Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hot Dog Vendor
When the battery is depleted, the 4xe system largely relies on the ICE engine. Gladiators are made to tow. The 2.0L does not put out enough power to tow, hence they do not put it in the JT now.
Ergo, the 4xe Gladiator will not have the 2.0L.
Prove me wrong -
I hope that you are correct.
Sponsored

Linx

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Punk’n JT
When the battery is depleted, the 4xe system largely relies on the ICE engine. Gladiators are made to tow. The 2.0L does not put out enough power to tow, hence they do not put it in the JT now.
Prove me wrong -
Unless the Gladiator 4xe uses the 3.6. 😉

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
Unless the Gladiator 4xe uses the 3.6. 😉
Entirely Possible, even likely. Would not get me to purchase one tho.
Now, if they roll out the GME-6 twin-turbo... that would be pretty awesome.

Slojo

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JK Unlimited X, 2011 Grand Cherokee, 2016 Colorado Z 71
When Jeep announced the Hybrid/BEV plan they actually showed a 4xe Grand Cherokee charging at the field station. The new GC and GCL will need the 3.6 as well.

Gladiator Overland

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Website
linktr.ee
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubi Diesel. Toyota 4Runner
I've seen a few places where it's been stated there will be an electrified version of everything in the stable within a short time frame. If the 4Xe isn't announced in New York, it will likely be a mid-model year sort of thing. It seems pretty well ironed out with the JL, so it's sort of hard to imagine it's a big lift to get it in a JT.

Though there was also some talk that they where not putting it into the Gladiator due to cooling issues.. Guess we will see in time.

Sponsored

spectre6000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
pending
Stellantis said the model entire range will have at least an electrified option by 2025. It's not really a question of if, but when... Unless they just drop the model in the interim. How have sales been? Clearly not gangbusters since they announced(... last night?) that they're shutting down production and prioritizing JL due to chip shortages. It's no mystery that the JL is the US market cash cow, but I think it was in the same breath as the minivan and some other barely-there stable mate...

Jhall1981

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Altitude
Occupation
Assembly Technician
Keeping my eye out for these updates. I’m considering trading back out of my ‘21 Ram but only for a ‘22 JT. I’ve found more info on here about the new MY than any other place.

Jglad15

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Can anyone confirm for us today that it was a typo and 21 orders closed yesterday?

firemedic2714

First Name
Scotty P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JT Rubicon, 19 Genesis G70, 1972 Ford LTD coupe
Occupation
Firefighter / Paramedic
Vehicle Showcase
Prove me wrong -
I'm a die hard ICE guy and classic car lover of all makes and years, but I'm not stupid enough to think that the industry is not going to go full on electric eventually. This is JMO, but I wouldn't entertain a hybrid pickup unless it could be used as a portable generator as well and run at least a few decent sized power tools and/or run some if not all of my house in the event of an extended power outage. I'm with Oilburner in the belief that the 2.0 can't haul the Gladiator with a heavy battery pack AND a trailer. I'm sure Jeep is very busy with R&D to give us what we want in a 4Xe JT.

Jglad15

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
According to a dealer I spoke to today you can still order 21s.

Sponsored

YYCSahara

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Mojave 3.6 Auto
Prove me wrong -

2.0T puts out a lot more torque and about the same power as the 3.6, which comes on sooner than the 3.6 So if anything it would be a better tow vehicle than the 3.6 if it has all that torque, no? It could be that perception dictates that you can't put such a small engine in a truck? The 2.0 also sounds awful, which again would be counter to what a truck is perceived to be.

Jeep Gladiator 2022 Jeep Gladiator Order Banks & Production Start Dates 8fbb5473-9230-43b8-a303-5e12b5fb33e6-

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Torque is the potential to do work - HP is the work it actually does. Even 6 HP drop is a fair amount on such a low HP engine. HP gets you down the track and is what determines your ET and max speed achieved. Take HP and you get there slower. We're pushing these at today's speed limits as it is - you really want to tell people yeah, the torque is great but your towing will be limited to 50 mph?
Torque feels good taking off - but if the HP isn't there - it will take forever to get to the line at the end.
Any less HP than what these have now would be unacceptable for me.
Hell, I'll put a hitch on my Javelin and tow if the next JT has less HP.

There's no way they'll keep the tow ratings they have if they have to lower HP on these. Just my gut feeling.

My wife's Grand Cherokee has a better tow rating than my JT has as it is.

foo.c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2021 Corvette
Torque is the potential to do work - HP is the work it actually does. Even 6 HP drop is a fair amount on such a low HP engine. HP gets you down the track and is what determines your ET and max speed achieved. Take HP and you get there slower. We're pushing these at today's speed limits as it is - you really want to tell people yeah, the torque is great but your towing will be limited to 50 mph?
Torque feels good taking off - but if the HP isn't there - it will take forever to get to the line at the end.
Any less HP than what these have now would be unacceptable for me.
Hell, I'll put a hitch on my Javelin and tow if the next JT has less HP.

There's no way they'll keep the tow ratings they have if they have to lower HP on these. Just my gut feeling.

My wife's Grand Cherokee has a better tow rating than my JT has as it is.
I agree 100%, but the 2.0 makes more HP below 5750 RPM. Even when towing you won't spend much time above that RPM.

I'd still probably pick the p*. Just less stuff to go wrong, and easier to pull when I V8 swap, LOL.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I agree 100%, but the 2.0 makes more HP below 5750 RPM. Even when towing you won't spend much time above that RPM.

I'd still probably pick the p*. Just less stuff to go wrong, and easier to pull when I V8 swap, LOL.
That's a good point - HP down where it's more usable........
I'm used to cruising at 2800-3200 rpm.
My little red car hardly ever sees 5th gear because I can't stand something not responding when I want to get up and go. When I have the cruise set on that car, I leave it in 4th.
I only use 5th when not using cruise and at 65 mph or better.

I'll never get used to highway RPM of 1500-1800
Sponsored