Sponsored

2023 Chevy Colorado just dropped... What does that mean for the Gladiator.

@californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator diesel, 1977 cj5 LS swapped

DailyMoparGuy

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S 3.6L
Occupation
Engineer
Definitely a good looking truck but it just doesn’t do it for me like the JT does. At this point, the only trucks I’d trade for would be a Power Wagon or F250 Tremor.

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
I’d like to see the backseat setup on the GM twins. Rear leg and shoulder room, rear a/c vents, arm rear, fold with flat fish floor or storage? Fold down for flat deck? I haven’t seen a single video or picture of the 23 back seat.

Mav4x4Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Sport Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Truck Builder
I briefly looked at Rangers and Colorados. Couldn't even order a Ranger (or find one on a lot) so that was out by default. I was shopping ZR2's, and they weren't too hard to find, but ultimately I settled on the Gladiator because I love the styling and it has the most back seat leg room of the 'small' trucks. Being able to remove the freedom panels and doors is a nice addition, but wasn't the driving factor for me. I could have gotten a Lariat/ZR2 for what I'm buying a Sport Max Tow for, but considering the previous points I made and the fact that a custom order would arrive in only 3 months - that was the ticket for me.

As for the new Colorado - I think it's a very attractive truck inside and out. Much nicer than the outgoing model. If for some reason I found myself disliking my Gladiator, I'd check back on the Colorados.

FWIW, until I bought my Jeep Wrangler JK (that I just sold in prep for Gladiator arrival) I drove nothing but Chevrolet cars and trucks, and currently own a 2015 SS Camaro.

Sponsored

OP
OP
The Duck of Earl

The Duck of Earl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In flux
I’d like to see the backseat setup on the GM twins. Rear leg and shoulder room, rear a/c vents, arm rear, fold with flat fish floor or storage? Fold down for flat deck? I haven’t seen a single video or picture of the 23 back seat.
Just looking at the side profile, it appears the rear doors are the same size as the outgoing model. I would assume if they had stretched the interior they would be commenting on such. This is a shame.

I cannot understand why the manufacturers of 'mid-sized' trucks push the 4 door 'crew cab' so much only for the rear leg room and seat space to be so dismal. For a back seat so small, it should just be an 'extended-cab' with suicide doors.

Honestly the back seat room is one of the biggest pros for the Gladiator to me in the segment. Not that being able to take the top and doors off isn't cool, but I would honestly get WAY more use out of a powered sunroof and rear window slider.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Just looking at the side profile, it appears the rear doors are the same size as the outgoing model. I would assume if they had stretched the interior they would be commenting on such. This is a shame.

I cannot understand why the manufacturers of 'mid-sized' trucks push the 4 door 'crew cab' so much only for the rear leg room and seat space to be so dismal. For a back seat so small, it should just be an 'extended-cab' with suicide doors.

Honestly the back seat room is one of the biggest pros for the Gladiator to me in the segment. Not that being able to take the top and doors off isn't cool, but I would honestly get WAY more use out of a powered sunroof and rear window slider.
I mean there's only so much room to be had without making the truck as long as a full-size. The quad cab is pushed because they can comfortably fit 4 adults and that's what most people want. I mean even 2dr Wranglers are below a 20% take rate at this point and extended cab Tacoms barely sell outside fleet/work trucks. There's just not a market for 2-seaters that can hold 4 in a pinch, people want 4 regularly usable seats.

legacy_etu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Mojave, 20 Supra, 16 Wrangler UNLTD,
Have you priced quality aftermarket LED headlights recently (not crappy amazon stuff, but actual, quality stuff? That option is far from ridiculously overpriced. Not to mention that the factory LEDs are engineered better than the aftermarket stuff. I've had truck lites, Grote, and the cheap Amazon crap. My factory LEDS are by far better than the aftermarket stuff.
I agree that quality LED’s are expensive.

What I’d point out though is that at the price point of anything $42k or so and above should by default come standard with LED’s and not require you add it “a la carte”.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
I agree that quality LED’s are expensive.

What I’d point out though is that at the price point of anything $42k or so and above should by default come standard with LED’s and not require you add it “a la carte”.
You could make the same price point argument on almost any option should be standard. They have to draw the line somewhere to make a good, better or best offering on their models and price as such.

Starting in 2022, they made previous options now standard like the 7" radio in the Sport models and the 8.4" radio in the higher trims along with door proximity that just added multiple thousands to the pricing anyways.

Would be no free lunch making LED's standard anytime soon.

legacy_etu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Mojave, 20 Supra, 16 Wrangler UNLTD,
You could make the same price point argument on almost any option should be standard. They have to draw the line somewhere to make a good, better or best offering on their models and price as such.

Starting in 2022, they made previous options now standard like the 7" radio in the Sport models and the 8.4" radio in the higher trims along with door proximity that just added multiple thousands to the pricing anyways.

Fair point. In this day and age though I’d say good visibilty at night is a priority. The other stuff, a larger radio, proximity is a nice to have.

Sponsored

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ

Honestly, with the cost of LEDs today, I'm pretty sure if you take the R&D costs you put into halogen/projector lamps and just do LEDs straight across the line, the cost increase would be minimal if anything at all.

It makes me think there's an alternative reason like performance in ice and snow or something but that's much less an issue compared to Jeeps.

Divided_Wood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Rubicon EcoDiesel
Fair point. In this day and age though I’d say good visibilty at night is a priority. The other stuff, a larger radio, proximity is a nice to have.
Agree. My 2018 JKUR came with stock LEDs and they were wonderful. I bought my JT off the lot and was surprised to learn that LEDs weren’t standard on the Rubicon or Mojave trim. I may add them at some point but it’s hard to spend $1k+ after the fact to retrofit a factory option.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
I see LED's being standard eventually and probably around either a new generation change or even possibly if their is a model refresh mid cycle.

It sort of reminds me of Toyota Tacoma's even until current having drum brakes in the rear when everybody else has long gone to disc brakes. There has to be some intrinsic paid off capital cost for them to keep drums around for rear brakes for as long as they have. Supposedly the next gen Tacoma's in 2024 will finally have rear disc brakes.

skiptheroad

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKUR 2017 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Occupation
Architect
I see LED's being standard eventually and probably around either a new generation change or even possibly if their is a model refresh mid cycle.

It sort of reminds me of Toyota Tacoma's even until current having drum brakes in the rear when everybody else has long gone to disc brakes. There has to be some intrinsic paid off capital cost for them to keep drums around for rear brakes for as long as they have. Supposedly the next gen Tacoma's in 2024 will finally have rear disc brakes.
Rear drum brakes are making a comeback in electric vehicles for various reasons.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Rear drum brakes are making a comeback in electric vehicles for various reasons.
Probably because there's no issue with rear drums on anything that isn't a performance vehicle. They're solid, proven tech and for something like a truck's rear or an EV where braking is barely needed, they're a great choice. People just associate rear discs on performance cars as universally "better" and want them in everything.
Sponsored