Sponsored

5% under invoice is currently the best deal?

OP
OP
KDR83

KDR83

First Name
Krystian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Gladiator Rubicon
Since I'm "special ordering", I'm finding it hard to negotiate anything other then MSRP. It's like since I'm not really taking anything off the lot that's already there, what's their incentive to sell it lower then MSRP? How are you guys getting around that?
That is why I'm getting the deal under invoice, because I am special ordering. Its easier to get better pricing on custom orders than Jeeps off the lot.
Sponsored

Inspector

First Name
james
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator JT Overland
Occupation
Inspector
Who in Texas is doing 5% under invoice if you have it built? locations and names please. Specifically if its in the houston/ san antonio/ austin areas.

kayakmike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Granite Crystal Metallic Launch Edition
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Rocket Scientist

PsyRN

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 StingGray JTR, 2016 Bonneville T120 Black
That is why I'm getting the deal under invoice, because I am special ordering. Its easier to get better pricing on custom orders than Jeeps off the lot.
how is that? what's the incentive for the dealership?

HTXGladiator

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2014 HD XL1200X
Vehicle Showcase
Who in Texas is doing 5% under invoice if you have it built? locations and names please. Specifically if its in the houston/ san antonio/ austin areas.
I just ordered mine at Helfman DCJR in Katy and it was 3% under.

Sponsored

rvillano8188

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n JT Rubi, 2018 VW Tiguan SEL
Occupation
Financial Services
There are other bonuses/incentives they hit. Plus possibility to finance your deal, get your service contract, add accessories, warranty, etc.

There are many possibilities to make a buck for them.

OP
OP
KDR83

KDR83

First Name
Krystian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Gladiator Rubicon
Pretty sure sold orders don't count against their allocation so for them even if they make $500 on the truck, it's essential $500 they made for paperwork, no worries about it taking up room on their lot or overhead from storing it.

PsyRN

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 StingGray JTR, 2016 Bonneville T120 Black
Pretty sure sold orders don't count against their allocation so for them even if they make $500 on the truck, it's essential $500 they made for paperwork, no worries about it taking up room on their lot or overhead from storing it.
This is all good to know. I'm not good at "wheeling-n-dealing", but it gives me a little something to keep in mind as I start the process.

spazzyfry123

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR (Sold) - Now Land Cruiser
Occupation
ME
I figured it to be the opposite of this? Wouldn’t they want to move their inventory?

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram TRX, 2020 Gladiator LE
Vehicle Showcase
I figured it to be the opposite of this? Wouldn’t they want to move their inventory?
Suckers, impulse buyers, people with more money than sense...the reasons go on and on as to why inventory exists. It gets people on the lot.

For the old-timers, once upon a time, dealers only placed orders for customers. Back in the day cars on the lot were fully loaded demo vehicles that the dealership owner, #1 salesperson or the owner's kids drove.

Sponsored

DenverGladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ stock, manual, over-sized tires, soft top, half doors
This is all good to know. I'm not good at "wheeling-n-dealing", but it gives me a little something to keep in mind as I start the process.
If you are special ordering, there is no reason you have to go to a specific dealer. Their incentive to deal with you is like someone else mentioned, if they make $500 off you, it's $500 more than they would have made if you ordered from another dealer down the street. It's different if you are buying off the lot. That inventory is allotted to them, so if they only make $500 on a sale, they are missing out on potentially $1000s more they could have made selling that same vehicle to an impulse buyer who walked in off the street.

My dealer kept giving me MSRP, I told them I had an offer at (whatever dollar amount was) 5% below invoice, can they match? I didn't mention it was 5% below invoice, I figured they would believe me more if I gave them a firm number. They emailed back 11 minutes later and offered that price. In reality, I ended up 6.2% below invoice, because they had accidentally rolled their dealer handling fee into that amount. I didn't have to finance, and didn't trade in a vehicle. They might not have made much, but it was a couple more dollars than they had in the beginning.

spazzyfry123

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR (Sold) - Now Land Cruiser
Occupation
ME
For those that are shopping around, what has been your tactic to reaching the masses? Are you finding the general sales E-mail inbox of xxx dealer and requesting a quote for the Jeep of your flavor? I figure I can draft something up and just copy/paste to all the dealers within a radius.

Linx

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Punk’n JT
Anyone paying better than 5% after invoice AFTER dealers found out there aren't affiliate discounts on Gladiators? I know a lot had at 7% before that news broke.
To go along
For those that are shopping around, what has been your tactic to reaching the masses? Are you finding the general sales E-mail inbox of xxx dealer and requesting a quote for the Jeep of your flavor? I figure I can draft something up and just copy/paste to all the dealers within a radius.
I think that your best bet is to go to the dealer and lay it all out on the table. Take a printed copy of the invoice pricing spreadsheet with your options checked. Tell them to get to your desired price and you will give them the deposit right now. If they won’t, don’t get mad. Just thank them for their time, tell them to contact you if they change their minds and walk away.

If you’re in a metro area go to the next dealer and do the same.

DenverGladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ stock, manual, over-sized tires, soft top, half doors
If your buying off the lot, find the dealer with the vehicle you like and email the internet sales manager. Saves you hours of sitting listening to BS offers before you walk away.

I was placing a specific order, so I emailed 14 dealers around Colorado, plus 1 in Wyoming, Iowa, and Idaho. I searched on their websites for their internet manager, and if they didn't have that, searched for one of their other sales managers. I sent them all the same build and asked for their price. Because I'm a nerd, I kept a spreadsheet of who I contacted, when, what they offered, their fees, etc. I kept changing my mind on builds, and lots of options were not available, so I did this process over 4-6 weeks and there is no way I would have remembered who offered what. Once I knew what I wanted, I decided who had the best combination of prices, location, customer service, etc, and narrowed my list down to 3 dealers I was more serious about. Played each of their offers off the others and ended up with a good deal, and never had to leave the comfort of my home or office. The second you step in the dealership, you lose a ton of negotiating power. That's why every dealership tells you to come in and look at a car before they will discuss anything.

Thed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 MX-5 Miata, '01 Rodeo, '96 Ranger, '17 Ducati Supersport
If your buying off the lot, find the dealer with the vehicle you like and email the internet sales manager. Saves you hours of sitting listening to BS offers before you walk away.

I was placing a specific order, so I emailed 14 dealers around Colorado, plus 1 in Wyoming, Iowa, and Idaho. I searched on their websites for their internet manager, and if they didn't have that, searched for one of their other sales managers. I sent them all the same build and asked for their price. Because I'm a nerd, I kept a spreadsheet of who I contacted, when, what they offered, their fees, etc. I kept changing my mind on builds, and lots of options were not available, so I did this process over 4-6 weeks and there is no way I would have remembered who offered what. Once I knew what I wanted, I decided who had the best combination of prices, location, customer service, etc, and narrowed my list down to 3 dealers I was more serious about. Played each of their offers off the others and ended up with a good deal, and never had to leave the comfort of my home or office. The second you step in the dealership, you lose a ton of negotiating power. That's why every dealership tells you to come in and look at a car before they will discuss anything.
THIS is how you work a deal! Contact EVERY dealer that you're willing to drive out to with the exact truck you want. You'll know when they're serious. Don't announce that you're pitting dealers against each other right away, as half of the dealers won't even respond to your first email. When you narrow it down to the last few dealers, that's when you say, "Dealer X was able to get me this truck for Z, can you beat that?"

It's a bit tedious, but it's how you get blood-sucking dealers to work for you.
Sponsored