Sponsored

Any max tow owners regret not getting a rubicon?

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
Nope.

I learned years ago a LOT of rubi buyers take all the nice shiney parts off their more expensive vehicles and I can get them cheaper. So I get the tow capacity and all the little rubi parts I wanted, and none of the rubi parts I didn't want.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Nope, I bought a JKU mountain edition for 22,000 with 19,000 miles on it in 2012. Built it as good as or maybe better than I could of bought a Rubicon for. Added lockers that I probably never used. Only thing I did t do was 4.10 gears which I should of done instead of the lockers. The JT Max tow has 4.10 gears and wide track axles and can tow more. If I need lockers I can do that for under $1800. Don't need none of the creature comforts. The cheapest Rubi was $49,000 sticker and mine was $37,000 out the door. I would of removed bumpers and lifted it so those things would of been a waste and I can do quick disconnects on mine for the sway bars, don't need electric sway bar disconnects. I added Rubicon springs to my front and Rubi fox shocks for $290. Tires would of came off and the wheels because not a fan of the Rubi Wheels and I'm.not running anything under 35's. For $40,000 all in mine is sitting like this. For another $1800 I'd basically have a Rubicon other than electric Sway bar Discos, so I'm loving not buying a Rubicon

Jeep Gladiator Any max tow owners regret not getting a rubicon? PXL_20201219_123525410

TheHime

First Name
Jaime
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep gladiator
No regrets. I get to build it the way I want. If I bought a rubi I would have kept it as is, but with the max tow I get the tow capability with the build I want.

Sponsored

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
No was overkill for me. If it would have been cheaper I may have bought it just to have those things to use if the opportunity came around but it was so far out of my budget. As other have said I just bought up a bunch of stuff taken off of Rubi and put on mine I wouldn't mind having lockers but I can add that down the road if more off roading becomes the norm for now the beach and back roads don't require that.

jtimbrook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon, 1946 CJ2A
Build Thread
Link
Considering I traded in a Rubi JLU for my Gladiator I can say emphatically no regrets. For what I do and a slight shift in my outdoor pursuits the Max Tow is perfect. If I get down the road and need a locker then I'll install one but so far so good...

Steak.Sauce

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Nope, total overkill for me, I have ZERO plans to ever do rock crawling. Hauling gear and toys is why I bought a truck, if I wanted to crawl I would have bought a wrangler.

Plus the $10K I saved goes a LOOOOONG way for the upgrades I want. Good question though.

Sponsored

CinciAv

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU, 2004 Rubicon, 1972 CJ6
Have a 2004 tj rubicon. The low range does not fit well to the type of offroading i do. But the lockers are nice.

Max tow sport gets you the 4.10 rear end and the limited slip rear end. With the computer traction contol, you get most of the benefits of a rear locker.

Anything beyond what a rubicon has, i can live without. And saved a good chunk of money.

Bonanza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Max Tow Punk'n
Nah. The only thing different at this point in my ownership is lockers and the 4:1 T-case. The 37s I bought with the savings have so far conquered every trail I've tried. I will say there was ONE time I was annoyed to see one wheel stationary on a waterfall climb, but I re-adjusted my line and got over. And, I'm wondering if engaging the crawl control would've helped.

The 4:1 T-Case is a blessing and a curse. There's a very small amount of time I want that much reduction, whereas the other amount of time I'm happier with a better speed range in 4low. Meaning, the time I'm in 4lo, first gear is pretty rare relatively speaking. A bigger tire like a 37 naturally crawls a bit slower than a 35 by rotational diameter, so the regular T-case is perfectly fine.

Front and rear Bumper- replaced.
Sway bar electric disconnect- Annoying to have it re-engage at 20mph. Had it before, don't miss it.
Tires- replaced.
Wheels- replaced
Suspension- replaced
Rock rails- replaced.
Decals- meh
4:1- no lost sleep. pros/cons to both
Lockers- Yes I'd like these given the option, but I haven't needed them yet.
Off-Road + button-- not sure about this one. Seems like something I'd like.
Horn sounding for tire fill-- useless, I use a valve remover.

Now the better question is whether I would've gotten a Mohave given the choice. While I don't regret the Sport S, if I had to do it again now I'd get a Mohave.

ZTMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150, 2016 JKU WW
I looked at the Sports and intended getting a Sport. I was shopping value, not price. I do not keep my vehicles that long, so I figured out I would make out better trading the Rubi vs a Sport in a few years.

I think all Gladiator models have their attributes. Pick one that suits your needs without regret.