Alu Cab Canopy or RSI Smartcap Adventure

MNMojave

First Name
Hank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
What is the purpose of your cap? I bird hunt and want a cap to haul my dog crate in. I need windows and screens. Of the 2, I've only see the RSI in person. Sadly it won't work for my use. Didn't care for how the windows worked and I'm leery of an unlined shell and condensation... leaning toward ARE at the moment, but looking to learn as much as possible before I drop the cash.....
Why won't it work for dog kennel.. that is our main purpose too
Sponsored

AKID_RBM

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Mojave, 23 GCL, 15 Cherokee TH
Occupation
Construction
Why won't it work for dog kennel.. that is our main purpose too
I wasn't a fan of the windows and how they operate; and want screens. Probably work fine for a lot of people, just wasn't what I am looking for.

Deleted member 28696

I went the the RSI SmartCap Evo-A,
I didn't want glass side doors as in the Evo-Sport.
You can also purchase a security grill for the back window.
The lines look great with the Gladiator, really tough look. I can also mount things to the wing doors since they are steel. They also have mounting panels on the doors inside. They have a kitchen stove kit that mount inside the side door wings or you can do other cool things with it as well. I'm probably going to mount my recovery boards external on the doors eventually. there's a locking MAXTRAX recovery board mount that will work for this purpose. I also got the platform rack where I'm probably going to mount my spare on top, it has a 750lb load rating for roof top tents etc. The only thing I'm not sure about are the latches and locks, they can be finicky. Overall I'm super glad I went this way for me it's the best.

Gladiator KC LITES_L9A6979-KW_2000 Size.jpg

Mac Attack

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Will be buying Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Whatever you want...I can supervise!
There is a reason that the Alucab canopy thread is shorter than the RSI canopy thread. The Alucab is better built, puts the load on the trail rails using shims/brackets instead of the on the bed caps using c-clamps, is one piece aluminum and light weight. The gasket under the canopy simply seals the canopy to the bed and carries no load.

I haven't had any problems with dust in the bed but I also use a ecoological gapshield to seal the gap between tailgate and the bed.

The Alucab canopy is much more utilitarian in design aesthetics, which fits my view of offroad capability. The other canopies are more fashionable designs like most other onroad trucks use.

I also have the ammo can rack across the front of the canopy for storage and the cupboards with builtright molle panels on each side for tool and recovery gear storage.

Jeep Gladiator Alu Cab Canopy or RSI Smartcap Adventure Gladiator KC LITES_L9A6979-KW_2000 Size
What rear bumper?

Toten Unterhosen

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
My experience may not be the norm and I will admit to being frustrated. However…

I went through a similar quandary last year on which of the canopies to order. Like you, RSI and Alu-cab were the top two. As my local shop is a RSI reseller and I was told I would have it in the next inbound shipment (2.5-months out) I pulled the trigger. Well, that was late July of 2021 and I still don’t have my RSI cap… 6-months later.

In the interim, a few things have happened. I’ve kept checking in with my local shop who keeps checking in with RSI who keeps feeding them new ETAs and missing them. RSI has revised the weights of their canopies, increasing the stated weight by close to 30-lbs. Other local shops seem to have Alu-cab stock frequently and the weight difference between them is now ~65-lbs, give or take. Given the generally low payload of the Gladiator, 65-lbs is a decent about of weight for other stuff. And, anxiously awaiting my canopy, I’ve been reading any thread here and elsewhere about I folks experiences.

So, to my mind —
  • RSI weights a lot more than Alu-cab, and
  • costs $300+ more than Alu-cab (depending on when and where you purchased), and
  • you have to assemble the RSI yourself (or pay for assembly), and
  • Alu-cab have more off-the-shelf (and available) accessories (if you like that stuff), and
  • you’ll probably lay hands on an Alu-cab sooner than a RSI (based on my experience), but
  • RSI looks pretty dang slick and has some nice features.
I know that availability has been impacted by Covid and all if the related supply-chain issues. However, in hindsight, and after reading all the forum topics on RSI and canopies in general, I wish I had purchased an Alu-cab. And may yet…

Sponsored

T-Rock

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mohave; 2020 WK2 Trailhawk
My experience may not be the norm and I will admit to being frustrated. However…

I went through a similar quandary last year on which of the canopies to order. Like you, RSI and Alu-cab were the top two. As my local shop is a RSI reseller and I was told I would have it in the next inbound shipment (2.5-months out) I pulled the trigger. Well, that was late July of 2021 and I still don’t have my RSI cap… 6-months later.

In the interim, a few things have happened. I’ve kept checking in with my local shop who keeps checking in with RSI who keeps feeding them new ETAs and missing them. RSI has revised the weights of their canopies, increasing the stated weight by close to 30-lbs. Other local shops seem to have Alu-cab stock frequently and the weight difference between them is now ~65-lbs, give or take. Given the generally low payload of the Gladiator, 65-lbs is a decent about of weight for other stuff. And, anxiously awaiting my canopy, I’ve been reading any thread here and elsewhere about I folks experiences.

So, to my mind —
  • RSI weights a lot more than Alu-cab, and
  • costs $300+ more than Alu-cab (depending on when and where you purchased), and
  • you have to assemble the RSI yourself (or pay for assembly), and
  • Alu-cab have more off-the-shelf (and available) accessories (if you like that stuff), and
  • you’ll probably lay hands on an Alu-cab sooner than a RSI (based on my experience), but
  • RSI looks pretty dang slick and has some nice features.
I know that availability has been impacted by Covid and all if the related supply-chain issues. However, in hindsight, and after reading all the forum topics on RSI and canopies in general, I wish I had purchased an Alu-cab. And may yet…
Did you ever get your RSI? or decide to buy something else?
I just ordered an RSI last week, knowing I have a wait, but am interested in how things are turning out for others.

Toten Unterhosen

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Did you ever get your RSI? or decide to buy something else?
I just ordered an RSI last week, knowing I have a wait, but am interested in how things are turning out for others.
I'm still waiting on the RSI. I spoke with the folks I ordered from again and was able to learn that they aren't dealing with RSI directly, rather Keystone Automotive who is a RSI distributer. The shop isn't getting good info from Keystone and they now have close to 10 caps they are waiting for. When it does show up, I'm selling it and not even bothering to unpackaged it.

However... I was able to contact another local retailer who carries Alu-cab. I called on a Thursday, they happened to have at least one Gladiator cap installed and it was installed the following Monday. Frankly, it blows my mind that I could go from order to install inside of 5-days after waiting so long for RSI.

Had the Alu-cab cap just over a week now and am very happy with it. While it is boxier and doesn't have the windows, I'm not missing them and really like the massive side doors for access. The think is LIGHT and I can't even tell it's back there. On a Mojave I only noticed 1/4" - 3/8" decrease in ground to bottom of rear fender measurement. Been on and off road and no issues. There is a very slight bit of dust intrusion, but nothing egregious.

Snake Eyes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sport S Max Tow, 2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
I did not want to lose the view out my Gladiator back window over the bed sides that would come with the RSI EVOaAdventure, so we were looking at the RSIEvo Sport with glass until I saw the below video. We dont need height, but do want realbed security while keep the larger visability through back window so we are just going to go with a Diamond Back bed cover.

T-Rock

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mohave; 2020 WK2 Trailhawk
I did not want to lose the view out my Gladiator back window over the bed sides that would come with the RSI EVOaAdventure, so we were looking at the RSIEvo Sport with glass until I saw the below video. We dont need height, but do want realbed security while keep the larger visability through back window so we are just going to go with a Diamond Back bed cover.

I saw that video, and it raised questions for me also...but I just opted for the Adventure to get away from the glass. In my case I need the cap space more than the security else a diamond back would work great.

Tanners Owner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Retired Soldier and DAC
I went thru this recently and like another here, went with RLD. Am happy with it this far, but like others, had to wait ~4 months.

I enjoy the flexibility of the side and rear opening, the rack for my ez rack. The comments about condensation is correct.

I too use it for for my dog, with bird hunting in mind. My version has windows, so am not concerned with ventilation.

Sponsored

Deleted member 28696

I can still see out my rear window with the EVO Adventure it's just the side windows that are metal instead of glass which to me are awesome. I suppose if you want a dog riding in the truck bed in a crate or something you'd want the side window model but I figure I'd want a dog in the cab with me anyway so it was a non-issue. The Diamond Back looks like a great option as well but I wanted the extra height in back which was why I went with the cap instead. After seeing the above video I wanted the metal version but I also like the toughness that fits the look of the Gladiator vs glass.

Blitzinger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Went with rsi as alucab looked too oddly boxy and the lines of the smartcap just grooved with the gladiator. No regrets and I’m actually looking at alucab tent to throw on top
Sponsored