6.4L V8 Hemi (392) possibly "real world" testing for future Gladiator model

Andrew05LJR

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2015 911 C2S
To me a powerful V8 in the Gladiator is a novelty. As Kent5 said, the EcoDiesel and 4xe make more sense, to me. I would have gotten a turbo 4 gas if 1) they offered it in a Gladiator, and 2) if they paired it with the MT. Since neither are likely to happen, I am perfectly content with the V6.

However, as Factoid said, these are just my opinions.

In the final analysis, I think if Jeep can offer the 6.4 along with other engine options, and sell them at a price point that people will buy, it's all good.
Fully agree here. Would love it but the affordability aspect is something I just can't see. I love power, but I don't ever think the gladiator NEEEDS it, more so my inner child does.
Sponsored

Mopar King

First Name
Skyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2020 JLU, 2022 JLU 392
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
CFO - Logistics Company
My guess is they'll go with the 392 until the 3.0L I6 turbo is ready. Likely the 3.0L will replace the 5.7L in many applications. The 5.7L appears to have the worst power to displacement ratio of the lineup right now. It's also the oldest engine in the lineup. It's probably not worth engineering it in if it's on the way out. Whereas the 392 will likely remain for some time in SRT models. The 392 is also detuned and dropped into the 2500/3500 Ram. It could end up being the standard V8 going forward.
That will NEVER happen. The 5.7 will continue to be refined and be the standard for at least 5-10 more years.

ucijeepguy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram, LJ,
I have about 5,000 miles on my 6.4L hemi powered JTR, including several long trips.

in my opinion, this chassis was made for this Powertrain (yep, includes an 8spd ZF tranny). Fast, smooth and will go anywhere. Jeep would be foolish not to go ahead with this option, but their average fleet fuel mileage will drop!

The three biggest problems with electric are speed of charge, electrical storage and electric generation inefficiencies. These will be solved and when they are watch out, this will be the Powertrain to have!
What is your fuel economy in that thing? I get 13.5 commuting to work and 8 towing my trailer. No way its worse than that.

Mopar King

First Name
Skyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
CFO - Logistics Company
What is your fuel economy in that thing? I get 13.5 commuting to work and 8 towing my trailer. No way its worse than that.
Must not be much weight on that trailer? When I tow my boat (5500 lbs.) I get roughly 8 MPG.

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
Best I ever got was 15, but I was really trying. All highway and 60 mph.

Towing 5,000 pounds, about 10.

Sponsored

stickshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
I think the V8 sounds good on paper, but we'll have to see actual implementation. As already mentioned, gas mileage will become an issue, the 3.6L already doesn't have great range. Then there's the cost, which will probably keep most of the "I'd get it" crowd at bay. In reality the 3.6L or Diesel is fine for 99.9% of our uses.

The Gladiator is already not "affordable" by most people's logic, now add $10-$15k(guesstimate) on top? We all like to dream, but the higher you climb in price the more "why this instead of a more usable [pick a vehicle] instead?" discussions you start to have. Obviously this is an enthusiasts forum so the sampling is skewed, but just think about how many F150 (enter top trim) vs. Raptors you see on the road, and those things have been out for ages now.
I don’t see a reason for a $10-15k up charge for the V8. In the Ford F-150 lineup, the bump in price from the base 3.3 V6 to the 5.0 V8 is $2,000. In the Jeep lineup that’s a comp to going from the 3.6 Pentastar to the 5.7 Hemi (in theory). So maybe another $1,000 to the standard 6.4 (410 HP, 429 Torque) found in the Ram 2500/3500 trucks. Now the SRT version of the 6.4 is considered “high performance” so they’ll want a lot more for that... Maybe we should be writing Jeep asking for the 5.7 or the truck version of the 6.4.

Mopar King

First Name
Skyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
CFO - Logistics Company
I don’t see a reason for a $10-15k up charge for the V8. In the Ford F-150 lineup, the bump in price from the base 3.3 V6 to the 5.0 V8 is $2,000. In the Jeep lineup that’s a comp to going from the 3.6 Pentastar to the 5.7 Hemi (in theory). So maybe another $1,000 to the standard 6.4 (410 HP, 429 Torque) found in the Ram 2500/3500 trucks. Now the SRT version of the 6.4 is considered “high performance” so they’ll want a lot more for that... Maybe we should be writing Jeep asking for the 5.7 or the truck version of the 6.4.
Fully agreed! No reason for the 6.4 ESPECIALLY in a Wrangler. Very impractical.

Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Fully agreed! No reason for the 6.4 ESPECIALLY in a Wrangler. Very impractical.
Jeep has every reason to put the 6.4 in the Jeep Wrangler. They have very fierce competition coming next year in the form of a Bronco that packs huge power and with simple bolt on mods and a tune can lay down 500+ at the wheels. The 5.7 Hemi won't cut it. The 6.4 is a must to compete.

Mopar King

First Name
Skyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
CFO - Logistics Company
Jeep has every reason to put the 6.4 in the Jeep Wrangler. They have very fierce competition coming next year in the form of a Bronco that packs huge power and with simple bolt on mods and a tune can lay down 500+ at the wheels. The 5.7 Hemi won't cut it. The 6.4 is a must to compete.
Disagree. Jeep doesnt need to do anything. Ford will see less than 10% of Jeep owners buy into a Bronco if its for true offroading. Its a novelty at this point. Much like the TRX, pointless and won't stick around long (a few years max). Everyone wants high horsepower, yes. No want wants to be filling a 6.4 with premium fuel to get 10-12 MPG. Let's be real and practical - what do you need a 6.4 in a wrangler for? Aee you planning to haul more than the 1500 lbs. That the chasis allows?

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Disagree. Jeep doesnt need to do anything. Ford will see less than 10% of Jeep owners buy into a Bronco if its for true offroading. Its a novelty at this point. Much like the TRX, pointless and won't stick around long (a few years max). Everyone wants high horsepower, yes. No want wants to be filling a 6.4 with premium fuel to get 10-12 MPG. Let's be real and practical - what do you need a 6.4 in a wrangler for? Aee you planning to haul more than the 1500 lbs. That the chasis allows?
What do you need a 6.4L in a Wrangler for? Speed. Thrill. Fun. FCA does a lot of market research. Guess which vehicle has been cross-shopped against the Wrangler for years? The Ford Mustang GT Convertible. Problem is, the Mustang GT convertible is fast, fun, and has open air. But it doesn't off-road. The Wrangler off-roads and has open air, but doesn't go fast. Just imagine if Jeep made a vehicle that did all three!

These companies are building trucks and SUVs that are $60k, $80k, nearly $100k and they're selling them as fast as they can make them. A big wig on the Ram pickup team famously said during an interview last year that "we wish we had a more expensive truck to sell." There are a lot of people who couldn't care less about 12 MPG and running premium fuel. If you offer them 450 HP and 450 lbs/ft in a convertible 4x4, it'll sell like hotcakes.

Horsepower has made a HUGE comeback in the last ten years.

Dewyaw

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave, 2015 Jeep Wrangler Hard Rock; 1987 Jeep Wrangler Laredo; 1988 Porsche 911, 2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro, 1994 Toyota Pickup 4x4. Not all at the same time.
You’re right, everything was nuclear powered on Star Trek. Tell your legislators to stop putting undue regulation on nuclear energy and stop subsidizing things that cannot provide the power we need on the scale we need (solar/wind)
1000%. Nuclear is the answer for clean, abundant, cheap energy, yet the ecomentalists are against it.

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
Companies like Long Range America will make bank selling additional capacity fuel tanks. I have already caught myself doing the math
Sponsored