Sponsored

6 Speed Manual Regrets?

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Why do you think they had to give it a 5:13 non crawler first gear .
That short first gear ratio engenders some disagreements, as does the tall 6th ratio.

I think there are several good reasons.

To avoid stalls when doing soft starts low torque at low RPM.
Better starts when towing.
Ditto when pulling a boat up a launching ramp.
Kick-ass run up to redline when you really need to gun it.

Anyway, I like it. YMMV.
Sponsored

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi, 18 JLU Rubi, 2008 JKU Rubi, 07 Vette
6k lbs is more than I thought it could tow. That's quite a bit more than I thought. In that case, for sure I'd go manual with a Gladiator. I have nothing that even approaches that weight. That's nearly double what my JL is rated to tow, which I think is mainly due to the soft rear suspension.

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
6k lbs is more than I thought it could tow. That's quite a bit more than I thought. In that case, for sure I'd go manual with a Gladiator. I have nothing that even approaches that weight. That's nearly double what my JL is rated to tow, which I think is mainly due to the soft rear suspension.
My Overland only gets 4000. I think the Rubicon is a bit more because of the 4.10 axles.

-miko-

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo Wagon, Tundra, Nissan NV, '21 Gladiator
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Designer
I love my manual, the only regret was not getting 4.10 gears on the first truck I had that was totaled, now the second truck with 4.10 is way better.
I do have regrets getting the MT (but to be fair if I went with the auto I'd have regrets with that as well). For me it's a few things...
  • Limited drivers as some have mentioned. My wife can't even move the truck out of the driveway
  • The 3.73 gearing with larger tires sucks. I really think my opinion would be vastly different if it had 4.10 gears. I've heard that 4.88 makes it even better but either way, to get better gearing is another $2k - the price of the AT
  • After spending some time on trails with it, I do think an auto would be a bit easier and smoother. The high gearing and lack of clutch feel makes for some jerkyness. That's ok when I'm alone but when others ride along they get thrown around a bit.
If it could do it all over, I would go with the Max Tow and auto (and live with the host of regrets for not having the manual).

EDIT: Doh! Guess I should read the whole thread. Congrats on the new truck. Now I'm looking forward to getting past the break in period.

Last edited:

Sponsored

B-RAD

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator (on order)
Occupation
Fleet Manager
It'll break-in. Mine was a bucking bronco the first 1k or so. It will not only smooth out, but you will subconsciously adjust to it as you drive it more. Every manual transmission has quirky behavior of some kind paired with whatever the engine's peculiar characteristics are. My JK with the NSG 370 and 3.8 is an entirely different experience, from clutch to shifter to the way the engine behaves at different rpm to where the powerband is. Your brain and feet adjust. I can now go back and forth to the two Jeeps seemlessly, but it took getting used to. The JL clutch take-up is real quick. The JK doesn't take up until the pedal is nearly all the way out. Both work fine, just very different.

I'm so glad Jeep offered the manual in the JL and JT. And I'm thrilled to see younger people driving them. I just taught my 17 yo boy to drive it and he loves it. Now he's bugging the hell out of me to let him buy my JK. Nope! Lol! Btw, he LOVES the JL even more.
My 19 yo son also has a 1997 Chevy S10 with a stick and he asks to take the JK every chance he can. It’s so important to learn stick. Keeps you engaged in driving. Most cars you can basically sleep and drive these days.

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Civil Engineer

B-RAD

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator (on order)
Occupation
Fleet Manager
If the towing wasn't less, or lack of cold weather package, we might have looked at a manual.
I still have my heated seats and wheel but I do miss the auto start.

Chocolyle

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTR Sarge Green MT
Occupation
Technical Sales / Security
Thanks for asking this question. I have been on the fence, well falling towards the buy side for a while, maybe ordering a JT with the MT. I am a Toyota guy, actually have only owned one "American" made car. Have had 83 Prelude, 87 Prelude, 94 Ford probe, 84 VW Rabbit, 88 Mazda B2000, 4 Tacomas, and currently an 87 Land Cruiser. All manuals. Last few times I have driven various American sticks, other than the Ford/Mazda Probe, they have all much to be desired. I was able to finally drive a 2DR Wrangler, (Horrible, the short wheelbase), and a MT Gladiator. The Gladiator MT was very good, but it is so hard to decide in a 20 minute test drive. Even on a track you have more time to get a feel for it.

YouTube review videos, I was thinking the same as said, they seem to be sports car guys expecting a truck to drive like . . . .

The replies have been great, now just waiting for Sarge green to be available to place my order.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi, 18 JLU Rubi, 2008 JKU Rubi, 07 Vette
I have another opinion .. Rubicon owners should get a heavier flywheel and a better off idle tune . other wise it is just another Midsize truck . FCA should correct this, like the poor steering . But we are a small group, so they send people to deny .
Do you have a Rubicon with a manual?

Sponsored

bring44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Professor
I've got the manual in my JL. I wouldn't trade it for the world. I'm running 35's and it has plenty of power. It is quick, smooth shifting, and the Pentastar plays really well with it. That engine loves to rev and I just can't keep my foot out of it. It pulls strong right off the line and not only keeps pulling all the way to red line, but it gets a bit of a kick in the pants at 4500 and up as the variable valves hit their 2nd stage. The shifter is vibration free and the throws feel shorter than they really are. The JK felt like a dump truck compared to the Aisin transmission in the JL and JT.

It is as fun off road as it is on the road. No issues from rock crawling to going through deep thick mud.

The only reason I'd hesitate on the Gladiator is that it takes a hit on towing. But if I wasn't going to tow, I'd go manual all the way.

I've got 40,000 miles of smiles with this thing. Besides that, when I was ordering it and thought about the auto for a minute because it is a great transmission, too, my beautiful wife said, "It isn't a real Jeep without a manual transmission." That snapped me right out of it and also saved me 2 grand. No regrets, at all.

Btw, I added a Magnaflow axle-back exhaust system and it really brought sweet sound out of that Pentastar. That's another reason I can't keep my foot out of it.
I have the AT and have plenty of power as well

OP
OP

asuprice

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Education
Yeah I just went through all his posts. Seems to be a complaint about everything. After a few days with my Mojave manual though, I’m happy. I had a 2018 Tacoma TRD Sport manual (before someone pulled out in front of me on their red light. Frame damage and totaled in the first year of ownership) and I find the shifting very similar as far as ratios.
Jeep Gladiator 6 Speed Manual Regrets? 5F0F0E04-E090-46C9-B894-C8043DC658C2

Darrin NC

First Name
Darrin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra, Rav 4 Highlander, Corolla XSE
Occupation
self
Which truck runs smoother and quieter? ? Have a Willys manual and a TRD offroad Taco on order as well. Going to take at least one of them maybe both. Toyota owner of many cars and trucks including many Tundras. Worried about the Jeeps reliablity in long run..
Thanks

Darrin NC

First Name
Darrin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra, Rav 4 Highlander, Corolla XSE
Occupation
self

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Certified Emergency Manager
Vehicle Showcase
no regrets. Love my manual Rubi. I say go for it! I tow, offroad, daily driver, grocery getter, haul stuff, etc. No issues. I recently went with 37s and its not terrible with stock Rubicon 4.10 gears- -- not great but not terrible and the bonus is that I can simply downshift. #SAVETHESTICK !!!! Checkout my Youtube with the stuff I do. https://www.youtube.com/c/JTRSpartacus/videos
Sponsored