Sponsored

Any reason to avoid Manual Transmission?

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator Rubicon, triumph rocket iii roadster
The Jeep Gladiator manual is easy and smooth. At first I had to get used to the light clutch, but once I did, I realized the light clutch is what makes it a dream manual to daily drive.
After 13k plus miles and no issues, it’s been a winner for me. Still a winner on 37’s with stock gearing.
879D2EBF-04BE-44C3-B893-0F464D6BFB56.jpeg
That's great to hear that it's fine on 37s!
Sponsored

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
<snip>
The A/T is actually pretty decent and this is coming from a guy who normally tries to avoid an A/T as much as possible.

It really came down to knowing that I just would not enjoy the Jeep manual transmission as much as I normally do in my cars.
<snip>
My thoughts exactly. The A/T, for me, was a much more pleasant experience.

That, and a wife with a shoulder injury...

Kevin

Choatecav

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Sales
I was firm in wanting a manual. I am very pleased with mine.
It is very light and after driving it for a couple of weeks, I jumped into my old F350 that I use for towing horse trailers and it was like pushing over a tree, ha. But, I love it and it enhances the Jeep experience, in my humble opinion.

TroutFishingInAmerica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
A manual transmission is work. It requires mental input and physical output and synchronization between the two. ALMOST anyone can easily master it. I would have brought something else if I couldn't get my Gladiator in a manual. You feel your vehicles heart beat, you know your RPM, you know what gear you're in. It's part of the driver experience for me. I go for drives just to drive, explore, experience, have fun. A automatic transmission would absolutely ruin the fun and connection for me. Everyone else can shift into the big "D" and hit the adaptive cruise control, fine with me, but it's definitely not me.

Sponsored

Choatecav

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Sales
A manual transmission is work. It requires mental input and physical output and synchronization between the two. ALMOST anyone can easily master it. I would have brought something else if I couldn't get my Gladiator in a manual. You feel your vehicles heart beat, you know your RPM, you know what gear you're in. It's part of the driver experience for me. I go for drives just to drive, explore, experience, have fun. A automatic transmission would absolutely ruin the fun and connection for me. Everyone else can shift into the big "D" and hit the adaptive cruise control, fine with me, but it's definitely not me.
Dang........ I wish I had said this.........

Deleted member 30519

I've recently been running 38s from 35s on my 3.73 gears. I actually like how 1st and 2nd are longer and my recent pedal commander mod in city mode woke it up big time. It doesn't bother me not being able to use 5th and 6th gear since I don't do any highway driving. I have around 8k miles and the JT is almost a year old.

Deleted member 30519

Manual transmission now shows gear indicator on the dash after clutch software recall. One more reason to like this!
Hmm I wonder if this is for all trims. I have a sport with the base dash. Did you notice a difference in decreased power after getting the recal done ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Sponsored

Happycoop

First Name
Coop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
The Jeep Gladiator manual is easy and smooth. At first I had to get used to the light clutch, but once I did, I realized the light clutch is what makes it a dream manual to daily drive.
After 13k plus miles and no issues, it’s been a winner for me. Still a winner on 37’s with stock gearing.
879D2EBF-04BE-44C3-B893-0F464D6BFB56.jpeg
Love seeing this as I just picked up mine and want to go 37s but was worried I’d have to regear immediately with it being a manual.

jimbom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 6-Speed Rubicon Gator Gladiator, 2015 Infiniti Q60 6-Speed Sport Coupe (wife's, really), 2003 5-speed Honda Civic Coupe, 1960-something Jeep Gladiator (Matchbox)
Manual transmission now shows gear indicator on the dash after clutch software recall. One more reason to like this!
Oh man, THAT is a feature I've always wanted on all my manual transmissions!! I was planning to avoid this recall, but I may have just changed my mind. Guess I'll just cross my fingers that this "fix" doesn't affect normal operations.

rdboyd

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland, 1971 Jeep Cj5
Occupation
Product Development Engineer
I have about 2500 miles on my Overland with the manual transmission, 3.73 gearing, and stock tires. I like the MT, and I like the fact I can get 21 - 22 mpg out of it. I have been driving manual transmission vehicles all my life, as has my wife. I have always thought that a solid mechanical connection between the engine and the wheels made more sense. Automatic transmissions have improved vastly over the years, but they still relegate the engine to being the power source for what is essentially a hydraulic pump. I also prefer manuals because I can change out a clutch or throw-out bearing myself. If an automatic fails, there is nothing I can do but tow it somewhere for a replacement transmission, as happened on the only automatic transmission vehicle I ever bought for myself.

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Certified Emergency Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting. Thanks for sharing
Sponsored