Sponsored

BowlofSoup

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
I actually love that it's coming out soon/soonish. I'd never buy a new engine, so by the time everything is worked out and it becomes (hopefully) a reliable engine, I'll be needing an upgrade.

Though by then autonomous may be more common/safe and if that's the case I'll choose naps in my vehicle while it takes me places
Sponsored

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
Color me skeptical. I will believe it when I see the new Tornado engine installed in a vehicle for sale on a dealer lot.

Reactions: Mac

Pedal Metal

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator, 1975 Camaro, 1973 Beetle
Occupation
Analyst
Turbo lag is a non issue. It’s actually the opposite Look at the torque curves of these modern turbos like the TT V6s in the Ford and Toyota. Hell, my 2.0t Audi made maximum torque at 1500 RPM and held it to the redline. I loved that engine…
Prior to August I drove a Ford XLT supercrew with a 3.5 eco boost and I would say that I certainly experienced a lag In certain conditions. IMO, they make a better engine for highway as your engine is already operating at higher rpms and you have more lane to run out the exhaust driven turbo generated boost when you opened the throttle. However, i found that the same engine was unideal in stop and got traffic as the minor event of passing someone in traffic required opening the throttle enough to engage the exhaust driven turbo to spool up and create enough aiding boost to create the addition power needed to slightly overtake another car, but by that time I’ve passed the car and now the turbo is engaged and I have very little need for additional power which felt like engine braking after I let out off of the throttle. Grant it, that this all happens very fast, but to someone who has driven larger and blown v8 engines, I notice a difference and I call that lag. So, in my final analysis, I‘d prefer a larger naturally aspirated engine to a smaller turbo charged for my mostly around town driving where I am not pulling a load. However, I’d completely agree that a turbo certainly has merit on the highway or for pulling a load.
As for cost, I would add that one should likely consider a turbo as part of their exhaust system as they wear out as such and to my knowledge there is no core on most. So, one might want to factor that additional carrying cost along with the purchase cost.
I’ll note that I recently read this shoot out comparison of the Raptor to the Trx and even though the writers state that both truck are well built rigs which were put under harsh testing, they clearly connect the dots that there’s no replacement for displacement.
Just my $.02’s.
https://www.caranddriver.com/review...1500-trx-vs-2020-ford-f-150-raptor-supercrew/

Caraholic

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
81’ Cherokee,20' GMC AT4, ‘18 4Runner, cross-trek
Occupation
professional big dumb animal.........
I think most of us will have to move to large cities and live in large housing complexes that are efficiently ran to minimize energy consumed day to day. We will have to eliminate air conditioning as well if we are serious about saving the planet.
Large cities are the problem sir. It’s a giant heat sink- nothing but asphalt streets, black alphalt covered roofs and pollution concentration. I absolutely couldn’t disagree any more.

texanjeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport-S Granite Crystal Metallic
Occupation
I.T.
I'd usually be happy with this kind of news but in today's climate it means we're losing V8s
The writing is on the wall....if you want a V-8 after 2022, well, Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge may not be for you.

Sponsored

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
Prior to August I drove a Ford XLT supercrew with a 3.5 eco boost and I would say that I certainly experienced a lag In certain conditions. IMO, they make a better engine for highway as your engine is already operating at higher rpms and you have more lane to run out the exhaust driven turbo generated boost when you opened the throttle. However, i found that the same engine was unideal in stop and got traffic as the minor event of passing someone in traffic required opening the throttle enough to engage the exhaust driven turbo to spool up and create enough aiding boost to create the addition power needed to slightly overtake another car, but by that time I’ve passed the car and now the turbo is engaged and I have very little need for additional power which felt like engine braking after I let out off of the throttle. Grant it, that this all happens very fast, but to someone who has driven larger and blown v8 engines, I notice a difference and I call that lag. So, in my final analysis, I‘d prefer a larger naturally aspirated engine to a smaller turbo charged for my mostly around town driving where I am not pulling a load. However, I’d completely agree that a turbo certainly has merit on the highway or for pulling a load.
As for cost, I would add that one should likely consider a turbo as part of their exhaust system as they wear out as such and to my knowledge there is no core on most. So, one might want to factor that additional carrying cost along with the purchase cost.
I’ll note that I recently read this shoot out comparison of the Raptor to the Trx and even though the writers state that both truck are well built rigs which were put under harsh testing, they clearly connect the dots that there’s no replacement for displacement.
Just my $.02’s.
https://www.caranddriver.com/review...1500-trx-vs-2020-ford-f-150-raptor-supercrew/
If the charge air cooler (CAC) is air-water, then I’d expect lag to be much improved vs a front mount CAC like the Ford EB uses. While rather underwhelming with the Pentastar and Hemi, e-torque could farther help.

Wheelin98TJ

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Bean Counter
Just my $.02’s.
It was pretty easy for me to pick the 5.0 after driving the 2.7, 3.5, and 5.0.

Sponsored

Trippin01

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX450h, 23' Supra
Occupation
Deputy Sheriff & Retired Army
Vehicle Showcase
I'm all for a; lighter, stronger, better MPG, gas engine. If HP was the same with better MPG's, that would be acceptable, but a little more HP with the same MPG's and range, is not worth looking at to me. I'm glad everything is up for discussion when it comes to improving gas engines, even tho I'm a bit leery of 1st Gen introductions (like the 4xe, which Is a off-roading disappointment to me). That said, the evolution of FCA power plants has always seemed to come across, at least to me, as a slow methodical move by Jeep engineers (even with the hiccups of the ECO Diesel) This is one I'll keep my eye on. Any new, cleaner, more dependable & powerful gas engine in vehicles that prioritizes off-road use, would be greatly appreciated, especially if it was accompanied by a new President & Congress that embraces lower fuel/energy prices, IMO.

Challenger85

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21’ Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Electrical
Yes. I mean exactly that. Yesterday's technology. ICE engines are pitifully efficient-- about 36%. ICE tech has been used for so long because a huge amount of market manipulation ensured it to be. I am sick and tired of gassing up a 15 mpg vehicle. I hate giving my money to pay the litany of fees, excises, taxes, duties, etc. for every drop of gas. Full electric can't come fast enough.

Rivian's truck for instance-- that's the future. Gasoline engines have had their time, and like incandescent light bulbs... it's time to phase them out. I want a motor at each wheel, tank turn, crab walk, the rest of it. The golden age of offroad isn't even here yet, just you watch. Jeep is smart to try to embrace it quickly with 4xE and the magneto concepts. If they stuck to gas engines, might as well call them Blockbuster or Sears.
Lol Californians are so easy to spot online. It’s cute you think electrical will be cheaper 😂 once gasoline is gone *poof* magically cheaper, nobody will be looking to take advantage of that market.

It's already been discussed over and over that the electric grid will have to be improved as electric vehicles become more common. You know, just like more gas stations had to built as gasoline vehicles became more common.
Lol yeah, because building a fuel center is akin to building an electrical grid. 👍🏻 Also ignoring the fact those fuel centers have been being built for the last 20+ years.

ArmyMP

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Diesel Gladiator Rubicon "Betsy"
Occupation
Veteran
Bring on the I can't go to work due to rolling blackouts. Shucks we are 4th inline for power this week, I'll just have to reschedule that heart transplant I was supposed to do.

EV = energy nightmare.

Loose Nut

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
Occupation
Retail franchise
They will find a way to get your gas tax dollars as electric takes over.
Sponsored