First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21’ Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Electrical
Xtreme recon was already a poor answer to Sasquatch. Only Rubicon automatic 4drs first, then barely expanded to willys automatic 4drs? Please. It's a joke. If xtreme ever comes to gladiators, it'll be the same restrictions. Automatic only. Rubi and willys only.

Also why stop at 8 inch wide rims? Would 8.5s really have been that hard? Jeep doesn't even want to try to touch the value of a base 2dr bronco sasquatch, and I don't understand why. Maybe once Ford stops fucking up their entire production line and demand and supply are more in line, jeep might have to answer for someone eating their lunch. For now? Ford as a threat is a whisper on the edge of hearing. But eventually growing pains and supply constraints will pass.

As for the 392, it's too rich for my blood. If someone can explain why a v8 is a $3000 option on a ram and a $30000 option on a wrangler, I'm all ears. Is the extra 27k the special intake?
Lol someone tried to argue with me about the Wrangler 392 one day. His argument was, “it’s a 60K Jeep with the 392 and upgraded axles etc, it’s worth the price.” I just said had to say do you really think FCA builds you a Wrangler and than tears it apart to add the upgrades? You’re not buying a 60K Jeep before it’s upgraded, it’s built from the ground up. It’s a 65K Jeep with a 20K premium because they can.
Sponsored

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Lol someone tried to argue with me about the Wrangler 392 one day. His argument was, “it’s a 60K Jeep with the 392 and upgraded axles etc, it’s worth the price.” I just said had to say do you really think FCA builds you a Wrangler and than tears it apart to add the upgrades? You’re not buying a 60K Jeep before it’s upgraded, it’s built from the ground up. It’s a 65K Jeep with a 20K premium because they can.
Let people who think it's worth the price think what they want. Hell, even a cummins in a 2500 is only $9600, and thats a serious fucking engine. As someone pointed out, comparing a stock rubi to a rubi 392 isn't a fair comparison, as the 392 is loaded and it's less than 30k for the engine. So i went back and redid my math. It's 19k over a loaded rubi. Well let's see, 19k for a 392 vs 9.6k for a cummins? the 392 isn't worth 19k.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
That's why we will see a 4xe Gladiator and probably nothing else. It will take a change in administration and policy before the less economical options are offered.
That won't even do it anymore. Manufacturing is not a spur of the moment thing and there's too much risk with the next administration making changes mid-cycle. We're more or less locked into a political cycle of alternating the status quo and tightening regulations - nobody is going to roll back emissions regulations because it's a losing move and nobody understands what CAFE is all about anyway.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
A Gladiator 4xE would solve some of the CAFE issues, so that's my bet.
100%, and it's the best move going forward. Average Jeep isn't what it was 10 years ago and electric/hybrid platforms are ideal for daily drivers where range isn't as much an issue.

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Kia Cadenza, 2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S
They already said the Inline 6 would be a hybrid platform as well . So it won't be the 2.0 they use 🤷‍♂️
Actually they confirmed the exact opposite stating the Hurricane would not be mated with any vehicle as a hybrid (a plug-in hybrid at least).

Per Mopar Insiders:
" The cancelation of the Hurricane PHEV also means that will not be available in any of the upcoming muscle car offerings from the Dodge brand as well. Dodge will introduce its first PHEV vehicle later this year with the all-new Dodge Hornet C-SUV. That vehicle will use a very similar setup to the Compass 4xe PHEV, taking advantage of a turbocharged 1.3-liter four-cylinder and a 15.5-kWh lithium-ion battery to be able to provide around 30 miles of pure electric range and allow a fuel-efficient four-cylinder to recharge the system and complete those long drives. "

https://[Banned Site]/there-will-not-be-a-hurricane-plug-in-hybrid-after-all/

Sponsored

Challenger85

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21’ Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Electrical
Let people who think it's worth the price think what they want. Hell, even a cummins in a 2500 is only $9600, and thats a serious fucking engine. As someone pointed out, comparing a stock rubi to a rubi 392 isn't a fair comparison, as the 392 is loaded and it's less than 30k for the engine. So i went back and redid my math. It's 19k over a loaded rubi. Well let's see, 19k for a 392 vs 9.6k for a cummins? the 392 isn't worth 19k.
Exactly. I had a loaded scat pack with a 392 and that was 50K in 2019. No way the Jeep is worth 35K more. The 392 crate engine is only 8K. But it’s a Jeep so FCA knows people will buy it.

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Kia Cadenza, 2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S
The 392 is based on a loaded Rubicon, not a base Rubicon. So the V8 is not a 30k option. Its closer to a 15k option (still a lot, but not nearly what the aftermarket charges for a 6.4 conversion).
Ya but you also get a lot more than just the engine. From what I was reading on the JL forums the last few weeks it also has upgraded brakes, thicker metals in the frame, more HD components, and a slew of other things that aren't advertised but do add up quite a bit. It's not just an engine and wheels, there's a lot more going on there than meets the eye. They didn't just slap and V8 onto the existing frame and call it a day.

Victoryrider78

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Sales / Operations Support
A 5.7 vs a Pentastar is the difference between effortless power and the need to drop 2 gears to pass someone on the highway.

The 5.7 is not a beast. its just ENOUGH.

But unfortunately we won't get it because of CAFE.

We have lots of other stupid stuff b because of CAFE. 2 ridiculous batteries. Front axle disconnect. All stupid fragile crap in the name of scraping up another .25 mpg.

It can be an 'efficient' engine though its not a beast. I had 3 Rams, 4 if you count my 05, all with Hemis. They ran great, all the power that I would ever need, and once you pair them with the 8 spd, they got the same fuel mileage as my Pentastar.

No no, I understand, It will never happen from the factory. BUT if it did... you could imagine what it would be like.

Jeep Gladiator 392 and Xtreme Recon Gladiator not happening; but 4xe likely... 1650628529475

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
Nobody is bitching about the value of the XR. They are bitching that its only available on very limited spec Jeeps.

In contrast you can get the Sasquatch on ANY bronco. Including the base truck. (BaseSquatch) so for less than 40k, you get
35s
Beadlock capable wheels
4.88 gears
Fancy Bilstein shocks
Front and rear lockers
A small lift.

Its a steal. If they would make XR available on the Sport. It would sell gazillions.
That would have been great if I could have gotten that affordably on my JT when I bought it.

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
100%, and it's the best move going forward. Average Jeep isn't what it was 10 years ago and electric/hybrid platforms are ideal for daily drivers where range isn't as much an issue.
If it got about 100 miles or so on electric would be perfect for me since my commute 2 days a week is 100 miles

Sponsored

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Ya but you also get a lot more than just the engine. From what I was reading on the JL forums the last few weeks it also has upgraded brakes, thicker metals in the frame, more HD components, and a slew of other things that aren't advertised but do add up quite a bit. It's not just an engine and wheels, there's a lot more going on there than meets the eye. They didn't just slap and V8 onto the existing frame and call it a day.
Exceptions to manufacturing are always expensive. The added parts are probably just the towing brakes from the JT and things like that but the frame reinforcements and all are definitely something that either required retooling or manual work and at such a small scale, that's $$$.

DailyMoparGuy

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S 3.6L
Occupation
Engineer
I think everyone here can at least agree that Jeep is price gouging the shit of the 392 upgrade purely off brand name. Pretty ridiculous but they’re playing the market and consumers are biting.

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
392 Wrangler is insanely overpriced. My 2021 Ram Tradesman Power Wagon(392 8sp) was slightly more than half the MSRP for a 392 Wrangler.

I'll wait on the TT I6 (hurricane or typhoon or monsoon or whatever they call it)

After watching my friend and coworker try to resolve the self digesting cam phasers in his Raptor, hearing the repeated lies and dodging repairs (and he is far from alone)there is absolutely no way I would buy a Bronco of any kind. FCA/Stellantis has been less than 100% responsive to problems in some cases and certainly needs improvement. Ford sucks ass on a whole new level, those cam phasers were a problem from day one, they lied about it, obfuscated the problem, denied the problem and passed the expense of poor design and manufacturing quality directly onto their customer. You would have to be a complete idiot to sign up for that.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If it got about 100 miles or so on electric would be perfect for me since my commute 2 days a week is 100 miles
But even if it was 60 miles pure electric, you'd end up with 4 miles on gas. At roughly 30 mpg, not an unreasonable number for a hybrid, you would burn about 1.25 gallons per day.

Still not bad.

Remember that plug in hybrids operate as traditional hybrids once the battery is depleted. It charges on regenerative braking and then assists when accelerating.

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I could live with 50 if my company would put in a few charger options. I know some of them have electric cars but they all live within about 20-25 miles of the office.
Sponsored