Sponsored

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
Eventually, diesel and gas will end up being phased out, very similarly to how it happened with leaded gas. And I firmly believe diesel will be first on the chopping block. People like to tout fuel economy with diesel, but it’s more polluting, so will be phased out sooner I believe. The battery ranges and charging infrastructure aren’t there yet, but battery ranges and quick charging are close. I agree that EVs will be taxed for road maintenance, but that’s likely to be done in price per kilowatt of charging, just like price per gallon of combustible fuel. Expecting the IRS or states to tax people based on reported mileage of EVs isn’t scalable.
FYI almost all commercial transport runs on diesel and that isn't going to change any time, ev can't compete in range, power or convince needed for commercial demands. If diesel was so easy to get rid of, commercial fleets would have gone gas a long time ago. And let's not forget industrial equipment and construction equipment, it's hard to plug in when the plot of land you are working is undeveloped.

Diesel is here for a long time, it will likely be phased out for consumer grade stuff where it is already in niche market. Better go get a cdl if you want to burn some oil in the future.
Sponsored

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
FYI almost all commercial transport runs on diesel and that isn't going to change any time, ev can't compete in range, power or convince needed for commercial demands. If diesel was so easy to get rid of, commercial fleets would have gone gas a long time ago. And let's not forget industrial equipment and construction equipment, it's hard to plug in when the plot of land you are working is undeveloped.

Diesel is here for a long time, it will likely be phased out for consumer grade stuff where it is already in niche market. Better go get a cdl if you want to burn some oil in the future.
No one said it would be easy. Change is hard, but necessary. Of course personal vehicles will be first. Of course construction equipment will take time. But your statement that it will never change is very unlikely to be true. Of the people here that seem to hate the idea of EVs, how many have driven one? I am a person that won’t drive a vehicle that isn’t fun to drive. I like driving, as I’m guessing many of us do. They are fun to drive.

stil2low

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Occupation
Steel plant
The infrastructure upgrades will take time, but are not pipe dreams. And yes, renewable energy sources ARE powerful enough to do it. It makes it tough when people complain about solar and wind farms, slowing down the process. Before anyone brings up wind farms hurting birds, more birds are killed by airplane strikes than wind turbines, every year.
The infrastructure is horribly outdated, and in need of desperate repair. It will take years before they catch up with repairs let alone upgrades. Plus the costs now involved with the soaring prices of our steel. Only a few mills make grain oriented steel that is used for transformers, majority of them up here in Canada and couple in Mexico. Fingers crossed they don’t try the tariff thing again, although it did make us a lot of money here

also we probably kill more birds making the steel for the windmills than the windmills themselves too haha

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
I am not that worried, I'll be dead or to old to drive before we get to that point. I am not opposed to ev just the proselytization and the tell me what to do mentality . Ev in its current state or its near future state does not cover everyone's needs.

Last edited:

abnormal 4x4

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai
Last edited:

Sponsored

Lateralus

Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
I think most of us will have to move to large cities and live in large housing complexes that are efficiently ran to minimize energy consumed day to day. We will have to eliminate air conditioning as well if we are serious about saving the planet.

Caraholic

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
81’ Cherokee,20' GMC AT4, ‘18 4Runner, cross-trek
Occupation
professional big dumb animal.........
Just where do all the electric folks think the money is going to come from to build out this super grid you all are pipe dreaming about. It has already been discussed over and over that the grids cannot support such and building out that type of grid is so far off and there is no money for it. What is going to power this grid to charge your cars those windmills and solar panels ? Its a nice concept but putting the cart before the horse plan really isn't going to work.
There might be money some utilities didn’t have corruption in their DNA. See for reference California PUC president and PGE ceo inappropriate relationships…. not all are quite like this I’m sure but pge sure is special

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
I think most of us will have to move to large cities and live in large housing complexes that are efficiently ran to minimize energy consumed day to day. We will have to eliminate air conditioning as well if we are serious about saving the planet.
If that is the case no AC then you would just have to say that the entire southern US would be unlivable to most. I personally like the heat but I know a large number of people who would not survive without A/C when its touching 110 regularly.

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There might be money some utilities didn’t have corruption in their DNA. See for reference California PUC president and PGE ceo inappropriate relationships…. not all are quite like this I’m sure but pge sure is special
They all got their hands in the cookie jar.

Caraholic

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
81’ Cherokee,20' GMC AT4, ‘18 4Runner, cross-trek
Occupation
professional big dumb animal.........

Sponsored

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Would be nice if they came out with engine kit that previous purchasers could get for affordable price and drop into the truck but guessing the inner workings wouldn't match up

legacy_etu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Mojave, 20 Supra, 16 Wrangler UNLTD,
Would be nice if they came out with engine kit that previous purchasers could get for affordable price and drop into the truck but guessing the inner workings wouldn't match up
I suspect this will be coming. I mean, Chevy and Ford are offering an ev repower kit already.

Wheelin98TJ

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Bean Counter
Way too much work to swap a 6 for another 6 that you could buy installed in the vehicle you're swapping it into.

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Way too much work to swap a 6 for another 6 that you could buy installed in the vehicle you're swapping it into.
Sorry was meaning something like a different engine with a bit more power but since they are phasing out the Hemi it seems
Sponsored