Sponsored

Affordable Lift For Constant Heavy Load Overland Rigs?

OP
OP
nickjaynes

nickjaynes

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Just as an update for you guys:

I added more gear to the back of the rig, primarily a CargoGlide. With that, and all my stuff loaded up for extended journeys, the rear of my truck sits lower than the front and the shocks are overwhelmed by the weight.

I thought I could have the TeraFlex Falcon shocks rebuilt/re-valved to make them stiffer, since the TeraFlex website says lists the shocks as rebuildable. Turns out, that's a lie. Their customer service guy says it isn't true.

So, now I am looking for taller, stiffer springs for the rear, and stiffer shocks for all four corners. I installed some TeraFlex 3.5" rear springs in it. But those sit lower than the MOPAR 2" lift springs with a 0.75" spacer. What a joke! I am forever done with TeraFlex.

The search continues. I've posted a pic of my rig from my 1,400-mile overland journey from September.

Jeep Gladiator Affordable Lift For Constant Heavy Load Overland Rigs? IMG_7001
Sponsored

Arcticelf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, '13 Tacoma

I added more gear to the back of the rig, primarily a CargoGlide. With that, and all my stuff loaded up for extended journeys, the rear of my truck sits lower than the front and the shocks are overwhelmed by the weight.

I thought I could have the TeraFlex Falcon shocks rebuilt/re-valved to make them stiffer, since the TeraFlex website says lists the shocks as rebuildable. Turns out, that's a lie. Their customer service guy says it isn't true.

So, now I am looking for taller, stiffer springs for the rear, and stiffer shocks for all four corners. I installed some TeraFlex 3.5" rear springs in it. But those sit lower than the MOPAR 2" lift springs with a 0.75" spacer. What a joke! I am forever done with TeraFlex.

The search continues. I've posted a pic of my rig from my 1,400-mile overland journey from September.

After switching to rear Rubicon springs (kept the Overland edition in the front) and Rubicon shocks all around: I agree still not enough.

I'll eventually put in King Racing shocks, the rear mounts are very convenient for off the shelf kings. , I'm trying to decide if I should do a coil-over conversion, bypass shocks, or smoothies. Really the debate is coilovers or bypass.

NoBigDeal

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Have you thought about air bags or something like Timbren(or something similar) bump stops?

FR33DOM

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Hyundai Veracruz & 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon LE

Great looking setup! Have you talked to @Clayton Off Road about this? I believe they have some stiffer rear springs than most others and give pretty true lift heights from what I've read. This thread may also help: https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...load-alu-cab-gen-3-rttd-jtr.31872/post-566191

See what you think!

Clayton Off Road

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR

Sponsored

Gobi1Kenobi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator Overland Gobiiiiiiii

Arcticelf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, '13 Tacoma
Hey y'all I'm in the same boat: I've got an overlanding rig and my ride is bouncy AF

I have the RC 3.5" lift installed and my rear is bouncing all over the highway at 70mph it makes me nervous. https://www.roughcountry.com/jeep-s...c.html?find=2020-jeep-gladiator-jt-4wd-740603

I'm looking for a way to stiffen the rear suspension as I have constant load with the bed rack and RTT.
Better shocks. Even with the fox setup from a Rubicon edition.its not enough.

I'm going to put King 2" with remote reservoirs on mine. If you can measure the extended and collapsed length of your current shocks I can get you a part number that will work with your lift.

Gobi1Kenobi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator Overland Gobiiiiiiii
Update: I copped some Rough Country Vertex piggyback shocks for $300 for the rear pair on OfferUp so I gave them a try. The difference is night and day compared to standard RC N3s. When on the road I'm at a 4 and off road and washboard I'm at a 1. It's definitely a comfier ride and the bounce has been mitigated. I'll be grabbing another pair for the fronts.

OP
OP
nickjaynes

nickjaynes

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thought I'd update you guys. A couple months ago I stepped up to the Clayton 2.5" springs front and rear and Falcon 3.3 shocks at all four corners. It's finally a set up that can handle all the weight I am running with on the truck during my expeditions. I recently weighed it and I am tipping 7,200 pounds. It's a big boy!

FR33DOM

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Hyundai Veracruz & 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon LE
Thought I'd update you guys. A couple months ago I stepped up to the Clayton 2.5" springs front and rear and Falcon 3.3 shocks at all four corners. It's finally a set up that can handle all the weight I am running with on the truck during my expeditions. I recently weighed it and I am tipping 7,200 pounds. It's a big boy!
NICE! What settings do you run the Falcons when on road/trail?

Sponsored

jtim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator Rubicon
Thanks for the update, Nick. Did you have the non-adjustable Falcons before? Do you still have any rake with the 2.5" springs front and rear?
I have an AT Habitat on my Gladiator, so it's a 360lb constant load, and it'll be loaded up a lot more for trips. I'm considering the 2.5" Clayton lift with the SP2 3.3 Falcons, but wondered if I'd need the 3.5" springs for the rear with all the weight back there. It sagged on the stock Rubicon springs about an inch, sounds like it's probably compress the Clayton springs a little less than that.

OP
OP
nickjaynes

nickjaynes

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the update, Nick. Did you have the non-adjustable Falcons before? Do you still have any rake with the 2.5" springs front and rear?
I have an AT Habitat on my Gladiator, so it's a 360lb constant load, and it'll be loaded up a lot more for trips. I'm considering the 2.5" Clayton lift with the SP2 3.3 Falcons, but wondered if I'd need the 3.5" springs for the rear with all the weight back there. It sagged on the stock Rubicon springs about an inch, sounds like it's probably compress the Clayton springs a little less than that.
I had the Falcon 2.0s, which are three-way adjustable.

Rig sits about level now on 2.5s F&R. Clayton told me not to go to 3.5s in rear without getting a longer driveline, etc.

jtim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator Rubicon
I had the Falcon 2.0s, which are three-way adjustable.

Rig sits about level now on 2.5s F&R. Clayton told me not to go to 3.5s in rear without getting a longer driveline, etc.
Good to know. I'll talk with them before placing the order.

Did you keep the 3/4" spacers in the rear, or do you just have the 2.5" springs?