Sponsored

Any suggestions to replace the Halogens with LEDs? Also fog lights!

Rocco-1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator 80th Anniversary Edition
Occupation
Musician
I have a set of J. W. Speaker 8700 Evolution J2 LED Headlights with the carbon fiber patterned bezel. They are DOT & ECE compliant new in the box. https://www.jwspeaker.com/products/...8700-evolution-j2-series-off-road-headlights/

I'd bought a set and they sent me two. When I informed them of their mistake I received this reply:

Michael!

You are the surprise winner of 2 headlights now! This was a test of your character and integrity and you passed with flying colors! So enjoy it, keep it as a spare, sell it, you deserve it for being an awesome human being! I am being serious here, thank you very much but you won the Unofficial Unspoken JW Speaker Character and Integrity Annual Contest! Have a great weekend! ENJOY!

Anthony

If you're interested, make me an offer. They will go to the best offer. Good luck!

Rocco-1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Musician
I don't use led's or HID bulbs in halogen housings. They're not DOT approved or designed for anything other than a halogen bulb.
Actually, there are LED's that are DOT and ECE compliant. The answer to the housing issue is to use housings/buckets specifically designed for the LED you're going to install.

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator 2019 Porsche Macan S 2018 BMW M2
Actually, there are LED's that are DOT and ECE compliant. The answer to the housing issue is to use housings/buckets specifically designed for the LED you're going to install.
So there are LED's that are DOT approved for halogen housings? Must be something new. Link? I'd like to read up on it.

Sponsored

Garemlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Nacho Willys Gladiator
So there are LED's that are DOT approved for halogen housings? Must be something new. Link? I'd like to read up on it.

I don't even see how this is possible. Halogen reflector housings are not designed to diffuse LED or HID lighting. And even if some bulbs are skimming through DOT and ECE certification, this would definitely fall under the "just because you can, doesn't mean that you should" blanket.

I have been into LED automotive lighting ever since adding a Trucklite 7" LED headlight to one of my Harleys back in probably 2009. My recommendation to people is always use a dedicated quality LED headlight housing. And save all of the colored lights and halo rings for the car shows. The scattered light thrown by the wrong type of bulb in the wrong type of housing is dangerous to oncoming traffic. And the colored and multi-colored lights on the front of a vehicle are very distracting to other drivers. I don't know how many times I have been driving and caught red and blue lights on the front of the vehicle and I immediately start looking for a way to get out of the way. Only to discover it's someone with some silly red and blue DRLs.

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't even see how this is possible. Halogen reflector housings are not designed to diffuse LED or HID lighting. And even if some bulbs are skimming through DOT and ECE certification, this would definitely fall under the "just because you can, doesn't mean that you should" blanket.

I have been into LED automotive lighting ever since adding a Trucklite 7" LED headlight to one of my Harleys back in probably 2009. My recommendation to people is always use a dedicated quality LED headlight housing. And save all of the colored lights and halo rings for the car shows. The scattered light thrown by the wrong type of bulb in the wrong type of housing is dangerous to oncoming traffic. And the colored and multi-colored lights on the front of a vehicle are very distracting to other drivers. I don't know how many times I have been driving and caught red and blue lights on the front of the vehicle and I immediately start looking for a way to get out of the way. Only to discover it's someone with some silly red and blue DRLs.
That pretty much echos my sentiment. HID and LED bulbs have a different output pattern than halogen. The halogen housings are designed with that pattern in mind when they focus the assembly. Light from a bulb thats emitted farther in or out or in a different direction from a halogen bulb won't put out the correct beam . You get much more stray light that can bother oncoming traffic.

Fcmalie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2021 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Highbeam offroad Drifter series headlights have been awesome for the past year for me. 4500 lumen low beam and 10,000 lumen high beam per headlight. Also comes with a lifetime warranty.

Tango270

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Computer Systems Technician

Rocco-1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Musician
My JW Speaker required
My JW Speaker Model 8700 Evo J2’s required dedicated housings/buckets. I have an extra set of these outstanding headlights for sale brand new in the box, if you’re interested.

Sponsored

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My JW Speaker required

My JW Speaker Model 8700 Evo J2’s required dedicated housings/buckets. I have an extra set of these outstanding headlights for sale brand new in the box, if you’re interested.
I already have LED housings/lamps but thanks.

Rozik169

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator overland
Occupation
Pa turnpike
Just finished mine today. Oracle Headlights and Fogs. Very easy install and for the most part plug and play. Easy headlight adjustment. Much brighter lights. I went with the blackout look and Halo headlights. My 80th Anniversary took fog lights part #5846 504.

Jeep Gladiator Any suggestions to replace the Halogens with LEDs? Also fog lights! PXL_20210317_010740604

Jeep Gladiator Any suggestions to replace the Halogens with LEDs? Also fog lights! PXL_20210317_010740604
What oracle headlights did u get the 9 inch or the 7 if u got the 7 is the gap bad let me know thanks

mdyucca

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Occupation
Retired
What oracle headlights did u get the 9 inch or the 7 if u got the 7 is the gap bad let me know thanks
I used the Oracle Oculus 9 inch so there is no gap. Fogs are also Oracle. They both use existing mounting points and are plug and play.
Sponsored