don't comment often but I do leave a ton of likes.

I have my own build thread, with very few comments from others but enough likes to feel that people find my thread interesting and useful. But that's me; YMMV. My main intention with my thread is as a resource for myself, to remember what I was doing and thinking, store some extra build pics, make it easy to keep and refer to details that are hard to remember (my camper install has so many different precise thread pitches and screw lengths...)

Personally I hope you decide to keep yours going. But this site (any public foum really) is really different than having one's own website & forum, that's just how it is
I would invite you to take a look at the thread and forum where I am posting my build(s). Not the "like" and "love" crowd there. Smart people and loads of comments and interaction. By all means post here as it is a good source of information. but if you're looking for more...

Oh, and BTW, I am liking your build thread. Details and some thoughtful choices thus far. I cherish good writeups such as yours...

JT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Willys
Making an observation here, but there don't seem to be many comments from the membership here. Is that normal for this forum? Personally, I write up my work so that I can get constructive comments, like, "You bolted the wheel on inside-out, it would fit better the other way around." And I take my time sharing this information to benefit others and maybe if I'm lucky, make a friend. I do not do this to feel validated...Brother, I have all the air medals I'll ever need hanging on a wall somewhere... ;-)
But I'm just not seeing that here. Seems a little one-sided, but that's OK if that is the way this site is, then I guess it works for the folks here. There doesn't seem to be a lot of dialogue, just "likes" and "Loves". Man, what the heck are those? Easy is the answer. Just push a button and you have posted a starry-eyed emoji. Much easier than typing a reply, I guess. Perhaps I am just from a different world. I guess guys like me may be better served elsewhere. Just a commentary...
Man, just ran across your thread!

Keep it up, great thread, and 2 great looking dogs.

OP
OP
Flyin6

Flyin6

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Man, just ran across your thread!

Keep it up, great thread, and 2 great looking dogs.
Thanks. Actually, THREE of those mountain dogs. My wife enjoys seeing out house destroyed faster than an angry regiment of termites! ;-)
FYI, this is just a reader's digest format. There's a lot more on the link. I do the principal writeup over there and by the time I venture here, I'm all worn out. Also, there's a bunch more discussion on the main write-up thread. Whichever works for you, I'm happy that you enjoy it.
Sponsored

Reactions: JT1