Sponsored

COmtnbiker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ; 2022 Sport S JT
I am working with Gupton, and it seems 22MY orders do start next month.
Sponsored

TheGerman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel
Occupation
IT
When the battery is depleted, the 4xe system largely relies on the ICE engine. Gladiators are made to tow. The 2.0L does not put out enough power to tow, hence they do not put it in the JT now.
Ergo, the 4xe Gladiator will not have the 2.0L.
Prove me wrong -
The 4xE with the diesel engine would be nice.

spectre6000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
pending
I am working with Gupton, and it seems 22MY orders do start next month.
~11 days until we know what that means exactly... Assuming the NY Auto Show information release schedule is held to via whatever alternative medium...

The 4xE with the diesel engine would be nice.
Until you saw that it pretty much stopped being a truck. It would LOOK like a truck, but be completely incapable of performing any truck-like activities. You'd have zero payload or towing capacity.

869 KPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hot Dog Vendor
Until you saw that it pretty much stopped being a truck. It would LOOK like a truck, but be completely incapable of performing any truck-like activities. You'd have zero payload or towing capacity.
Sooooo - an H3T or Brute Doublecab? lol.

Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
The 2.0L wasn't kept out of the JT because of power. It was kept out because when it makes that power it gets too hot and they couldn't meet SAE J2807 targets while towing with that engine....which is yet another reason I think a 4xe Gladiator would be ridiculous unless they do the engine and battery system 100% different from how they did Wrangler.

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
The 2.0L wasn't kept out of the JT because of power. It was kept out because when it makes that power it gets too hot and they couldn't meet SAE J2807 targets while towing with that engine....
So to your point, the 2.0L had to work too hard to move the heavier Gladiator plus tow the more-than-3,500# JL capacity and would overheat. Makes sense that the (current JL) hybrid combo would not work, as it is even More heavy. Unless maybe they completely gut the tow rating- it would likely have to be Less than 3,500#

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
So to your point, the 2.0L had to work too hard to move the heavier Gladiator plus tow the more-than-3,500# JL capacity and would overheat. Makes sense that the (current JL) hybrid combo would not work, as it is even More heavy. Unless maybe they completely gut the tow rating- it would likely have to be Less than 3,500#
Yep and like I mentioned in a couple of the 4xe threads, that's what I expect that they'll do: gut the towing and payload rating. It's either that or stamp it with a 7,000+ lb GVWR, which would be absolutely nuts for a midsize truck. You've got to get around that additional weight somehow. The fact that the tiny 2.0L engine isn't a good match for towing just adds fuel to the fire.

COmtnbiker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ; 2022 Sport S JT
Can you pass along what Daniel said specifically?
I'm not one to quote people directly from a private email - but the gist is that 2022 should be able to be ordered sometime September. That meshes with the Steallantis order date that started this thread showing a 9/3/21 order date for 22MY.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
Maybe 4xe would only be available on the diesel then, rather than 3.6?
In a Perfect world, a diesel-hybrid would be awesome, but in reality with all the extra crap that goes with a modern diesel, I honestly don't see where they would have room for any of the hybrid stuff. Much less, you'd be adding ~500 more pounds to an already-overweight pig.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
In a Perfect world, a diesel-hybrid would be awesome, but in reality with all the extra crap that goes with a modern diesel, I honestly don't see where they would have room for any of the hybrid stuff. Much less, you'd be adding ~500 more pounds to an already-overweight pig.
I agree.

In theory, they could build an all electric Gladiator and then use a 25 horsepower diesel engine to provide one function: charge the system. That would keep them under the Tier IV emissions limit for DPF/DEF and free up a ton of space, and it would make for a very efficient powertrain capable of extremely long distances.

spectre6000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
pending
I haven't verified this, but I believe the capacities are already bumping up against the legal class maximum as they are... Any additional weight will come at the expense of capabilities. I've said earlier in this thread, or possibly in another that I wouldn't be surprised to find that the 4Xe was a mistake made in the ad department's photoshop pen.

It absolutely will not come with the diesel, as that would make the truck purely decorative. The 2.0L is similarly unlikely as has been stated above.

If it is at all in the cards, it'll likely have to come with the V6 (or another engine not currently in production... I6t?), and the capacities will drop accordingly. If the Rubicon and Mojave are weight limited to their 5K# towing capacity, it'll likely not be available in upper trims. If it's suspension limited, maybe it will be.

Either way, we might get a clue in the next week or two. My MY22 money is on UConnect 5 and colors only. May not even get so much as a press release with the NY Auto Show cancelled. Just silently roll out in the order sheets while the focus is on some mommy-mobile or another. I'll be happy to be wrong.

morejeepsthanicancount

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Vehicle Showcase
I wouldn't entertain a hybrid pickup unless it could be used as a portable generator as well and run at least a few decent sized power tools and/or run some if not all of my house in the event of an extended power outage.
soooo. a Ford Lightning? lol
Sponsored