First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Inspector
I tried searching and couldn't find anything.

Saturday I pulled the Gladiator out of the garage so I could have room to work. I back in to park so when I pulled it out I was driving forward.
I then put it in reverse to straighten it up before I turned it off. at this time it made a clunking noise and then it wouldn't move. Screen told me to put it in park so I did. I tried to reverse again and it did it again.
So I thought to myself "Drive worked" so I pulled it all the way out In to the street and tried reverse again and of course it did it again. I then put it back in drive and now it won't even drive.

After turning the jeep off and on 3 times, I finally got it to reverse back into my driveway.

About 10 minutes later I told the wife I was going to go drive it around the block a few times to make sure everything was driving ok. Got in and turned it on and the gas light was on saying I was low (well, not low, but pretty much empty). I don't drive it much since I am working from home so I didn't think much of it other than I needed gas. And since I just went around the block I figured I would just get gas next time I leave.

fast forward a couple hours when I had to go run an errand. got in and started it, and now I magically have 1/4 of a tank.

Has any of this happened to any of you?

EDIT: my mileage is 1,041 right now.
Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I tried searching and couldn't find anything.

Saturday I pulled the Gladiator out of the garage so I could have room to work. I back in to park so when I pulled it out I was driving forward.
I then put it in reverse to straighten it up before I turned it off. at this time it made a clunking noise and then it wouldn't move. Screen told me to put it in park so I did. I tried to reverse again and it did it again.
So I thought to myself "Drive worked" so I pulled it all the way out In to the street and tried reverse again and of course it did it again. I then put it back in drive and now it won't even drive.

After turning the jeep off and on 3 times, I finally got it to reverse back into my driveway.

About 10 minutes later I told the wife I was going to go drive it around the block a few times to make sure everything was driving ok. Got in and turned it on and the gas light was on saying I was low (well, not low, but pretty much empty). I don't drive it much since I am working from home so I didn't think much of it other than I needed gas. And since I just went around the block I figured I would just get gas next time I leave.

fast forward a couple hours when I had to go run an errand. got in and started it, and now I magically have 1/4 of a tank.

Has any of this happened to any of you?

EDIT: my mileage is 1,041 right now.
It has a Auto-Park Safety Feature. If door is not closed tight, it won't move unless seat belt is buckled.

Gas gauge does not provide instantaneous feedback, and accuracy can be affected if truck is not level. Occasionally, a sensor or display will glitch, and restarting the vehicle will correct it.

Zacfrac

First Name
Zachary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator LE
Occupation
Consultant
Not saying this is the issue but the auto-park system can get pretty aggressive about not wanting to do things if it thinks you’re not in the seat or the door is open.

I lose about a quarter tank when parking in my driveway with the nose of the Jeep pointed downhill. If I take it to level ground it doesn’t come back up for a while or until I turn it off/on

morejeepsthanicancount

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Vehicle Showcase
It has a Auto-Park Safety Feature. If door is not closed tight, it won't move unless seat belt is buckled.

Gas gauge does not provide instantaneous feedback, and accuracy can be affected if truck is not level. Occasionally, a sensor or display will glitch, and restarting the vehicle will correct it.
This...the most annoying 'feature' to me is AutoPark. Any time the door is opened during a gear other than park. Must close door, slide to park, then back to the gear you were in.

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
This...the most annoying 'feature' to me is AutoPark.
It's not a feature, it's an annoyance!
BS that I have to put the transfer case in neutral just to go back and look at the back-up lights/test the reverse proximity sensor.
And often times I like to use the back-up lights to see to lock a gate I've just gone through.
Stupid safety features...

Kevin

Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
It's not a feature, it's an annoyance!
BS that I have to put the transfer case in neutral just to go back and look at the back-up lights/test the reverse proximity sensor.
And often times I like to use the back-up lights to see to lock a gate I've just gone through.

Kevin
I set the parking brake, use two Harbor Freight ammo boxes to hold down the brake pedal, and put it in reverse for testing.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase

Kevin
Until it kills you, your kid or a neighbor........... people have DIED thinking their thing was in park and it wasn't. A friend's car was totaled because a body shop didn't get it in park and got out of his car....... our high school shop teacher had his foot run over - the kid said "I thought it was in park".

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
Until it kills you, your kid or a neighbor........... people have DIED thinking their thing was in park and it wasn't. A friend's car was totaled because a body shop didn't get it in park and got out of his car....... our high school shop teacher had his foot run over - the kid said "I thought it was in park".
I understand.
I had a buddy that had a brand new Wrangler a few years ago, and the damn thing wouldn't reliably go into or stay in Park (a common problem, from what I've read.)
So, rather than FIX the problem, develop the AutoPark to annoy!
/soapbox

Kevin

JTBurns

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Luckily haven't had anything too wierd happen with Auto Park, but I have noticed if I'm about 1/8 or even 1/4 tank left and let it idle for a few minutes while I load up kids/supplies, then the gas gauge will read that I'm almost out. Have to drive around for a little or turn it off and on for it to read where I thought.

Also if you try to use remote start and don't have much gas, then it'll turn off pretty quickly, which is nice, so it doesn't just sit there and run out of fuel. This is probably the standard for remote start, I would think, but first time I have it so all I can speak to.

Last edited:

DobaMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JT Overland, 23 JL Sahara 4xe
Twice my Gladiator has decided it has no (or very little) gas. In each case, I was around 1/4 of a tank. Only after several miles did it read the correct level. Obviously it's some sort of glitch and will likely only get worse with time.

Sponsored

jbehrn

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Twice my Gladiator has decided it has no (or very little) gas. In each case, I was around 1/4 of a tank. Only after several miles did it read the correct level. Obviously it's some sort of glitch and will likely only get worse with time.
This happened to me as well in Houston (not a place known for its majestic mountains or rolling hills). I filled up on a level surface and noticed the gauge wasn’t showing full for about 30 miles before it corrected itself.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
Most vehicles will do this when low on fuel. Terrain will play a factor.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Exactly like my 2011 Silverado did to me more than once.
I'd come home with a touch under 1/4 tank, park in our driveway, then go out the next morning and start it and get the "fuel low" warning and it would show a scant 1/8 or less. Next stop and start, the low fuel wasn't on and it was a bit closer to accurate.

I fail to see how you can say "will likely only get worse with time" - things that wear get worse with time. Things that are loose get worse with time.
Electric fuel gauges? No.
They are what they are as there's nothing about them to "get worse with time." There's nothing about them to "get worse with time". It won't get better, but it's not going to get worse.

You have expansion and contracting of the fuel itself (don't believe me? Fill a gas can to the max on a cold day and set it where it can get warm - wow), you have the level or not-level place where you parked (take a 8' or better contractor level to the spot you park - you may be surprised), a lot of things factor into it.
Honestly, what you experienced is nothing much different than what I did with my Chevy for the years I had it.

Everything I own - once I get down to 1/4 "by the gauge" I assume the worst.

rr11

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT 2005 TJ 2003 F250
Occupation
Retired
I had aF250 that if you toped off the tank with 3/4 or better in the tank the gauge would not change. The dealer pretty munch said that's how it works.

DobaMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JT Overland, 23 JL Sahara 4xe
Most vehicles will do this when low on fuel. Terrain will play a factor.
No, this isn't normal. I've never had another vehicle, Jeep or not, fail to recognize there was fuel in the tank for 20 minutes as I was driving up and down hill. Either the float was stuck or the system wasn't getting the reading from the sending unit.
Sponsored