Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
If you think we won't get taxed another way (ie per mile basis) on EVs you're going to be sorely disappointed. Road maintenance $$$ need to come from somewhere. I fully expect EVs to have to disclose mileage to get new plate tags each year.
Eventually, diesel and gas will end up being phased out, very similarly to how it happened with leaded gas. And I firmly believe diesel will be first on the chopping block. People like to tout fuel economy with diesel, but itā€™s more polluting, so will be phased out sooner I believe. The battery ranges and charging infrastructure arenā€™t there yet, but battery ranges and quick charging are close. I agree that EVs will be taxed for road maintenance, but thatā€™s likely to be done in price per kilowatt of charging, just like price per gallon of combustible fuel. Expecting the IRS or states to tax people based on reported mileage of EVs isnā€™t scalable.
Sponsored

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
Just where do all the electric folks think the money is going to come from to build out this super grid you all are pipe dreaming about. It has already been discussed over and over that the grids cannot support such and building out that type of grid is so far off and there is no money for it. What is going to power this grid to charge your cars those windmills and solar panels ? Its a nice concept but putting the cart before the horse plan really isn't going to work.

Trickster

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT HA, 22 Volvo V60 CC, 76 Fiat 124,
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
A 240v charger shouldnā€™t cost you more than $500 or so to have one at home. Public charging is absolutely lacking, but almost all EV owners, including us, have plenty of range for the daily miles, and do our charging when we get home. Weā€™ve never once felt the need to use a public charger in order to have enough range. I laugh a bit when I see Tesla owners hanging out at the public chargers near the Starbucks. I think itā€™s more of a social thing for them, but I hate Teslaā€™s, so maybe Iā€™m biased.
$500?
Not in Canada.
Double that for the minimum.
If I get 3-400 kms of range out of an EV then I have to line up with the soon to be escalating ownership of other drivers just so I can sit and wait to plug in and then wait some more to charge.
I will tell you there is an opportunity out there for some kind of retail business to attach itself to the charging infrastructure. Perhaps gyms,
restaurants, etc. while you wait.:headbang:

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
Just where do all the electric folks think the money is going to come from to build out this super grid you all are pipe dreaming about. It has already been discussed over and over that the grids cannot support such and building out that type of grid is so far off and there is no money for it. What is going to power this grid to charge your cars those windmills and solar panels ? Its a nice concept but putting the cart before the horse plan really isn't going to work.
It's already been discussed over and over that the electric grid will have to be improved as electric vehicles become more common. You know, just like more gas stations had to built as gasoline vehicles became more common.

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
It's already been discussed over and over that the electric grid will have to be improved as electric vehicles become more common. You know, just like more gas stations had to built as gasoline vehicles became more common.
Exactly but there are no states actually planning on building out that type of grid anytime in the near future. You have the car manufacturers and government seeing dollars trying to roll out the EV before the support is there.

Sponsored

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
The infrastructure upgrades will take time, but are not pipe dreams. And yes, renewable energy sources ARE powerful enough to do it. It makes it tough when people complain about solar and wind farms, slowing down the process. Before anyone brings up wind farms hurting birds, more birds are killed by airplane strikes than wind turbines, every year.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Exactly but there are no states actually planning on building out that type of grid anytime in the near future. You have the car manufacturers and government seeing dollars trying to roll out the EV before the support is there.
Again, longer range batteries will allow further adoption before the public charging infrastructure is drastically increased. This is easily accomplished with owners charging at home. Solar panels on single family homes will also in many cases entirely offset the electricity for charging EVs. I say that from experience, having had two EVā€™s and solar on our roof before a recent move. Our electric bills in that modest ranch house averaged between 0 and 80 dollars per month, and that was in Florida, with A/C and an electric pool pump. Solar panels are on our very short list for our current house.

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
According to Stellantis the gme t6 went in to production november 22nd, shouldn't have long to wait to see it in action in that case.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Size wise, Wrangler/Gladiator wise, how does an I6 fit in the space designed around the V6?
Pretty big hood space. Should be reasonably easy to fit an inline 6. Theyā€™ve done it in similar hood spaces in Jeeps since 1976. :)

Sponsored

MrFahrenheit

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FC Red Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
It would be fine for 90% of my driving but the 10% is most of the reason I bought the JT
I think this is the idea right here but in the sense that a full EV would probably do 90% of the driving for most people and thatā€™s the group that manufacturers will cater to. Iā€™d love to know the solution for that 10% of driving we do though. Someone else had brought up the small displacement engine to charge the batteries. I always wondered why they never did a thing like the train locomotives where the Diesel engine just powers the electric motors that drive it.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I think this is the idea right here but in the sense that a full EV would probably do 90% of the driving for most people and thatā€™s the group that manufacturers will cater to. Iā€™d love to know the solution for that 10% of driving we do though. Someone else had brought up the small displacement engine to charge the batteries. I always wondered why they never did a thing like the train locomotives where the Diesel engine just powers the electric motors that drive it.
They have. The Chevy Volt was based on exactly that. When the approximately 40 miles of range was exhausted, the 1.2L 4 cylinder turned on and acted as a generator. The gas engine never provided propulsion, ever. Only electric propulsion. It just provided battery charge. It was a very nice drivetrain.

MrFahrenheit

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FC Red Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
They have. The Chevy Volt was based on exactly that. When the approximately 40 miles of range was exhausted, the 1.2L 4 cylinder turned on and acted as a generator. The gas engine never provided propulsion, ever. Only electric propulsion. It just provided battery charge. It was a very nice drivetrain.
Ahh cool! I didn't realize that's the way the volt operated. I thought it was the more typical hybrid model.

Caraholic

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
81ā€™ Cherokee,20' GMC AT4, ā€˜18 4Runner, cross-trek
Occupation
professional big dumb animal.........
I am wondering if Stellantis is a bit late to the party with this.
While the vast majority of manufacturers moving forward with full blown EVs, they are still developing gassers. There will be a niche market for diehard fans of ICE vehicles, but will the demand be worth it?
Living in my environment where today it is -41C outside, I am definitely not onboard with todays electric technology. In our town of 32,000 people there is a total of 3 accessible EV chargers to the public.
As I sit there for how long to ā€˜fuelā€™ up? Pass.
I think thereā€™s room for both because until we expand electricity generation we could never be full ev fleets anyhow. Moot point since we can only supply to a 10% ev national fleet.

but on this newsā€¦

*****###I LOVE ME A I6!!!****###
dreams do come true. Even if gimmicky mouse isnā€™t responsible for it!!

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Ahh cool! I didn't realize that's the way the volt operated. I thought it was the more typical hybrid model.
Yeah. I owned two of them, and most everyone assumed it was a hybrid. It was actually an extended range electric. I canā€™t wait for that type of drivetrain to hit a true SUV. As I see it, the main problem with Jeepā€™s 4xE drivetrain is that it is hybrid. When you run on pure electric mode, the crank on the ICE still needs to rotate. Bad design in my humble opinion, and what makes it necessary to run the ICE so often. If it was designed as an electric drivetrain with a 4 cylinder as a generator, true electric would be workable at very high speeds, with zero range anxiety when charge is exhausted on longer drives.
Sponsored