First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Business owner/Vibration Analyst
Used my stock 2020 Gladiator to haul a load of parts for the first time the other day. Weight was about 800 lbs. Driving down the freeway I found I was kinda all over the lane and it was difficult to control the front end. Any bounce from road seams of potholes and I was really having to hold the wheel tight to keep straight.

The next day I made another delivery and had about 250 lbs in the bed. This time I pushed the skid all the way forward putting the weight just ahead of the rear axle. Still had the same issue, just not as bad since it was 1/4 the weight.

Anybody else experience this?
Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Used my stock 2020 Gladiator to haul a load of parts for the first time the other day. Weight was about 800 lbs. Driving down the freeway I found I was kinda all over the lane and it was difficult to control the front end. Any bounce from road seams of potholes and I was really having to hold the wheel tight to keep straight.

The next day I made another delivery and had about 250 lbs in the bed. This time I pushed the skid all the way forward putting the weight just ahead of the rear axle. Still had the same issue, just not as bad since it was 1/4 the weight.

Anybody else experience this?
Which model of Gladiator?
Does it have a Tow Package?
What is the tire pressure?
Have you had the TSB done to replace the steering box?

Weight on the back will affect the front and how it handles. There are a lot of variables to the equation as to just how much effect it will have.

OP
OP
BalancedPete

BalancedPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Business owner/Vibration Analyst
Which model of Gladiator?
Does it have a Tow Package?
What is the tire pressure?
Have you had the TSB done to replace the steering box?

Weight on the back will affect the front and how it handles. There are a lot of variables to the equation as to just how much effect it will have.
Sorry, forgot to put all those details.
2020 Overland with the standard tow package. Tires at 37/38 psi. I have not had the steering box replacement done. I have not been having any of the issues with steering wander, etc. until now. But I don't know if this is the same problem.

Mouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
I have not had the steering box replacement done. I have not been having any of the issues with steering wander, etc. until now. But I don't know if this is the same problem.
The steering problems are probably a combination. Get a new box and its probably a fair bit better

TYJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
I have a 2020 stock Overland (with original steering box) and have hauled 800+ lbs regularly and if anything I’d say my truck handled better with weight. No steering or suspension issues whatsoever. I’d have the dealer check it out and tell them about the steering box TSB.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Yallaen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport-S upgraded
Occupation
Information Security
Vehicle Showcase
I got a 2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S from my local dealer. It had 50 miles on it when I took possession. They did a bunch of upgrades...LED taillights, color matching fenders, upgraded wheels/tires.

I've noticed the "lane sway" on the highway, and it's not that bad...but I got used to it.
Someone mentioned about the steering box replacement. Is this a factory recall item?

TYJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
I got a 2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S from my local dealer. It had 50 miles on it when I took possession. They did a bunch of upgrades...LED taillights, color matching fenders, upgraded wheels/tires.

I've noticed the "lane sway" on the highway, and it's not that bad...but I got used to it.
Someone mentioned about the steering box replacement. Is this a factory recall item?
It’s not a “recall” (yet) but there is an official TSB for it. Search here. Tons of threads/info available. Here’s one: https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...b-08-074-20-for-improved-steering-feel.33705/

Yallaen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Information Security
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks! I have scheduled service with local dealer and will see what they say.

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
Thanks! I have scheduled service with local dealer and will see what they say.
Glad to hear you were able to get an appointment. If you require any further assistance after speaking with them, please let us know in PM.

Kate
Jeep Cares

Sponsored

JoseQ_80

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport 80th Anniversary Bright White
Occupation
Highway Engineer
Sorry, forgot to put all those details.
2020 Overland with the standard tow package. Tires at 37/38 psi. I have not had the steering box replacement done. I have not been having any of the issues with steering wander, etc. until now. But I don't know if this is the same problem.
Is that hot or cold psi?

Try 34 psi cold and see if it improves.

DirkG

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Sport S
I have not had the steering box replacement done.
For me, after getting a new box in late November, it's been night and day.

Over the summer, we went camping and had a fully loaded JT with gear. It was swaying on the freeway to the point that I was uncomfortable at times. Although I haven't been camping since the new box was installed, I've had several loads where I have been much more comfortable and basically didn't notice anything (which is the way it should be).

Yallaen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Information Security
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting on the Tech Bulletin: I was having the lane sway as I mentioned. I made an appointment at my local Jeep dealer (All-Star Jeep/Chrysler/Dodge) in Bridgeton, MO. I made sure to note the TB.

They diagnosed the problem, and did indeed confirm that I had the issue. They had to special order the parts, so it took a couple days to get. They did the repair, BUT...they said that the tie rod end joints were "shot" as well. I had about 2900 miles on it (I bought it at 50-ish miles in October of 2020). This car was built in 1/20. It's been on the lot for some-time, and the dealer did upgrades I'm sure to get it moved.

After the work, the driving is MUCH BETTER! Now...about that pesky heating issue that has cropped up...

Yallaen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Information Security
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting on the Tech Bulletin: I was having the lane sway as I mentioned. I made an appointment at my local Jeep dealer (All-Star Jeep/Chrysler/Dodge) in Bridgeton, MO. I made sure to note the TB.

They diagnosed the problem, and did indeed confirm that I had the issue. They had to special order the parts, so it took a couple days to get. They did the repair, BUT...they said that the tie rod end joints were "shot" as well. I had about 2900 miles on it (I bought it at 50-ish miles in October of 2020). This car was built in 1/20. It's been on the lot for some-time, and the dealer did upgrades I'm sure to get it moved.

After the work, the driving is MUCH BETTER! Now...about that pesky heating issue that has cropped up...
Just a quick follow-up: I just drove from MO to OR over MLK weekend. Besides the 30mph+ headwind I fought on Friday...the car drove great after this fix. No issues.

Red-Paint

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT 2019 RS3
Occupation
Contractor
I have been driving f150 - F250 for 40yrs, This JT just does not perform like a full size truck. We need to stop expecting it to.
Sponsored