First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2016 Indian Springfield
Occupation
Retired and loving it
I just bought a V8 again two weeks ago, plan to keep it forever just because I figure they'll be sought after 5 years from now.
If they’re even legal by then. You never know what these out of control fruitcakes are going to do next. . .
Sponsored

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
Not sure I agree. I've had V8 trucks from GM, Ford, and Ram. This Toyota 5.7 feels stronger than them all. The only one close was the Ford 5.0 Coyote engine. It's also getting 15 MPG in my weekly commuting which is higher than everybody said it would do. Did I mention it has true dual stainless exhaust running all the way to the muffler? Or that it sounds like heaven? Bonus points when you scroll through the Tundra forums and see guys with 300,000 or 700,000 miles on them all original.

The new 3.5TT will never EVER have the longevity or wonderful exhaust note of the 5.7.
Yeah it is a good sounding engine, had one for 10 years, bought new in ‘10 traded for the JT in ‘20. AIP is a horrible system on the 5.7 and they have had cam tower oil leaks from ‘07-‘21 which is pretty ridiculous, neither is an easy or inexpensive fix.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I am wondering if Stellantis is a bit late to the party with this.
While the vast majority of manufacturers moving forward with full blown EVs, they are still developing gassers. There will be a niche market for diehard fans of ICE vehicles, but will the demand be worth it?
Living in my environment where today it is -41C outside, I am definitely not onboard with todays electric technology. In our town of 32,000 people there is a total of 3 accessible EV chargers to the public.
As I sit there for how long to ‘fuel’ up? Pass.
A 240v charger shouldn’t cost you more than $500 or so to have one at home. Public charging is absolutely lacking, but almost all EV owners, including us, have plenty of range for the daily miles, and do our charging when we get home. We’ve never once felt the need to use a public charger in order to have enough range. I laugh a bit when I see Tesla owners hanging out at the public chargers near the Starbucks. I think it’s more of a social thing for them, but I hate Tesla’s, so maybe I’m biased.

Sponsored

redrider

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1 truck 5 motorcycles
Less displacement is some how going to be better? Turbo lag any one? Hey Stellantis, cut the crap and build a 4.5 litre Pentastar that has stump pulling torque down low and does not need to rev out like a sportbike just to "make" horsepower.

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
So do EV work like my golf cart with expensive batteries. I get in it and boom it goes in a flash. I put 4 fat people on it and boom it goes like a flash but 15 minutes later they are all getting a good workout by pushing it back (LOL)

Bonanza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Max Tow Punk'n
By "yesterday" you mean the last 125 years, right? ICE hasn't been around this long without reason. There isn't a better way. I wouldn't bank on full electric in whichever vehicle you want anytime soon.
Yes. I mean exactly that. Yesterday's technology. ICE engines are pitifully efficient-- about 36%. ICE tech has been used for so long because a huge amount of market manipulation ensured it to be. I am sick and tired of gassing up a 15 mpg vehicle. I hate giving my money to pay the litany of fees, excises, taxes, duties, etc. for every drop of gas. Full electric can't come fast enough.

Rivian's truck for instance-- that's the future. Gasoline engines have had their time, and like incandescent light bulbs... it's time to phase them out. I want a motor at each wheel, tank turn, crab walk, the rest of it. The golden age of offroad isn't even here yet, just you watch. Jeep is smart to try to embrace it quickly with 4xE and the magneto concepts. If they stuck to gas engines, might as well call them Blockbuster or Sears.

JRobes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S Max Tow, 2004 WJ Overland
Occupation
Enginerd
Yes. I mean exactly that. Yesterday's technology. ICE engines are pitifully efficient-- about 36%. ICE tech has been used for so long because a huge amount of market manipulation ensured it to be. I am sick and tired of gassing up a 15 mpg vehicle. I hate giving my money to pay the litany of fees, excises, taxes, duties, etc. for every drop of gas. Full electric can't come fast enough.
If you think we won't get taxed another way (ie per mile basis) on EVs you're going to be sorely disappointed. Road maintenance $$$ need to come from somewhere. I fully expect EVs to have to disclose mileage to get new plate tags each year.

Sponsored

TwelveSoldier

First Name
J T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator and Wrangler
If we could rely on electronic propulsion for our vehicles to operate and a smaller displacement to help charge the batteries for better range then I'm all for it. So why not just have a hydrogen fueled small displacement paired to some batteries? At least you can carry some spare fuel on the trail for when your battery is dead. Common petroleum may be on the way out, but a case for hydrogen or natural gas or some other alternatives are justified. Honda gets it and Toyota too, they sell hydrogen fueled vehicles in certain areas already. But a 0-60 time on hyrdrogen alone is slow, but pair that up with some batteries and your options are almost endless.

Bonanza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Max Tow Punk'n
If you think we won't get taxed another way (ie per mile basis) on EVs you're going to be sorely disappointed. Road maintenance $$$ need to come from somewhere. I fully expect EVs to have to disclose mileage to get new plate tags each year.
Think that won't happen to gas/diesel too? Think again. Think they'll impose a new tax on gas and then lower the tax on gasoline? Think again, again.

EV still comes out ahead, without money going to the middle east.

RodRecket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 AEV JT370
A 240v charger shouldn’t cost you more than $500 or so to have one at home. Public charging is absolutely lacking, but almost all EV owners, including us, have plenty of range for the daily miles, and do our charging when we get home. We’ve never once felt the need to use a public charger in order to have enough range. I laugh a bit when I see Tesla owners hanging out at the public chargers near the Starbucks. I think it’s more of a social thing for them, but I hate Tesla’s, so maybe I’m biased.
I think you are mostly right. I like the Rivian truck but 1. can't afford it and 2. cant use it as the offroad/camping machine I want it to be. Most trips I go on has a couple of 8 hour driving days followed by making camp. Some days are completely offroad. How do you charge then? It would be fine for 90% of my driving but the 10% is most of the reason I bought the JT

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
I just bought a V8 again two weeks ago, plan to keep it forever just because I figure they'll be sought after 5 years from now.
I followed a similar line of thinking but bought another Porsche instead. Specifically a 2016 Spyder. This beauty puts out 375 HP in a mid engine configuration in a very light car (~ 2960#). The sound is absolutely amazing and can keep up with just about anything and pass most if I want.
Porsche for the next generation went woke (as many European manufacturers are doing and decided to put a turbo flat 4 cylinder in their mid engine Porsches…it went over like a lead ballon especially when it was discovered that they were piping in sound just like BMW’s do. The revolt was so strong that Porsche decided to install a 4L flat 6 back into their higher performance line but with new noise regulations the car is about 300 pounds heavier and doesn’t sound as raw on WOT. So my ‘16 can easily keep up with them if they choose to try 😎.

Here she is..

Jeep Gladiator 3.0L "Tornado" Straight-Six Engine (GME T6) Coming to Various Jeep Models C1C289C0-567A-4B3D-A8DD-67DCE551A822

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I think you are mostly right. I like the Rivian truck but 1. can't afford it and 2. cant use it as the offroad/camping machine I want it to be. Most trips I go on has a couple of 8 hour driving days followed by making camp. Some days are completely offroad. How do you charge then? It would be fine for 90% of my driving but the 10% is most of the reason I bought the JT
Jeep still doesn’t have a good solution. Couldn’t agree more regarding the Rivian. It’s probably amazing, but not for long trips as it’s pure electric. We have our JTR as one of our daily drivers and our off-road/over landing/camping rig. Our other vehicle is a plug-in hybrid SUV (not Jeep). Pure electric for normal daily miles, and we recharge daily in 2-3 hours. Longer trips allow us to use gas. Until ranges are expanded to around double of todays best pure electric ranges, plug-in hybrid will allow the best flexibility. It shouldn’t be long though. I’d expect ranges to double in less than 5 years, if not faster. Charging infrastructure is the larger problem, so I think battery technology advances will allow more adoption before charging expansion does.
Sponsored