First Name
Andreas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubican Diesel Sting Grey
Occupation
Business Owner
There is a reason that the Alucab canopy thread is shorter than the RSI canopy thread. The Alucab is better built, puts the load on the trail rails using shims/brackets instead of the on the bed caps using c-clamps, is one piece aluminum and light weight. The gasket under the canopy simply seals the canopy to the bed and carries no load.

I haven't had any problems with dust in the bed but I also use a ecoological gapshield to seal the gap between tailgate and the bed.

The Alucab canopy is much more utilitarian in design aesthetics, which fits my view of offroad capability. The other canopies are more fashionable designs like most other onroad trucks use.

I also have the ammo can rack across the front of the canopy for storage and the cupboards with builtright molle panels on each side for tool and recovery gear storage.

20201025_131851.jpg
Great. Thank you for your comments. I really appreciate it. That is my plan also. I would like to have it sealed from dust. I’m going to look up that gap shield for the tailgate. Also you gladiator looks awesome. What lift do you have and what size tires. The proportions look perfect.
Sponsored

tmac

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR 20
Occupation
Healthcare
We sell and install both. The Alu-Cab seams to be the more popular model with about a 5 to 1 ratio. And a lot of people end up mounting tents to the Alu-Cab models later on. I think both product look great, but I kind of like the Alu-Cab better. But I am also a fan of boxy vehicles, so thats probably why.

Its too bad the border isnt open, we have the Alu-Cabs in stock.
@Steven_B I would love to hear the reasons customers go 5 to 1 for Alu-Cab? What is the listed static and dynamic weights for the top? I was leaning to Alu-Cab and your comments are helping.

Steven_B

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
aroundthenw.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 WK2, 2001 XJ, 1993 YJ, 2021 JT EcoDiesel
Occupation
Digital Marketing Manager
@Steven_B I would love to hear the reasons customers go 5 to 1 for Alu-Cab? What is the listed static and dynamic weights for the top? I was leaning to Alu-Cab and your comments are helping.
I think its because people have the ultimate goal of mounting a tent to the top and the availability of Alu-Cab load bars that bolt right on. We list an overall weight around 125 lbs with a dynamic load rating of 330 lbs. If you have seen one in person, they look industrial, almost overbuilt, so static should be very high.

kaeo_15

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
The RSI and Alu-Cab have similar static/dynamic weight ratings but the Alu-Cab is much lighter. I am, personally, not in love with the RSI attachment system (c-clamps) but I don’t have the trail rail so it works out in my case. Each person will argue what is “better”, but that is really on a case-by-case and end-use basis. I don’t overland (yet), but I do run lots of medium-hard trails in the PNW and have never had an issue with the cap or mounting solution. The scratches just add to the charm. I’m not trying to persuade you to get one over the other. Just providing some information.

1462A4A5-F265-4AB1-A992-50BEF86CDD9C.jpeg

Sponsored

OP
OP
ZabbaJones

ZabbaJones

First Name
Andreas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Business Owner
The RSI and Alu-Cab have similar static/dynamic weight ratings but the Alu-Cab is much lighter. I am, personally, not in love with the RSI attachment system (c-clamps) but I don’t have the trail rail so it works out in my case. Each person will argue what is “better”, but that is really on a case-by-case and end-use basis. I don’t overland (yet), but I do run lots of medium-hard trails in the PNW and have never had an issue with the cap or mounting solution. The scratches just add to the charm. I’m not trying to persuade you to get one over the other. Just providing some information.

Jeep Gladiator Alu Cab Canopy or RSI Smartcap Adventure 1462A4A5-F265-4AB1-A992-50BEF86CDD9C
Thank you so much for your comments I appreciate it. I called the supplier today so my order is in for an AluCab in black. I’m excited to get it.

kaeo_15

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Thank you so much for your comments I appreciate it. I called the supplier today so my order is in for an AluCab in black. I’m excited to get it.
Nice! It’s a great product. Hope it works out the way you want.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have the RLD because it's the one I wanted but of those two, Alu-Cab hands down. RSI looks nice but the Alu-Cab is lighter and I like the 1-piece construction instead of having to actually assemble a cap.

The concern I continue to have with the RSI is the roof capacity but if you don't plan on a lot of weight up there you should be fine either way.
Could you share what you prefer about the RLD. I realize the OP didn't ask about that, but I'm curious what you like better.

Thanks

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Could you share what you prefer about the RLD. I realize the OP didn't ask about that, but I'm curious what you like better.

Thanks
The thing is one-piece like I mentioned and incredibly rock solid. Even my heavy ass standing on the roof I felt no real deflection so it gave me confidence that I can stick anything I need up there without worry. It's a fair bit lighter than any fiberglass options and a lot lighter than the HD fiberglass with the internal cage - my cap and the Rhino platform on it are only slightly heavier than the ARE CX.

I also like the mounting solution which is L-brackets that utilize the trail rails instead of clamps. There is a fair bit of overhang because of this but IMO it looks a lot more finished and it's never in the way.

The only complaints I've heard about it so far were from the initial runs... they were originally more tapered (I think just a resized Taco/Hilux version) which looked wrong and the forward lip didn't account for the depth in the corners of the bed. Mine is a v2.0 which is a lot more square and has the adjusted forward lip but the forward holes were off and I had to drill two new 3/8" ones to mount it. I believe they've "fixed" that issue but frankly, I wish it came without holes because round holes make for a much better fit than slots.

DiabolicalDianoga

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland, Subaru Forester
Occupation
Admin
So with the Alu-cab, is there a way to mount it if you don't have the trail rail system?

Sponsored

LaterGator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Gladiator
So with the Alu-cab, is there a way to mount it if you don't have the trail rail system?
No. The weight of the canopy is transferred to the rails instead of the bed caps. If you don't have trail rails, you can get Mopar or BuiltRight rail kits.

bl1ndman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JTR EcoDiesel
Alu Cab Canopy or RSI Smartcap Adventure

Ok I'm struggling on deciding which canopy.
These are the pros and cons that I know for me:

- Alu-cab I can have delivered in 3-4 weeks. RSi is 4-5 months.
- Alu-cab is $200 less.
- RSI looks better.
- Accessories are about the same?
- I cannot find how much they weigh.

Has anyone seen these 2 canopies and if they have which one do they prefer?
The only official dealer for Alu-Cab in BC is Adventure Trucks in Kelowna. I have an Alu-Cab on order with them, so far my biggest complaint is how are they can be to get in contact with.

OP
OP
ZabbaJones

ZabbaJones

First Name
Andreas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Business Owner
The only official dealer for Alu-Cab in BC is Adventure Trucks in Kelowna. I have an Alu-Cab on order with them, so far my biggest complaint is how are they can be to get in contact with.
Yes I have one on order too. They said their shipment left on Friday and they had one for me. He said about 2-3 weeks when they should have it.
Your right. They don’t respond or answer the phone very good, maybe they are a small business. Maybe our cabs arrive together and I might see you there.

bl1ndman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JTR EcoDiesel
Yes I have one on order too. They said their shipment left on Friday and they had one for me. He said about 2-3 weeks when they should have it.
Your right. They don’t respond or answer the phone very good, maybe they are a small business. Maybe our cabs arrive together and I might see you there.
Mine should have arrived or it should be arriving any day.