First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Willys
Occupation
Retired bum
My 22 Willys came with 255 MT tires, I went with a set of 285 BFG AT on a set of Rubicon wheels and installed a Teraflex 1.5 leveling on the front. The tires were within a few pounds each of the 255 that came on it. I changed the tire size with the Tazer and the speedometer is dead on the money.
I hated the factory MT tires from day one (noise) All summed up, I notice no difference in fuel it is still 17 mpg local, power seems the same to me. It holds 8 gear as it should, braking is the same.
Do your homework on tire weight before pulling the trigger on tires.
Sponsored

ShrimpHappens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Sport S
Do your homework on tire weight before pulling the trigger on tires.
Yep. I was surprised to see that the OEM 285/70R17 load C Falkens are 64lbs each. I just ordered the Toyo A/T III in that same spec at 55lbs.

The Toyo A/T III is only 50lbs in 255/80R17 (33"x10"), but it's only load range E and I'm scared of the ride quality.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
What difference did you notice, Overlands don't have them. Thanks.
I could feel more drag and wind resistance plus I dropped about 1.5mpg over about 2 to 3 weeks of driving it. I was averaging around 18.9 mpg before removing them and afterwards I was at about 17.5, that's with BFG KO2 35's, about a 50/50 mix of Hwy and City driving. After adding the bumpers front and rear and winch, which the bumper closed that gap back up again pretty much between the fenders and bumper, I jumped back up to 18.7 over about 2 weeks of driving, same mix. I also noticed considerably less wind resistance when the gap was closed back up.

ScottBeach

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator sport s
Occupation
Engineer
Thanks my 2020 has the wind damns still on. I need to put them in a box to be found in 50 years as some "great find" by someone doing a full restoration in 2072.

Sponsored

MrZappo

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Computer Consultant
Its NOT just the weight ... Its the CIRCUMFERANCE difference ... That is what is harder to turn and brake and what puts the load on steering components ... It is a lot more of a factor than the weight ...

To have no difference in gas mileage, feel, braking, or wear is not possible ... Laws of physics and such ...

Getting used to it over time yep ... No actual measurable difference ? Nope ...

Liftr

First Name
Duran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S
Occupation
Aviation
I have a 2020 Sport S, 3.73 gears, with Rubicon takeoff suspension and 33” MT. I also have a mid width bumper and winch. You can see the air gap between bumper and fender.
I average 16 mpg. I drive like an old man, and routinely see all 8 gears. But, I wasn’t happy with the throttle response.
The best thing I did was to add a Pedal Commander and regained the response and feel I wanted.

Jeep Gladiator 33" tire weight with 3.73 gears JT sport CBE9AA13-9C38-45B3-9FA9-6A5DB089A8D3
Jeep Gladiator 33" tire weight with 3.73 gears JT sport 7EC908E8-9780-4FF5-B491-3B1917B80B17

redriderjf87

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
saltmustflow.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 JT, '81 Z-28, '18 TW200, '72 CT 175
Occupation
Electrical Controls Engineer
There's a reason modern cars have 8 speed autos and not 4 speeds.

3.73 is already too tall to efficiently use all the available gears with the 3.6 in a Gladiator on stock tires. Taller tires will just further reduce the number of available gears.

Not saying it can't be done though.

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
I ran 33s on my Sport with 3.73 and zero issues.
Once I got to 35s....I went to 4.88 within a week. In Colorado. May be livable in Florida.
Now on 37s.

New JT sport owner here and like most, I am interested in adding a more stout looking set of wheels and tires.

A local shop is saying that 3.73 gears are totally fine with 33, 35, and even 37" tires without a re-gear.

But that doesn't seem to be the case with everything I am reading online.

I'm not going on any crazy trails, it's more of a commuter and ideally I'd like to maintain a decent mileage with this upgrade.

Can anyone shed some light on wheel / tire packages for a stock 3.73 sport and light weight A/T tires?

Is it reasonable to do this upgrade without re-gearing or will it potentially cause issues down the road?

I know that this has been brought up a handful of times but any pictures and insights of your setup will be appreciated!
Sponsored