First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Gladiator, 2014 Chevy Suburban
Occupation
Retired
My 2021 JT is my third Jeep. I love it so far with only about 4000 miles on the odo. Mine is an S with the Willys trim package. I got a 6mt just because I get bored and really enjoy rowing through the gears. I got it with the tow package, not the max tow and have a couple of questions. I tow a 2 place flat bed snowmobile trailer in the winter and a light aluminum fishing boat in the summer. These are both way under the 4000# rating for the manual transmission sport. Previously, Iā€™d towed these with my wifeā€™s suburban and a regular gm trailer brake controller. I came to find out that the 6mt canā€™t take the mopar trailer brake controller. I like having the trailer brakes, particularly when lugging snowmobiles through the slush or pulling a soaking wet boat trailer. Any advice for adding an aftermarket one?
thanks,
Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
The Curt Spectrum or Echo are good choices. Any brake controller should work, as long as there is a harness available to connect it to the factory plug under the dash. The Mopar controller should work, although it is not officially supported with the MT.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
We have the Curt Echo, which requires zero wiring, and works beautifully. No install and you can move it between tow vehicles. The settings can be stored for multiple profiles, meaning tow different vehicle/trailer combinations. Canā€™t recommend it enough. Iā€™ll never install a traditional controller again. Feel free to dm me if you want more detail. Happy to talk to you about our experience with it. I do have the optional manual override button, so you arenā€™t reaching for your phone in an override situation. Iā€™ve never needed it a single time though. No wiring for this either. adhesive mounting and wireless connectivity.
Jeep Gladiator 6MT Trailer brake controller 1427F2BD-3155-48CE-89C0-70C223A804EF

Elff

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ Rubicon, Buell XBRS
Occupation
Interwebs
Vehicle Showcase
I have the Curt Echo as well and 100% agree with @Summitdan. It's awesome and I will never use another traditional brake controller again.
Here is a link with a nice video
https://www.curtmfg.com/dm/echo-mobile-brake-controller
We have 2 Trucks, so I can move this between them and save profiles for each. I also have what I have dubbed the Crap button and mounted that to the left of the radio which is an easy reach from the steering wheel. I think this picture does a good job of showing it's size.
Jeep Gladiator 6MT Trailer brake controller 1644099460953

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I have the Curt Echo as well and 100% agree with @Summitdan. It's awesome and I will never use another traditional brake controller again.
Here is a link with a nice video
https://www.curtmfg.com/dm/echo-mobile-brake-controller
We have 2 Trucks, so I can move this between them and save profiles for each. I also have what I have dubbed the Crap button and mounted that to the left of the radio which is an easy reach from the steering wheel. I think this picture does a good job of showing it's size.
1644099460953.png
Nice to know someone else agrees. My only complaint is itā€™s length sticking out of the 7 pin, but I use a small rubber coated twisty tie to backup the strap curt gives you. Iā€™ve used this on super sketchy trails with lots of bumps and articulation, and have never hat it move a bit. (Serious off road trailer). I put my override button just to the right of the steering column. My delicate sensibilities wouldnā€™t allow me to put it on the rubicon red, but Iā€™m mentally impaired. :) I also think itā€™s important that people know that even though these are configured and can be controlled from phones using Bluetooth, your phone does not need to be connected for it to work. It retains its last setting, even if itā€™s been off and removed. So if you drop your phone in a river, you still have brakes on the way to the Verizon store.

Sponsored

Fcmalie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2021 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Nice to know someone else agrees. My only complaint is itā€™s length sticking out of the 7 pin, but I use a small rubber coated twisty tie to backup the strap curt gives you. Iā€™ve used this on super sketchy trails with lots of bumps and articulation, and have never hat it move a bit. (Serious off road trailer). I put my override button just to the right of the steering column. My delicate sensibilities wouldnā€™t allow me to put it on the rubicon red, but Iā€™m mentally impaired. :) I also think itā€™s important that people know that even though these are configured and can be controlled from phones using Bluetooth, your phone does not need to be connected for it to work. It retains its last setting, even if itā€™s been off and removed. So if you drop your phone in a river, you still have brakes on the way to the Verizon store.
The Curt strap came loose on my 5 mile drive home from the dealer, other than that it was perfect.

Elff

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ Rubicon, Buell XBRS
Occupation
Interwebs
Vehicle Showcase
Thats a good idea.
For those crazy off road hauls, I wonder if some Gorilla tape could be the ultimate safety net.

On the street this thing locks in well. I am not worried about it.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
The Curt strap came loose on my 5 mile drive home from the dealer, other than that it was perfect.
My first one did. I learned that if you tighten it too much it pops off. If not, it stays fine. I still double it with something stronger though.

Cape taco12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
OP
OP
TheFatMan

TheFatMan

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Gladiator, 2014 Chevy Suburban
Occupation
Retired
Thanks for all the endorsements. Ordered one from the great and powerful Amazon. Iā€™m going to let my wife give it to me for valentines!
Sponsored