First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Granite Crystal Metallic
Occupation
Retired USMC
I have a Sport S with max tow package giving me a max tow capacity of 7650 Lbs. We are thinking of purchasing a travel trailer that has an unloaded weight of 6274, I have a weight distribution hitch with an 8,000 Lb rating I know this is at the top of what I want to tow with this Gladiator. Can anyone give me some more things that I need to be considering here? Do you think I can pull this RV (Imagine 2610MLE) safely, or do we need to reconsider?

thanks
Sponsored

PDiddy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Architectural Illustrator
It depends on how many people are riding in your gladiator while towing. Also the weight of all your stuff. You will usually add 3-500lbs to the trailer of stuff. Not including if you fill up the water tanks. You need to stay under your GCVW. Which is the combined weight of everything. Truck, trailer, people, stuff... you most likely will be cutting it close and will need to constantly watch what you add so you don’t go over. If you don’t want to worry about what your bringing, weight wise, I would recommend getting something a 1000lbs less.

I pull a 6400lb trailerwhen loaded, with my rubicon, and I constantly have to calculate my weight of what we add to make sure I’m staying under my GCVW. In hindsight, I would have went smaller. It pulls the trailer really well so I’ll live with the traveling light. If we need to bring more stuff, my wife will drive separately with the kids. Not ideal, but doable. Like I said though, if I was starting over, I would drop a 1000lbs off the trailer so I don’t have to worry about it.

AzRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
THREE Gladiators, and a JL Wrangler
I subscribe to RV forums and have RV'ed in our motorhome to all of the lower 48 states and into Canada twice.

The general rule most people try to follow is all gear, people, dogs, full tanks of water and propane, full fridge, ..... Yeah EVERYTHING. The total should be about 80% of the trucks maximum.

Remember Its not just if you can tow it.... its if you can control and most importantly stop it.

This link is about someone else deciding on the 80% rule

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f45/80-512294.html#post5494283

Now for the ones that didn't follow the rules.....

Heres a link to a post in a forum where it a trailer crashed when pulled by an F-150

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/buddy-lost-his-tt-but-is-ok-509377.html

Heres another.....

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f45/overloaded-too-much-speed-or-just-bad-luck-429374.html

This is an Explorer pulling a trailer WAY to big.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f50/dont-be-this-guy-493226.html

Not trying to scare you but its better to buy a little smaller and be safer, or buy the trailer you want and then buy a truck that is more than capable for the trailer you picked.

Hope this info is helpful in making your decision.

Jeep Gladiator Advise on towing safety crash-van-650x488

Jeep Gladiator Advise on towing safety 5602179361162792541

Last edited:

jdwhichard

First Name
david
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
nurse
Vehicle Showcase
i tow a gooseneck on my max tow with 6k weight . Make sure you have a brake controller stopping is alot more important than towing. if you have a problem with the rear hitch towing i would put firestone coil rite on the jeep best 120 dollars you can spend , levels out the rig . most rollovers while towing is cause by not enough hitch weight and too much in the rear causing snaking .
https://www.etrailer.com/tv-install...helper-springs-2020-jeep-gladiator-f29zr.aspx

Sponsored

sarguy1941

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
i tow a gooseneck on my max tow with 6k weight . Make sure you have a brake controller stopping is alot more important than towing. if you have a problem with the rear hitch towing i would put firestone coil rite on the jeep best 120 dollars you can spend , levels out the rig . most rollovers while towing is cause by not enough hitch weight and too much in the rear causing snaking .
https://www.etrailer.com/tv-install...helper-springs-2020-jeep-gladiator-f29zr.aspx
Still would like pictures of that hitch

Jeep-A-Kneez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel, 1995 YJ 4.0
Reconsider, your already tipping 80% of the trucks rating.

Keeping your Gladiator=smaller trailer.

Or buy a full size truck.

My 2¢

BaliMawr

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTMT, 2004 R1150GS, 1979 R100
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Art Teacher, Blacksmith
I'll enthusiastically second this. I got my 5500ish travel trailer set up with coil-rites and a redarc controller, and it's like magic. Ride was a little bouncy with 660lbs tongue weight before the bags, now, it's just weight, no tail wagging the dog.

Labswine

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2019 GC Ltd
Occupation
Retired
I tow my ~5,300 lb (loaded) trailer, 26' 7", with my Overland with tow package. Tekonsha Brake controller, and BlueOx weight distribution/sway control hitch. Tongue weight is like <500 lbs. No air bags in the rear coils and handles like a dream. No excess bouncing other than normal. I don't go over 65 mph with mine because that's where I'm comfortable driving the whole schmegeggie.

Best advice?

Drive your own drive. If everyone's passing you like you're standing still and beeping at you or flipping you off because THEY think you're driving too slow, EFF'em. They are not in charge of your safety, you are. Drive where you're comfortable as far as speed, loading, etc.

Josh00333

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Freedom
Build Thread
Link
Dang it guys, this is a 2 year old bump!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:punch:

He did what he wanted literally years ago. And I typed all this out.

To big, sorry, imho.

First off, it's a full size trailer 8' wide 8' height 26' long. Look at the frontal area and the frontal area restrictions on the truck.

GVWR (Lbs):7995

Hitch Weight (Lbs):661

Second, NEVER use the unloaded weight rating, it's pure pie in the sky. It does not include any add on's, you'll need to weigh many service dept's have mobile scales ask them to. Then add all the stuff, not accounted for, water, lp (may be included if full), add on all the thing's your going to carry: wifes purse, beer, soda, food, bedding, grill, more beer, fishing gear, blah blah.

Hitch weight will be your problem, unloaded the thing is 660.

Once truly set for the road you're going to be pushing if not over every one of the trucks limits; trailer weigh close if not over, frontal area over off the lot, tongue weight I bet lunch you'll be at your limit off the lot let alone loaded.

Payload on the truck, your gona be close, let me guess, you wife, kid dog?

1500 payload
-750 tongue
-100 weight distribution
-100 kid
-50 dog
-150 wife
350 left over... you lift? you add tires? how big are you? 5000 tools we "think" we need?
Sponsored