John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Data Analyst
Hey everyone,
Well it's been about 1.5 years with the Clayton springs and they've been great. I'm ready to try out something new though as manufacturers have started catching up to the needs of Gladiator owners with constant load overland equipment. So after some research (and parts availability) I've chosen to try out Synergy Mfg springs.

Constant load specs: ~600lb constant load; increasing to ~900lb for a fully packed trip

Previous setup: 0" rake with 600lb
Front = Clayton 2.5" springs (actual lift closer to 3.25" when installed)
Rear = Clayton 3.5" springs (sagged to right at 3" with constant load; never measured actual lift amount as overland gear was installed prior to lift)
Shocks = Falcon SP2 3.3's for 2-3" lift (set to "soft" on shaft twist and dial at "1" setting 95% of time)

Impressions (roughly 1.5 years testing) = The Clayton lift with Falcon shocks made for a "firm" ride. PROS: It tackled long highway miles and strong sidewinds with little to no sway and never made me consider upgrading the rear sway bar to something like a Hellwig. Off road, the Gladiator flexed very well and remained composed in off camber situations and exceled at taking big drops and heavy hits. CONS: I did feel like the truck was overly firm on washboard roads and rocky "chatter" sections on the trail when speed could be maintained.

Current setup: 1/2" rake with 600lb
Front = Synergy 3" springs (actual 3" when installed)
Rear = Synergy 3" springs + Daystar 3/4" spacers (actually maintained 3" with constant load when installed; Synergy claims to maintain factory rake (I believe 1.5") and I whole heartedly believe that given the 600lb load I have in the back)
Shocks = Falcon SP2 3.3's for 2-3" lift (set to "soft" on shaft twist and dial at "1" setting 95% of time)

Impressions (only about 20miles on new springs so full update is coming this summer 2022)= The Syngery Mfg springs are much closer to OEM spring rate and it's noticeable. The front suspension is especially more compliant on-road with potholes and road variances. While the front Clayton springs were only 2.5" with a 19.375" free length, they gave me slightly over 3" of total lift. The front Synergy 3" springs with a longer 22.25" free length, gave me the advertised 3" lift with a stubby Ace bumper and Warn VR10S winch. It goes to show how each lift company can differ in their approach to lift. The rear Synergy springs are only 3" advertised lift but they honestly have to be more given that I'm getting 3" with 600lb over the bed. There are other Synergy spring posts on this forum where people are running a 3" front with a 2" rear to "level" out the stance... now I see why. Personally I love the rake for payload reasons and overall handling. I'm probably going to add a Daystar 3/4" spacer in the rear to give me just a little extra bump for those big 900lb summer trips with the mountain bikes and full gear.

Here are some of my previous Clayton spring posts / reviews for reference:
https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...tant-load-alu-cab-gen-3-rttd-jtr.31872/page-2
https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...gs-suspension-setups.28559/page-2#post-697096

Hope this helps JT owners deciding on their next lift :) So far nothing bad to say about either company, just different methods to get 3" of lift.

Clayton 2.5"f/3.5"r spring combo:
Jeep Gladiator Clayton vs Synergy - coil spring review with 600lb constant load overland build 1645823173929

Synergy Mfg 3"f/3"r spring combo:
*coming soon* it's 7 degrees outside in CO right now :(
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
darkhorse13

darkhorse13

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Data Analyst
Not to derail my own thread, but AEV just recently dropped a set of "high capacity" 3" springs on their website and I'm hearing some good things from a couple overland guys... I'll stay focused on the current topic though :)

IzzyO

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
"...full update is coming this summer 2022 "

Wondering if you have any updates to share? :)

OP
OP
darkhorse13

darkhorse13

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Data Analyst
"...full update is coming this summer 2022 "

Wondering if you have any updates to share? :)
Sure can... I've had them on a few "big" adventures this year where the JTR was fully loaded with all the camping supplies and MTB on the way to Moab.

First and foremost, I love the Synergy springs. They provide the softness and compliance I was looking for after switching from the Claytons. As I reminder I have a full set of 3" Synergy Springs front and rear with the addition of 3/4" Daystar spacers in the rear too. I've slacked on getting pictures uploaded of a full loaded rig but when I'm in full camp/MTB mode the truck sits level. (see photo below)

Impressions:
1) Stable, compliant, softer (than Clayton) ride quality.
2) The springs give you the ADVERSTISED lift in the front and OEM style rake in the rear.
3) Washboards and road chatter feel much better with Synergy than Claytons.
4) I can actually use the dial adjusters on the Falcon SP2 3.3's now to tune the ride and actually feel it work properly. With the Clayton's I never ran anything above Dial "1" settings on the Falcons. Turning the dial on the Falcon's with the Clayton springs just went from firm to more firm to harsh. The Synergy springs play well with the Falcon's although I still wish the Falcon's were slightly less firm (that's another thread)
5) Synergy parts just seem to be dialed in all around. I basically at this point have everything Synergy offers besides the Drag Link flip kit and front end links. I'm just impressed with everything they do.

20220623_203408.jpg

Sponsored

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Did the rears settle in at all or did they stay true to measured? I picked up the 4" set and now I'm wondering if that's going to be too high for my garage haha.

OP
OP
darkhorse13

darkhorse13

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Data Analyst
Did the rears settle in at all or did they stay true to measured? I picked up the 4" set and now I'm wondering if that's going to be too high for my garage haha.
No, they have not "settled". I'm still measuring the same numbers using the front and rear of the rocker guards to the ground. I'm under the impression that springs these days don't settle like they used to. The Clayton's I took off after 1.5 years were exactly the same too.

If you decide to go a different route with your rears and possibly want to swap my 3" for your 4" let me know. With my constant load and 3/4" Daystars I am getting essentially just the 3/4" rake from the spacers. Without the spacers I'd be level. Again, I am easily running a 600lb constant load.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
No, they have not "settled". I'm still measuring the same numbers using the front and rear of the rocker guards to the ground. I'm under the impression that springs these days don't settle like they used to. The Clayton's I took off after 1.5 years were exactly the same too.

If you decide to go a different route with your rears and possibly want to swap my 3" for your 4" let me know. With my constant load and 3/4" Daystars I am getting essentially just the 3/4" rake from the spacers. Without the spacers I'd be level. Again, I am easily running a 600lb constant load.
Yeah I'm floating around 300# right now but have plans for a bumper and hanging the tire off the back which will add to it. I'll give them a crack and see how I feel because I do want the rake, I just also don't want my truck sitting out in the Phoenix sun year round.

monkeyman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon---2004 Wrangler TJ
Anybody use Clayton springs not for a lift but to stiffen a JTR?
Sponsored