2.5" lift question for a 600lb constant load Alu-Cab Gen 3 RTT'd JTR

jtim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator Rubicon
Hey everyone, so I finally have an update... been waiting on AEV Borah wheels to finish this lift project.

I completed the Clayton lift with Falcon SP2 3.3 shocks and I am pleased with the results. As you know I am carrying roughly a 600lb constant load in the JTR at all times. As a reminder, I wanted a 2.5" lift that could support the weight without the use of spacers to supplement the rear springs. So I ended up with Clayton 2.5" front coils and Clayton 3.5" rear coils to support the constant load.

As it turns out, I actually netted MORE TOTAL lift than expected from Clayton Off Road's advertised lift height.

Clayton's 2.5" front coil = I gained slightly over 3.0" of total lift (no bumper/winch)
Clayton's 3.5" rear coil = netted 3.0" of total lift with 600lb constant load

Overall, I am sitting at more of a true 3.0" lift at each corner (despite looking higher in the front due to the Rubicon's high flare fenders). I am very pleased with the stance and actually hope the front comes down slightly with the new bumper/winch. The rear lower control arms are no longer "inverted" like with the OEM stock springs.

The Clayton springs are very supportive and seem to be tuned with more of a firm street ride and excellent off road ride, soaking up rocks and whoops without constantly relying on the bump stops. They seem to love the "bigger" hits and promote a little bit more speed in the wash boards.

Onto the Falcon SP2 3.3's.... which will draw the biggest debate I'm sure. I'll just get it out in the open, I like these shocks and do not feel that they are harsh. My shaft setting is twisted to "soft" and I run them on the #1 dial setting (soft) on the road. Yes, they are set on ALL SOFT for normal daily driving even with all my weight. Small bump compliance is good and cornering support is great. We drove all the CO mountain passes at the prescribed speed limits with little body roll and zero float out of the rear. Absolutely no more rear end bounce or cross wind sway like from the OEM suspension. My personal shock setting preference on-road is SOFT / SOFT to maintain a firmer than stock feel and planted ride in the corners. My guess it that with Clayton's higher spring rate and a firmer shock like Falcon that most people will go with ALL SOFT.

Off-road though is a different story with the Falcon's. I prefer a setting of 2.1 front and 2.4 rear when crawling thru the rocks and hitting off-camber sections (Engineer Pass in Ouray for example). The shocks felt better when stiffened up off road. The JT was less prone to the "slinky effect" when crawling over rocks where one side compresses and the other extends as the vehicle comes off rocks. After 5 hours of both Engineer Pass and Cinnamon Pass the shocks never felt like they were fading or giving up.

If you're still waiting on a negative comment about the Falcon's then here it is... I don't see a real world scenario where the PERFORMANCE shock shaft setting is needed... for me at least. I'm running Nitto RG's 37x12.5 @30psi and the SOFT shock shaft setting seems to provide all the support I need. Maybe these shocks are designed to pick up the slack of a soft spring? Maybe other gals/guys drive harder that I ever will to utilize the PERFORMANCE shaft setting?

For the overland crowd or people carrying more payload than most I hope this thread helps you out.

John

20200905_164918.jpg

IMG_20200831_110910.jpg

IMG_20200908_111952_948.jpg
John, thanks for the update. I'm following this, because I'll be in the same situation soon with a constant load, and I've been considering suspension options.

One question I have is with the Borah wheels, with high offset, do you have any rubbing or limited steering or suspension travel with the 37s?

Are you running the full Clayton 2.5" Overland lift (control arms, track bars, etc.), just with the 3.5" rear springs? How do you like the lift?

Have you regeared?

Jeep looks great, by the way.
Sponsored

OP
OP
darkhorse13

darkhorse13

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Data Analyst
John, thanks for the update. I'm following this, because I'll be in the same situation soon with a constant load, and I've been considering suspension options.

One question I have is with the Borah wheels, with high offset, do you have any rubbing or limited steering or suspension travel with the 37s?

I believe the Borah wheels are +25mm offset. We wheeled decently hard-ish trail in Ouray and I was aired down to 18psi. I have Synergy Mfg LCA's and I did not have rubbing issues or limited steering. Also, no rubbing issues with 3in bumpstops and the Rubicon fenders on full stuff

Are you running the full Clayton 2.5" Overland lift (control arms, track bars, etc.), just with the 3.5" rear springs? How do you like the lift?

No, just the springs front and rear. I have a full Synergy Mfg front setup. Sector Brace, Track Bar, HD Tie Rod (with high steering stabilizer clamp for OEM), Drag Link, LCAs and UCAs. I just love the double adjuster sleeves and beefiness of Synergy. I also like they are a "rubber" joint rather than a Johnny Joint for NVH. All OEM in rear in terms of links/track bar. Kind of waiting on Synergy for this to match the front. I have ZERO complaints with the Clayton Overland arms though. I just happened to have bought the Synergy parts before finding the springs.

Have you regeared?

Not yet, leaning towards 5.13's next year.

Jeep looks great, by the way.
Thanks, replies above.

FR33DOM

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Hyundai Veracruz & 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon LE
Yes I have taken the decals off the hood... it's a Rubicon. I'd recommend the 3/4" spacers with the 2.5" rear springs if you want a rake. The JT's do not have an option for brake line extensions so I'd recommend getting new lines from Crown Performance. Might as well have the shop do it all at once and be done.

Thanks! I’ll see if I can get these ordered up.

jtim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator Rubicon
Thanks, replies above.
Glad to hear you don't have any problems with the wheels. I'd heard other lift companies say you need more backspacing, but I'd prefer the higher offset.

Any problems with the stock front driveshaft clearance?

Sponsored

OP
OP
darkhorse13

darkhorse13

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Data Analyst
Glad to hear you don't have any problems with the wheels. I'd heard other lift companies say you need more backspacing, but I'd prefer the higher offset.

Any problems with the stock front driveshaft clearance?
AEV seems to do their homework and these wheels fit perfectly.

No issues with front driveshaft clearance. The shocks don't droop enough in front for issues.

FR33DOM

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks! I’ll see if I can get these ordered up.
I talked to Clayton today. They recommend for my use (220-300# constant load with 500-600 when overlanding or pulling trailer), to go with 3/4" spacer on the existing 2.5" springs and brake line extensions instead of 3.5" since I won't always have that constant max load. Thanks for the catch on this @darkhorse13!

OP
OP
darkhorse13

darkhorse13

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Data Analyst
I talked to Clayton today. They recommend for my use (220-300# constant load with 500-600 when overlanding or pulling trailer), to go with 3/4" spacer on the existing 2.5" springs and brake line extensions instead of 3.5" since I won't always have that constant max load. Thanks for the catch on this @darkhorse13!
I agree with that. I think with the 2.5's and 3/4" spacer you'll get a good stance with the 220-300lb constant load. My pleasure to be the guinea pig :)

FR33DOM

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I agree with that. I think with the 2.5's and 3/4" spacer you'll get a good stance with the 220-300lb constant load. My pleasure to be the guinea pig :)
Someone's gotta do it and get us keyboard speculators to have more confidence!

I ended up ordering the Clayton rear brake extensions so will have it all here in time for next week's install. Can't wait!
Sponsored