First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 VW GLI, 2020 Mercedes GLB, 2022 Mojave
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Hey members from back in 2020, it's me in the future reporting back on 2022 changes.

WE GOT ANOTHER COLOR IN THE EXTENSIVE AND BORING GRAY/SILVER LINEUP!! YAAAAAY!
Sponsored

Undecided

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport S w/ Max Tow!
Occupation
Cybersecurity
I used to say that as well. The flip side is that Jeep sticks with HERE (a defunct Nokia company) as opposed to Google with an underlying android OS that would make things easier. The takeaway is that you pay $149 in exchange for keeping your constant locations and stops private from google. Jeep COULD do free updates but it would require using a different company. Apple would be great but they are not subsidizing out their maps product like google does.
I’m keen on privacy and google is free for a reason. Plus let’s be honest…. Who the heck uses the navigation with CarPlay and Android Auto both available???
I did not know this, but glad to see them at least out of Google.
Looking into HERE - I am actually pretty impressed with what they do. Some of the techniques are similar to how Apple does it.

I often use the in car nav when I am camping without cell signal. But it goes right back to CarPlay once I get to signal lol

booneja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport (hers) and Overland (His)
Occupation
RCAF Veteran/ Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I would love to see a 4Xe version for the JT, with increased fuel prices across the glob (don't see it coming down any time soon, no matter what any elected official says, North American gov'ts don't really have much say in global pricing) of course the power plant would have to make sense with the added weight of the JT so it might be a few years before this gets released:fingerscrossed:

FYSA, my JT is my DD and I commute about 35 miles one way for work

tampahoosier

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Diesel Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cybersecurity - Cyber Intelligence
Vehicle Showcase
I did not know this, but glad to see them at least out of Google.
Looking into HERE - I am actually pretty impressed with what they do. Some of the techniques are similar to how Apple does it.

I often use the in car nav when I am camping without cell signal. But it goes right back to CarPlay once I get to signal lol

Forgot about the no cell thing, good point!
Yeah HERE is pretty cool. If I remember correctly, and it’s been a few years, they are big in Europe.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Also, I heard they are going to make the keyfob more ruggedized. Will be a little bigger, but look way more hearty.
I'd have thought more people would've jumped on this as there are so many threads about the fob being big enough.

I special-ordered my Overland. I did not get the 8.4, because it was way too much money for the only perceived benefit to me, which would have been the navigation. (Instead, I bought an Overlander from Garmin).

So it seems I just lucked out, if the 7" is reliable and the 8.4" isn't.
8.4 also comes with the upgraded Alpine stereo and so much more.

Maybe my opinion on it needs to separated into two categories. The info screen itself is actually not bad at all. I like ability to customize the info behind the steering wheel. I thought that giving us the ability to choose what info is displayed in those 3 positions at the top is really nice. So that's just navigating information while I'm in the truck. It works pretty well.

However, my negative opinion is on all the features warranting a name like "u connect". Even the logo has wifi like bands above the U. All features besides the "remote" are 100% broken for me, and I've posted this complaint in another thread where I went into more detail and several other people jumped in and said they have the same issue. I'll break this down really quickly:
Take the UConnect App on your phone. It should have 3 tabs at the bottom. One of which is "remote" for locking doors and starting it. That works most of the time. The other two are "information" and "Location". They don't exist for me and many other people. Jeep has no idea why. And Sirius has no idea why. They can't fix it. In those tabs, you are supposed to get health status updates and be able to search an address on your phone and send it to your truck's nav.
In your manual on page 307, it lists how you can interact with these features via a Google Home device. I can say "hey google" and start my truck while I'm getting ready to leave in the morning. But all the other features, like "how much fuel do I have" are broken in MANY MANY ways. health status and information of any kind is broken on Google, on the Android App, and the Mopar.com website. Errors all over the place, and no one cares to fix any of it.

So ask you: Why are they calling this system "u connect"? is it because you get inside your truck and push buttons with your fingers? No, that's been around for 100 years. Is it because you can connect your phone to the system with a USB cable and play Spotify? No, that's "Android Auto". Download the actual "U connect" app and see just how much YOU can CONNECT to your Jeep. Chances are pretty good you will have issues with it.

Also, Jeep is selling a particular feature about getting information from your Jeep when you are away from it, such as Tire Pressure, Fuel gauge and even the location of your Jeep on the map. However, it is BY DESIGN that Jeep only tries to get health information once per month. In my opinion, knowing how much fuel is in my tank once per month is useless. If I'm running late in the morning, and my wife drove my truck yesterday, I'd like to know how much fuel is the tank before I leave. Tesla is all real time information. All it takes is a Wifi connection. I've been controlling my house's HVAC remotely for almost 10 years already.

So my scathing review of "u can't connect" is for three main reasons:
  1. The name. If they called it anything else, I wouldn't care so much. But it's broken by title.
  2. Jeep needs to compete with vehicles gaining smart phone and smart home functionality. They are going to get caught with their pants down in a couple more years.
  3. This Mopar system has already been around for years, and they still haven't fixed the issues. It's just negligence to allow tech issues to persist for years.
So 2022... Maybe we can actually CONNECT to the Jeep and do things....anything.
Any luck? My app works great outside the vehicle for remote start.

Do you purchase the $149 updates? Already getting the email's from MOPAR to purchase the Nav Map Update for my 2020 JT Overland. I use my iPhone through Carplay for nav. IMO the updates should be included at least for 3 years and dynamic.
No major issues with the 8" U-connect so far, Glitched out once, but a ignition power down corrected it. Also wasn't sure that the glitch wasn't caused by my wireless USB Carplay adapter.
I got 6 months for $60.

Sponsored

DLAW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 Nissan Pathfinder, '08 Honda Civic, '12 Honda CR-V, '16 Honda Odyssey, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Predicting the future
Any luck? My app works great outside the vehicle for remote start.
Yes and no. Something magically changed earlier this year. I don't know when. I don't know how. But many of the issues are resolved. I was also getting timely alerts about fuel being low the same day it was low, which was a sudden huge upgrade. to know that my fuel was low TODAY, instead of a week ago is actually quite useful.....who knew.

I lost the "remote" tab on the Uconnect App because my Guardian free trial has ended. I wish I didn't have to pay a subscription for simple tech like this. I really liked being able to lock my doors remotely if I felt like I forgot.

I say "no" because good lord I have so many issues with connecting my phone when I get in. Both wireless and plug. AndroidAuto with the USB is very buggy. I get crashes sometimes. The Waze map sometimes decides to never show up, and I have to back out to the radio and then try the Waze again to get it to work. I also upgraded to the Pixel 6 Pro and still have same issues so it's clearly not my phones fault. Bluetooth connectivity is annoying sometimes. Especially when I'm just hopping in and driving and then realize I can't just simply play the same Spotify Podcast that I have been listening to everyday. I need to manually look at my phone, bring up Spotify, find the podcast and play it manually. The alternative is to plug it in and use the Android Auto Spotify, but I shouldn't have to play around with plugs for all the short 10 minute drives I do.

Maybe there are some settings I need to tweak. But the fact that I'm still having so many annoying issues with "connectivity" still warrants my hatred for "U Can't Connect".

Also....whats with all the apps" "My Jeep", "My Mopar", and "Uconnect". everytime I open one on my phone, it's telling me to try the other app.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
I also upgraded to the Pixel 6 Pro and still have same issues so it's clearly not my phones fault.
I'm on Android 12 and cant play audio when connected via USB.

JET_83

Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Overland
I would be happy with a Uconnect system that actually works. That software is dogsh**.
2022, It needs to connect to your home wifi and provide an update on status whenever requested, without a 4G subscription, without a 3rd party involved like Sirius.

Currently, you ask "hey google, ask Jeep how much fuel I have". Maybe you are lucky if you get a response. If you do, chances are the information is 2 weeks old. That doesn't help anyone to know how much fuel I had 2 weeks ago.
For a system that has been around for years, there is not excuse for how bad it still is.
And the fact that it's even called "u connect" is a joke. That implies you can connect. But you can't lol. It's so broken.
I respectfully disagree, it’s the best infotainment in the business, the only thing lacking is wireless Apple CarPlay and Android auto. I feel like a bigger screen would be nice once connected to those though.

ecidiego

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
I respectfully disagree, it’s the best infotainment in the business, the only thing lacking is wireless Apple CarPlay and Android auto. I feel like a bigger screen would be nice once connected to those though.
I'm GLAD it doesn't have wireless AA. I don't want my phone always connecting. I love that I have to intentionally plug it in.

Sponsored

DLAW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 Nissan Pathfinder, '08 Honda Civic, '12 Honda CR-V, '16 Honda Odyssey, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Predicting the future
I said that 15 months ago. Many of the issues we had with this system have been resolved thanks to thousands of complaints to customer service.

MikeVeee

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Retired
I said that 15 months ago. Many of the issues we had with this system have been resolved thanks to thousands of complaints to customer service.
I'm a Jeep newbie and just last week got my 2022 Gladiator Mojave with the 8.4 UConnect System. What a fun truck, LOVE IT! Also love how helpful this forum is, especially with all the mod ideas from people that have actually done them.

Are you guys saying that the current UConnect System still DOES NOT support Wireless Android Auto, and still requires the phone (Pixel 6, Android 12 w AA built in) to be connected via USB to use AA?

I can't get it to work wirelessly even tho my phone setting in AA is set to use wireless connection... Still only works via the USB.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I'm a Jeep newbie and just last week got my 2022 Gladiator Mojave with the 8.4 UConnect System. What a fun truck, LOVE IT! Also love how helpful this forum is, especially with all the mod ideas from people that have actually done them.

Are you guys saying that the current UConnect System still DOES NOT support Wireless Android Auto, and still requires the phone (Pixel 6, Android 12 w AA built in) to be connected via USB to use AA?

I can't get it to work wirelessly even tho my phone setting in AA is set to use wireless connection... Still only works via the USB.
Yes, a USB cable is required. The current Uconnect system does not have built-in support for wireless Android Auto.

OP
OP

Beowulf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
I’m just hoping for:
-Hurricane engine
-Recon extreme package
-Uconnect Next Gen
-AWD like the 392